Diana Krall Hater's Club
May 27, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #106 of 144
If you don't like a particular music style e.g easy listening jazz and one of the most successful singers/musicians of this style, so what ? Get a life, folks. Enjoy the music that you like and don't give &§$'s behind what you don't like. I would never get the idea to start a xyz haters thread about music or musician I don't like. No one forces me to listen to anything or buy records I don't like. I have seen Dianna Krall live at the Ocean Grove Camp Great Auditorium. There was a severe thunderstorm and power outage and the entire audience was sitting in the dark before the concert started, hot summer and the only AC was the wind blowing into the hall through open doors and windows. She played/sang acoustic for parts and it was a great performance, a unique venue and a absolutely memorable experience. I don't care for her latest record though, just for the record
wink.gif
If you don't like her style just don't listen to her ... and have I mentioned : Get a  l i f e 
biggrin.gif
and be positive
beerchug.gif

But then ... ok, I might have posted in the wrong thread.

May 23, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #107 of 144
Ok, I'm in the club. When she tries to sound 'sexy' (for lack of a better term) it makes my skin crawl. I can't listen to her. Ella, Linda, Sarah, and Billie are some of my favorites.

My two cents.

CJ

May 23, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #108 of 144
Back from the dead...

That's because she is sexy. Her husband, on the other hand, is the antithesis of the adjective. 
smile.gif

May 25, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #109 of 144

I guess it's personal preference.  Take this 1955 classic, 'Cry me a river' sung by Julie London - she made this song famous:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwheXIa8Cl0

Now, I'm not that old (yet) and the 50's look is a bit dated but dang, that voice is soothing and smooth...  :)

Then compare to Krall's version (and don't look at the video - just listen) and that voice doesn't do it for me.  There's something about her voice that's so mundane - plain, almost:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm4E6lzsTfo.

BUT, it's great that we all have different tastes.

Happy Memorial Day!

CJ
:)

May 25, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #110 of 144

I guess it's personal preference.  Take this 1955 classic, 'Cry me a river' sung by Julie London - she made this song famous:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwheXIa8Cl0

Now, I'm not that old (yet) and the 50's look is a bit dated but dang, that voice is soothing and smooth...  :)

Then compare to Krall's version (and don't look at the video - just listen) and that voice doesn't do it for me.  There's something about her voice that's so mundane - plain, almost:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm4E6lzsTfo.

BUT, it's great that we all have different tastes.

Happy Memorial Day!

CJ
:)

I agree about Julie London, great voice and she can sing too.

May 25, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #111 of 144
Julie's got game, no doubt. But to say someone is a "hater" of such a talent because her voice is mundane, is a bit strong.

Not your favorite? OK. A member of her Hater's Club? Nah.

Jun 8, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #113 of 144
In regards to Ms. Krall, her music absolutely fails to move me in any way.

But HATE? This is such a strong word
cool.gif
!

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #115 of 144
I saw Diana live in a tiny club 15 years ago when her international fame was just beginning. No more than 10 people in the audience. Diana did not play that night, as she had as her guest a monster pianist, who was either Mulgrew Miller or Kirk Lightsey, I cannot remember which. The guy offered her to play several times but she simply refused. He wouldn't have proposed if she sucked. It was a great night and not going to talk to her after the show is something I regret to this day. Now you tell me she's a bad artists when such immense musicians will happily gig with her, not to mention her various touring and recording partners, invariably some of the best in the world - Ben Wolfe, Ch. McBride, Russell Malone, Dan Faenhle... Surely it wasn't all about the money. Diana Krall is great and is largely recognized as such. She has to eat with everybody else. Many jazz artists have made similar choices because the music industry game is so skewed against them, including George Benson who famously said, give me a million bucks and I'll make you the best bebop album you ever heard. And tell me if that doesn't rock

Jun 12, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #116 of 144
George Benson has a newer release on HDTracks called "Guitar Man" and damn if it doesn't prove he is still the talent he always was.

He's paid the bills and now he can play and record anything he wants to. A good way to age gracefully and go out with a smile on your face.

Jun 12, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #117 of 144
  I saw Diana live in a tiny club 15 years ago when her international fame was just beginning. No more than 10 people in the audience. Diana did not play that night, as she had as her guest a monster pianist, who was either Mulgrew Miller or Kirk Lightsey, I cannot remember which. The guy offered her to play several times but she simply refused. He wouldn't have proposed if she sucked. It was a great night and not going to talk to her after the show is something I regret to this day. Now you tell me she's a bad artists when such immense musicians will happily gig with her, not to mention her various touring and recording partners, invariably some of the best in the world - Ben Wolfe, Ch. McBride, Russell Malone, Dan Faenhle... Surely it wasn't all about the money. Diana Krall is great and is largely recognized as such. She has to eat with everybody else. Many jazz artists have made similar choices because the music industry game is so skewed against them, including George Benson who famously said, give me a million bucks and I'll make you the best bebop album you ever heard. And tell me if that doesn't rock

Not bad, here's Ms. Fitzgerald's version

Jun 15, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #118 of 144
Guitar Man has been out for a couple of years now, it's a great album. Benson is an extraordinary talent. There's enough jazz on Guitar Man for George to show he's still on top, but it isn't a pure jazz record - although I don't mind, and I'm sure Benson can live with it too. To be honest I didn't get it for the Norah Jones cover. In interviews he's hinted at how he's not totally at liberty to record what he wants, and he's used crowdfunding for some recent albums of his (not sure if it was the case with Guitar Man). To me it's puzzling that one of the world's best jazz guitarists doesn't have full artistic freedom and has to use crowdfunding. 

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #119 of 144
That's interesting to know. Disappointing, but interesting. 
confused_face(1).gif

But it does show that modern day pop artists can live in mansions, but the most talented Jazz musicians live in modest homes on Long Island...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back