Dethonray Pegasus SG1 - BT DAC/Amp Combo
Oct 31, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #61 of 699
I've always been pursuing portability. More and more things I buy, I'm no longer portable!

1667200710848.png

Nov 1, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #64 of 699
How does Dethonray compare to Hifiman?
I think DTR-1+ and HM901s are in the same level, in fact I've heard the rumor that the founder of Dethonray is the former engineer from HM, that may be why they share similar high voltage power supply solution.

SG1 have the similar circuit structure as the DTR-1+, and maybe the 90% of DTR-1+ in term of the sound quality in my opinion, but the best in the BT players I've used.

Attachments

• 253952358bd44b400f8c442d41c442d.jpg
    253952358bd44b400f8c442d41c442d.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 0
Nov 1, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #65 of 699
I think DTR-1+ and HM901s are in the same level, in fact I've heard the rumor that the founder of Dethonray is the former engineer from HM, that may be why they share similar high voltage power supply solution.

SG1 have the similar circuit structure as the DTR-1+, and maybe the 90% of DTR-1+ in term of the sound quality in my opinion, but the best in the BT players I've used.
Do You think it is worth to buy if you already have HM901R?

Nov 2, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #66 of 699
Just got this baby a few days ago, run in for a while and gave it a good listen.

i updated the firmware to the latest version, rhapsody firmware.
Although it might seems confusing at first, with the choice of two firmware.
But it does make sense in my opinion, the serenade is for easy to drive iem and rhapsody is for high to drive iem or headphone.
Which i believe its the same for H1 Honey, just under the different name.

The serenade has a more laid back and smoother sound signature, but it lacks the power i need to drive HD650 or ER4B.
i change the rhapsody firmware, which i got from the official website.
And i followed the tutorial video, which is basically a step by step guide.
No regret changing the firmware, and i couldn't be more happy about it.
The sound signature is a lot more exciting and vivid. It's full of energy and the bass is snappy and crispy
Which is something i have never heard from my pair of ER4B, what a shocker.
The ER4B run just as well on the SG1 when compare to DA11, which is my desktop set up.

SG1 is my current portable set up, pair it with my mobile phone with spotify.
But the running hours isn't all that long, when the battery is too low, the device would turn on, connect to my phone and there would simply be no sound.
At first, i thought it is a faulty unit, but its only a false alarm. All it need is a recharge and it's good to go.
I wish it has a more clear way to indicate battery level, similar to those power bank.

And i ordered a leather case to pair with it, since the finishing on the case is far better than their previous work.
Which is a big surprise imo, since the MSRP of the SG1 is the cheapest out of their lineup.
Let's hope i don't scratch this Italian sport cars before the arrival of the leather case, LOL.

IMG_20221102_124710.jpg

IMG20221102124730.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #68 of 699

Have you ever used the ifi xdsd gryphon?

Nov 3, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #69 of 699
I'm thinking of getting one of these. Is there a case for it?

Nov 3, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #71 of 699
Welcome to the family
Unfortunately, there is no case for it.
I am currently using a lowepro Digital Video Case 20 pouch to pair with it
Perfect fit with the SG1
How would you say it compares to the honey dac/amp?

Nov 3, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #72 of 699
How would you say it compares to the honey dac/amp?
I wouldn't do a A/B comparison on SG1 and Honey.
As they are different category of product, one focus on portable and the other is only transportable.

In my opinion, the honey is not made for portable, as i failed to use it as a portable set up to replace my DTR1.
My original plan was to bundle honey with my phone and use it on the go, but it was proved hard to use.
The USB connection was the weak point, which disconnect itself while i was listening on the move constantly.
However, it works fine while it is stationary and a perfect match when i am away from home and need good music to focus, such as the library or coffee shop.

On the other hand, the SG1 has portable use in mind, which provides a stable connection with mobile phone, and its portable size/weight is a big plus for me, as it fits my cargo pants during daily commute to work without any interference.
Which is something the honey fails to deliver in my point of view, as my main objective is to find a replacement for my DTR1.
The bundle of mobile phone and Honey is too clumsy for my liking.

In terms of sound, i would prefer the honey over the SG1, the main reason is Honey (with Ultra man firmware) can drive full size headphone like no other, which reminds greatly of the Hugo 2. The Honey sound signature is very dynamic, quite warm, analog, but it sounds very natural and lively at the same time.

Whereas, the SG1 is more linear with a mid-range emphasis and slight warmth, along with a crisp bass.
But it doesn't have as much dynamic and energy as the Honey.
The most amazing thing is that how well SG1 pairs with my ER4B, previously i needed DAP and AMP to drive the ER4B, which is around double to triple the size and weight of the SG1.

At the end, the SG1 is now my go to portable audio device and successfully replaced DTR1.
Time to find a new home for the DTR1.

Nov 7, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #74 of 699
A beautiful Saturday morning, enjoying my favourite music and sharing with you my experience with the SG1.
This little thing is crazy, who would have thought that a Bluetooth device in 2022 could make such beautiful sounds?
PLUS, it has a super snazzy design too, I'm in love. 😍
Greetings.
SG1--2.jpg
SG1-.jpg

How about signature of the blue earbuds? Is it a good combo?

Nov 7, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #75 of 699
I’m using HEKse, pretty easy to drive. Doesn’t get very loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back