Diana Krall Hater's Club
Feb 15, 2009 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 144

rocker

100+ Head-Fier
I'm sorry, but I just hate Diana Krall, Holly Cole and all of these tepid, boring, white bread 'jazz' performers...I just don't get it, I really don't. Like last night on 'Hot Air' on CBC radio (in Canada) they played a couple of Krall covers (again) then followed it up with an Ella Fitzgerald number - it was like sitting in a fetid darkened bedroom with your old dog snoring then getting up and opening the curtains to see the sun-shining beautiful world of nature outside...what were they thinking? Now I know I am hitting a hot button by saying this - and everyone is entitled to their own taste and opinions - but come on! Dig through the past when jazz was king - you'll find a 100 better singers - played by a 1000 better musicians - with real soul, not this somnambulistic lazy lounge crud that has taken over the jazz world. I would rather take valium and listen to Mel Torme at half-speed than endure Diana Krall droning through 'Frim Fram Sauce', in fact I would rather be listening to the drill bit in the dentist's chair than hear any more dull, drivelling Nat King Cole covers!...man, I'm gonna go and put on some old Freddie Hubbard - I can't believe he's dead...

Who wants to join the club
cool.gif
?

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 144
I dunno...she's fairly hawt.

The only thing I don't like about Krall is a number of years ago I attended her concert. I swear the whole set was maybe about 40 minutes long. Tix were roughly $60 CDN a pop at the time. We felt extremely ripped off. But we were sixth row on the floor from the stage and she did look hawt.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 144
The wonderful thing about hating Diana Krall as much as you appear to do.....no one forces you to listen to her.
biggrin.gif

Other than too much processing of her voice on many of her recordings, I find her reasonably tolerable.

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by cAsE sEnSiTiVe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The wonderful thing about hating Diana Krall as much as you appear to do.....no one forces you to listen to her.

Other than too much processing of her voice on many of her recordings, I find her reasonably tolerable.

HEY! This is a hater's only club - welcome to Neil from the Young Ones!
"I won't say anything because no one ever listens to me anyway! I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record!"

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #9 of 144
I dont know who she is.... and I dont think I can hate her for that.

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #10 of 144
Feb 16, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and everyone is entitled to their own taste and opinions - but come on! Dig through the past when jazz was king - you'll find a 100 better singers - played by a 1000 better musicians

As you said, everyone is entitled to their own taste and opinions. Simply based on sales volume it would appear that you are probably a minority opinion. However, I'd be interested in your list of 100 better singers and 1000 better musicians. Perhaps I'll find someone to add for my listening enjoyment.

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #12 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry, but I just hate Diana Krall, Holly Cole and all of these tepid, boring, white bread 'jazz' performers...I just don't get it, I really don't. Like last night on 'Hot Air' on CBC radio (in Canada) they played a couple of Krall covers (again) then followed it up with an Ella Fitzgerald number - it was like sitting in a fetid darkened bedroom with your old dog snoring then getting up and opening the curtains to see the sun-shining beautiful world of nature outside...what were they thinking? Now I know I am hitting a hot button by saying this - and everyone is entitled to their own taste and opinions - but come on! Dig through the past when jazz was king - you'll find a 100 better singers - played by a 1000 better musicians - with real soul, not this somnambulistic lazy lounge crud that has taken over the jazz world. I would rather take valium and listen to Mel Torme at half-speed than endure Diana Krall droning through 'Frim Fram Sauce', in fact I would rather be listening to the drill bit in the dentist's chair than hear any more dull, drivelling Nat King Cole covers!...man, I'm gonna go and put on some old Freddie Hubbard - I can't believe he's dead...

Who wants to join the club
cool.gif
?

i am laughing so hard after reading this, that i can barely read the rest of the thread, lets make it a Team and register it and everything
beerchug.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #13 of 144
No hate here. Not my favorite, but I have several of her albums and quite enjoy them. Now Celine Dion, that's anther matter altogether.

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #15 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No hate here. Not my favorite, but I have several of her albums and quite enjoy them. Now Celine Dion, that's anther matter altogether.

what he said x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back