Dethonray Pegasus SG1 - BT DAC/Amp Combo
Aug 23, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #16 of 699
yep....dont know what to think about this....Dethonray take the wrong road it seem. DTR1 DAP was a promise of high sound value and then that.
with tremendous limitation like BT only....single ES9038q2m 5$ DAC chip, absurd 2vrms outputpower, average specs....
hum, no wonder i don't follow Dethonray anymore. they should have focus on DAP.

Aug 26, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #17 of 699
I know...Dethonray also have a solid reputation .

Maybe their reputation isn't quite as solid as you think...

Someone saw the SG1 measurement and decided to send his Prelude DTR1+ to L7 for measurement as well. Result is.. as quoting L7 Audio Lab author himself: "... just by measurement along, many RMB500 or less USB dongle in the market now will beat it on most parameters..."

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #19 of 699
My conclusion is, audio equipment is not and should not be treated like a myth or faith but rather a product of solid engineering. I also do believe that audio equipment should be allowed to be tuned in certain way by the maker (a la 'sound signature') even if that might sacrifice it's performance, as long as it is within reasonable degree. It should not, however, be an excuse for obviously poor engineering.

...and what we have here is just a pure and simple case of poor engineering - and poor engineering is a sign that either the designer doesn't know what he/she is doing or doesn't care enough to thoroughly test the product. If it only happened on one product, maybe it was just an unintended / careless mistake. But when it happened more than once, it indicates to me that there is something more systemic. You can of course draw your own conclusion.

Sep 8, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #20 of 699
Shame, beautiful design, seemingly very poor execution. Hopefully the company is able to fix the device and their reputation.

Sep 26, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #21 of 699
I got sg1 yesterday. The design and workmanship are very good. The sound is amazing, smooth and warm. It is not like a Bluetooth product at all, more like a DAP. I have BTR7. In terms of sound quality, Sg1 has better musicality. The vocal position of sg1 is accurate and instrument will not be carried too forward. The high frequency performance of BTR7 is bright, so the vocal part will be laid back.The BTR7 sound is much better than the X5 tuning I used earlier. Burning in and will try other gears this weekend.

IMG_1918166.jpg

Oct 2, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #22 of 699
As a holder of the SG1 Pegasus SG1, I would like to comment briefly on my personal experience with it for your reference.
My encounter with the Dethonray products started with the Honey H1. The performance, tuning and details were so impeccable that I went on to purchase the Dtr1+ and the latest SG1 Bluetooth DAC/AMP, I do love them all, but the SG1 is a particularly special presence due to its more affordable price and convenient features.

The design of the SG1 needs no introduction, it's simple and elegant with an exquisite finish that everyone is sure to love. When it comes to the sound, after years of trying many different portable players, even though the quality of the resolution of these products has been increasing linearly, I always felt something was missing. Having listened to a number of Dethonray products, I am personally very impressed with the tonal tuning of this brand, they bring together a good mix of resolution and musicality, and give me back a part of the sound that was missing in many players. The same high quality, interesting sound has been introduced to this Bluetooth player - Pegasus SG1. The biggest thing I like about the SG1 is the convenience. It's smaller than the Honey H1, but the sound that comes out of it is very lush and high end. The Bluetooth connection allows me to switch between my Macbook and my iphone and listen to it at will. The sound is very clean on the SG1, with a very dark background that surpasses most Bluetooth devices I've heard. The resolution, density and dynamics of the sound are as good as those of larger non-Bluetooth portable players.

I would recommend the SG1 to anyone who want to get a portable Bluetooth player, for me, Pegasus SG1 is so far the best sounding Bluetooth DAC/AMP I have ever heard. Since the day I bought it, it has become my go-to everyday combo (with my iphone) and I love the full, detailed and modern sound of it.

SG1-0906.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #24 of 699
Honestly perplexed why people care about measurements so much. I would imagine that to get a warm or lush sound you would need to somehow add some distortion to a song through the AMP or DAC maybe. I mean, from my experience with an R2R DAC like the Ares II, which doesn't measure the best as a DAC, having not the best measurements isn't the end of the world. I mean with music, you can't tell everything about an AMP or DAC with measurements alone. A piece of hardware might affect the soundstage depth or width or it might impact imaging. Just a thought I am putting out there because when I started into hifi I was just about hearing details, everything, but my focus changed because it got tiring for me.

Oct 3, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #25 of 699
The SG1 has been in my possession for two days and I'm blown away by the sound quality. Running aptx hd from my Zenfone 9. Output to Focal Radiance with stock 3.5 mm cable. The experience is immersive, holographic. Superb imaging, good stage. Swift transients, slam on low end and crisp on top. I get a definite tube feeling with the sparkle. This is a high quality audio player and no measurement can disprove this. Try it before you judge it. I see this replacing any mid tier desktop setups. Its so good it warranted my first post ever, though i am in no way new in headfi.

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #29 of 699
The SG1 has been in my possession for two days and I'm blown away by the sound quality. Running aptx hd from my Zenfone 9. Output to Focal Radiance with stock 3.5 mm cable. The experience is immersive, holographic. Superb imaging, good stage. Swift transients, slam on low end and crisp on top. I get a definite tube feeling with the sparkle. This is a high quality audio player and no measurement can disprove this. Try it before you judge it. I see this replacing any mid tier desktop setups. Its so good it warranted my first post ever, though i am in no way new in headfi.
Can you compare it to some other devices?

Oct 3, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #30 of 699

Pretty high praise from Zeos. He seems to like the Rhapsody firmware.

Still interested in trying one out even though I just got the G5 and I'm loving the G5 so far.

Would've been nice if there was an option to use USB DAC mode instead of strictly Bluetooth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back