Reinforced 10 strand Cat5 copper 4-wire braid
54" in length with 1.1ohms if resistance
9 + 1 orange/silver glass beads with 1 acting as the adjustable choker
"Orange" Sennheiser plug
MMCX connectors
#12 clear acoustic tubing for strain relief
12lbs pull strength for 2 wires leading to cIEMs

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #14,403 of 16,312
This thread is blessed! I have gone through 50% of the pages and I have been blown away! This is the best thread on the next and i can't wait to start constructing some cables of  my own. Never again will i buy the overpriced, generic crap from the local retailers. Unless it's on sale of course e.e. 

Feb 7, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #14,404 of 16,312
Made some 6 inch interconnects for my bedroom rig.  Mini RCA jacks I got from Ebay, Mogami W2697, and Techflex sleeve.  They aren't the prettiest, but they sound good.  They measure out at 3.2-3.5 mOhms.  That's not too high, and balanced enough for my bedroom rig.  Now I've got to make a USB cable to match. 
dt880smile.png

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #14,405 of 16,312
  Made some 6 inch interconnects for my bedroom rig.  Mini RCA jacks I got from Ebay, Mogami W2697, and Techflex sleeve.  They aren't the prettiest, but they sound good.  They measure out at 3.2-3.5 mOhms.  That's not too high, and balanced enough for my bedroom rig.  Now I've got to make a USB cable to match. 
dt880smile.png

Nice work. Did you get the techflex from amazon or eBay? What gauge wire did you use?

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #14,407 of 16,312
Got MCX connectors in that I ordered and decided to start my dual entry detachable cable mods on my beloved ATH AD900's.  I'm going to post the whole conversion.  Enjoy!

Started off by taking the headphones apart of course.  That's a lot of pieces!

The hole on the left cup that the old cable went through was too big!  I filled the hole with some JB Weld, let cure, and drilled it to my desired size.  For the other side I just drilled the hole needed.  The little MCX connectors fit pretty well.

I painted the grills while I had them apart.  I always liked the purple AD700 grills, so I went with a similar color.  The male MCX connectors are tiny too.  I ended up putting a second layer of shrink wrap over them to give a little more surface to grip.

They go in with a little click and hold rather well.

The finished HP's on the stand I'm working on for them.  The purple really pops when the light hits it right.

Plugged into my little Schiit stack in the bedroom ready for some head time!!!  You can see the little strip of red shrink wrap I put between to pieces of black to mark the right side.  I pulled the black pieces up tight to the red while they were still hot and there is almost no seam.

If you look back a couple pages you'll see this cable before the MCX connectors.

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #14,408 of 16,312
Plugged into my little Schiit stack in the bedroom ready for some head time!!!  You can see the little strip of red shrink wrap I put between to pieces of black to mark the right side.  I pulled the black pieces up tight to the red while they were still hot and there is almost no seam.

Nice job. I like seeing these personalized headphones! I also like the subtle red shrink wrap you used to mark the right side.

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #14,409 of 16,312
  Nice job. I like seeing these personalized headphones! I also like the subtle red shrink wrap you used to mark the right side.

Thank you.  I had a lot of fun redoing these HP's.  They are definitely more attractive now than when they were all black and grey.  I'm going to do my DT880's next.  Waiting on more connectors to come in first though.  I wanted to test these MCX connectors out before I buy a bunch of them.

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #14,410 of 16,312
Maybe I should take this project somewhere else. Something tells me this is about to get exponentially more difficult.

Trying to braid 8 wires on my homemade marudi. The wire itself is 35 x 0.05 mm (35/44) Litz wire with silk insulation. The insulation is actually seperating as I'm braiding it. Not sure how functional this one is going to be.

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #14,412 of 16,312

+1, esp. on the thin band of heat shrink.  I marked my two HiFiMAN cables that way.  Much nicer than all red, IMO.

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #14,414 of 16,312
Maybe I should take this project somewhere else. Something tells me this is about to get exponentially more difficult.

Trying to braid 8 wires on my homemade marudi. The wire itself is 35 x 0.05 mm (35/44) Litz wire with silk insulation. The insulation is actually seperating as I'm braiding it. Not sure how functional this one is going to be.

Cute cats :)

where did you get the Litz wires from, Mikes Electronics ?

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #14,415 of 16,312
  very nice
clean work

Thanks, glad you like them.

Quote:

+1, esp. on the thin band of heat shrink.  I marked my two HiFiMAN cables that way.  Much nicer than all red, IMO.

Thanks for liking my work.  I agree on the marking too.  I've seen a lot of cables with red ends, but it just looks off.  My first idea was to got with red and blue for right and left, but it didn't look good either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back