Denver summer meet, 2016 - August 27
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #76 of 156
I will be bringing my AKG-KXX. I hope someone has a AKG K712. 

I am surprised that the KXX has satisfied me for 2 years now. There is nothing special about it but then there is nothing bad to say about it either. It is time to get serious about moving up in the world. 

Derrick

I can bring my PMx2 since you seem interested in that headphone.

Jul 30, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #77 of 156
OMG, I never knew anyone in Colorado had one of these PMx2 phones. I listened to all of the OPPO phones on the loaner program and fell in love with the PM2. I remember Tyler brought in a modified PM2 that was outstanding at one of the meets. I have been on the fence for 2 years and have not decided on one yet.

Thanks,
Derrick

Jul 30, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #78 of 156
OMG, I never knew anyone in Colorado had one of these PMx2 phones. I listened to all of the OPPO phones on the loaner program and fell in love with the PM2. I remember Tyler brought in a modified PM2 that was outstanding at one of the meets. I have been on the fence for 2 years and have not decided on one yet.

Thanks,
Derrick

Technically, I'm not in Colorado, but I will be for meet :)

Jul 31, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #80 of 156
Thinking of some other things to bring:

HE 560   (though there are a few already)
HE 400 grill mod Focus A pads
Fostex TH-X00
AKG K7XX
Oppo PM-3 with balanced cable.

Grace m9XX
Pulse Infinity
Cavalli Liquid Carbon
Franken Ember with dual 6J5G Visseaux tubes

Maybe my Gustard H10 depending on my motivation... unless someone specifically wants to hear it.

Jul 31, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #81 of 156

Do you have any good 6080 or 5998 or equivalent tubes? I need a new power tube for my crack, and would like to try some.

Yes, I can bring a 1970 Mullard 6080 and a 5998 for you to try (Mullard does better midrange/sound stage, 5998 has deeper bass).

Any chance you also have  Tung Sol (or Chatham) 6080 as well? I'm told that also supposed to be pretty good, and affordable. I have a Mullard 12AU7 (Blackburn, Great Britain, code Gf1 84DX)
 for the input tube.

Also, I've updated post 1 with what people say they are bringing. If I missed anything, please let me know.

Jul 31, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #82 of 156
Any chance you also have  Tung Sol (or Chatham) 6080 as well? I'm told that also supposed to be pretty good, and affordable. I have a Mullard 12AU7 (Blackburn, Great Britain, code Gf1 84DX)
 for the input tube.

Also, I've updated post 1 with what people say they are bringing. If I missed anything, please let me know.

I have Chatham 6AS7's and this:

http://www.parts-express.com/6as7ga-ge-jan-vacuum-tube--072-612

Jul 31, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #83 of 156

for the input tube.

I have Chatham 6AS7's and this:

http://www.parts-express.com/6as7ga-ge-jan-vacuum-tube--072-612

The GE 6080 isn't supposed to be that great, at least according to a pretty thorough review on another headphone site that cannot be named. The Chatham/Tung Sol is supposed to be pretty carded good. I'm good bid on a few on e-bay and see what happens. I'll let you know. 

Have you compared the Chatham and the GE?

Jul 31, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #84 of 156
The GE 6080 isn't supposed to be that great, at least according to a pretty thorough review on another headphone site that cannot be named. The Chatham/Tung Sol is supposed to be pretty carded good. I'm good bid on a few on e-bay and see what happens. I'll let you know. 

Have you compared the Chatham and the GE?

Yes, the Chathams I have are not 6080, they are 6AS7. And agree the GE is so so, but certainly inexpensive.
The Mullard 6080 is a heck of a nice tube. Should be able to purchase one for around $35.00...

Aug 2, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #85 of 156
Changed my mind on the Modi MultiBit and am returning it for a refund. In blind tests, I could not pick it out from my two older DAC's - so, impossible to justify the expense.

I will bring my Musical Fidelity V-DAC (first model) and the Pure I-20 (which has a built in DAC as well as optical and coaxial out for external DAC's from an iPod classic).

Plan to also have a Pimeta SS amp if - anyone wants to compare SS to Tube amplification.

Aug 3, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #87 of 156
Anyone have an HD600 to bring? I see a few HD650s, but I'm thinking the 650 is too warm for me. I'd like to audition the 600, if anyone has one.

Thanks

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #88 of 156
My friend will most likely bring his HD600

Not sure if there will more 600s

Aug 6, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #90 of 156
  Anyone have an HD600 to bring? I see a few HD650s, but I'm thinking the 650 is too warm for me. I'd like to audition the 600, if anyone has one.

Thanks

I can also bring my pair... though it is a 580 with 600 metal grills and drivers. I also replaced the spring contacts for the cables. The thing is, some would say that they are not fully broken in. I have had them for something like 15 years. About 10 years ago I replaced the grills and got matched HD 600 drivers. I don't think they have the most current version of the HD600 drivers, actually.  I got a set of Equinox cables for them in that time frame as well.  Then I changed directions and really have not used them much. I doubt that they have 100 hours on the drivers. I suppose it could be interesting for me to compare them with the current version, but for anyone considering a new pair, maybe not so much. Let me know if there is any interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back