DIY Cable Gallery!!
Apr 28, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #5,656 of 16,309
Hi
I'm thinking about doing a bit of recabling of a pair of cheap senns, just to get started with the DIY. Also, should I F... it up, I'll have a good reason for buying another set of cans.

I found a place where I can buy sommer cable at a reasonable price. I thought of using the SOMMER CABLE - SC-GOBLIN cable. As it is relatively thin and therefore might not seem as bulky on the phones.

As I am a noob, I don't know if sommer cables are any good? And if this particular cable is suited for the assignment.

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #5,658 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean my contraption? I had to solder it in place, while it is plugged in - I don't see a possibility to use any cover over the cables, otherwise I couldn't have soldered it. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

It's hard to explain - though really simple.
What I mean is that you use small pieces of heatshrink to cover your connections (so they don't short). Then over those pieces you put one piece of adhesive heatshrink. That way you don't have to use glue and will probably look better.

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #5,659 of 16,309
Sommer is know for making solid products. If I remember correctly Beyer fitted their T1 with a Sommer cable.
The SC-Goblin apears to have only two conductors, making it necessary to use two runs. It will work of course, but using a balanced microphone cable (starquad/4-core) would probably be a little easier.

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #5,661 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by Handberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi
I'm thinking about doing a bit of recabling of a pair of cheap senns, just to get started with the DIY. Also, should I F... it up, I'll have a good reason for buying another set of cans.

I found a place where I can buy sommer cable at a reasonable price. I thought of using the SOMMER CABLE - SC-GOBLIN cable. As it is relatively thin and therefore might not seem as bulky on the phones.

As I am a noob, I don't know if sommer cables are any good? And if this particular cable is suited for the assignment.

Which Senns are you going to re-cable?

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #5,662 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just made a teeny tiny IC ...

Excellent, I like it & looks great
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Soldered and hot-glued in place, across that angle/edge it's not possible to plug and unplug the cable. ugly, but efficient. ...

Great job, that's got to be the shortest custom IC and I'm sure if looks were an issue to you, you would have dipped it in plasti dip like me and trimmed off the excess
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #5,665 of 16,309
Quote:

You mean the cable, player, amp, and all?
wink.gif

I said it jokingly thus the “wink” as I’m sure performance is more important to you than looks. Although as a side note, the product is so thick that it most likely wouldn't leak to the inside and can easily be trimmed off with X-Acto knife off the metal on plugs and easily peal off the dap & amp. But subsequently I remembered that plasti dip also comes in a spray-on for around $5.00 a can for use on cables and if the dap & amp were to be taped off it would be safer. Regardless, I wouldn’t go thru the trouble as your clear looks fine as is …

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #5,667 of 16,309
Walkgood, I know it was a joke, but the spray-on Plasti-goo sounds indeed very intriguing. I've been looking for a similar product available in Europe for quite some time, but they're all insanely expensive compared to the $6 you paid for your can.

I'm ok with how the cable looks, but I should have been less stingy and cut off another piece of clear Mogami wire, and not used the blue one for the one line... that would have made it a bit more appealing.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #5,669 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by WayTooCrazy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which Senns are you going to re-cable?

A cheap pair of HD205. There are 4 wires in the stock cable, (two ground I would quess, I haven't measured it yet, my multimeter is always low on battery when I need it...
tongue.gif
)

I thought it would be okay to use, the shield as ground?

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #5,670 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by Handberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A cheap pair of HD205. There are 4 wires in the stock cable, (two ground I would quess, I haven't measured it yet, my multimeter is always low on battery when I need it...
tongue.gif
)

I thought it would be okay to use, the shield as ground?

Wouldn't hurt to try, if you can get the cable at a fair price I mean.
But yes, if the shield has good enough conductivity, which it most likely has, it will work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back