Denon AH-D7000
Jan 8, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #2,626 of 7,464
I'm still stunned at how much bass slam these things have while still keeping it super tight. Listening to Biko by Bloc Party is a great example of this.

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #2,627 of 7,464

Quote:
I thought I would miss more boomy bass in the D2000s and D5000s....but once your ears adjust...they've adjusted.  Going back to the D2k/5k's suddenly feel bloated.  You notice the missing mids and say, "woah, wait.  lemmie put these D7000s back on..."  

After I modded mine, the highs smoothed a great deal and the midrange and upper bass really tightened up alot. Simply put some dynamat on the inside of the cups and around the outer rings of the drivers...:)

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #2,628 of 7,464

Quote:
I bought these D7000s a couple days ago but they do not have nearly as much bass as I thought they would.
I'm not a basshead so it doesn't affect me but it's still interesting why others feel more bass...

I tried the DT990s but didn't like the sibilance, yet, they had more bass than the Denons even though, people here say that they don't.

Overall great headphones though, so crisp and clear quality!!

I found the Bass a bit too much at first.  You must be a real bass head if these are too bass light.

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #2,629 of 7,464

Quote:

the HD650's...I can't tell yet.  I don't have my good amp available to me until this time next week, so it'll be hard for me to tell what I really think about them until then. I think their clarity is amazing and their highs are detailed while still being rolled off a bit, so I appreciate that.  they've never felt shrill or piercing.  Alas, I'm a week away from fairly being able to critique them.

$0.02

After having gotten my Denons, I A/B'ed D7000 and HD650 for an entire night, using different genres of music. The result was HD650 were on the Sale Forum at the end of the night and in a box ready to be shipped the next morning! I am, by no means, saying that they are bad cans. They are very good but it's just that I don't remember a time when I was as excited with them as I am with D7000 right now. Maybe Senns are not my cup of tea but I'd sure like to try a pair of HD800 since I am into Classical and Jazz 

It was an interesting and emotional night for sure :) 

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #2,630 of 7,464

Quote:
After having gotten my Denons, I A/B'ed D7000 and HD650 for an entire night, using different genres of music. The result was HD650 were on the Sale Forum at the end of the night and in a box ready to be shipped the next morning! I am, by no means, saying that they are bad cans. They are very good but it's just that I don't remember a time when I was as excited with them as I am with D7000 right now. Maybe Senns are not my cup of tea but I'd sure like to try a pair of HD800 since I am into Classical and Jazz 

It was an interesting and emotional night for sure :) 

Yes, yes... indeed.
I hope to hear the HD800 (and LCD-2) soon, but they'd have to be outrageously better than the D7k for me to even consider them.
I listen to more classical than jazz, but also some bluegrass and other acoustic (celtic, world, etc.). For me and my tastes, the D7k replicate acoustic music with stunning clarity and 'reality'. Instruments just sound real and are rendered naturally in space.

Serious fanboy in the making...

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #2,631 of 7,464

Quote:
These cans are very interesting indeed.

If I were to compare them directly to the D2000s and 5000s and keep the summary under 100 words, I'd say that they are as clear and detailed as the D2000s highs, cool like the D2000s, with tighter bass than the D5000s (which were tighter than the D2000s).  With much better mids than either.  In fact, I didn't realize how recessed the D2000s mids were until I listened to the D7000s for a couple of hours, then switched to the D2000s.  It's like the singers/rappers took a solid 5 paces back, away from the microphone.  They are not as warm as the D5000s in any way...but I kinda like the D5000s warmth, to be perfectly honest.  Yes, I can hear the difference between all 3 and their differences are clear.  I can see why the D7000s are so popular: they do everything people want them to do.

I thought I would miss more boomy bass in the D2000s and D5000s....but once your ears adjust...they've adjusted.  Going back to the D2k/5k's suddenly feel bloated.  You notice the missing mids and say, "woah, wait.  lemmie put these D7000s back on..."  

If I have a complaint at this point, it's that because their highs and detailed nature is the same as the D2000, the highs can sometimes get too sharp for my ears.  The rolled off highs were one reason I appreciated the D5000s so much, through the loss of detail was noticeable.  So...here's hoping the highs will calm the hell down over time.  

Needless to say, they've been in my possession less than 48 hours, so I look forward to seeing how the next month or so goes.  

the HD650's...I can't tell yet.  I don't have my good amp available to me until this time next week, so it'll be hard for me to tell what I really think about them until then. I think their clarity is amazing and their highs are detailed while still being rolled off a bit, so I appreciate that.  they've never felt shrill or piercing.  Alas, I'm a week away from fairly being able to critique them.

$0.02

Great impressions.

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #2,632 of 7,464
Nice to see some life back in this thread... it was dead for a good while and a shame for such a great headphone.

Seems many people have opted to get the D7000 despite the hype for the other flagships, and virtually no hype for the Denons anymore which is refreshing to me.

I am worried about performing these mods on my D7000... if I had the cash I would much prefer getting a D2000 to use as a guinae pig because I would hate to F up my D7000 by accident.

Balancing was not so bad for me... simple cut and solder... and I guess technically the dynamat is a less intrusive mod... will have to see. Killing a tiny bit of the bloat and taming the highs sounds like it improves the only areas I feel the D7000 could really "improve". The D7000 has a boost in the subbass vs the midbass IIRC and the highs are a bit hot... so fixing this might make them even more sublime... or it might kill "the magic"... hrm.

FWIW I think the D7000 are second to none for classic... so much energy in them... and the drum rolls are thunderous and powerful like they are in real life... real great stuff.

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #2,633 of 7,464
My only challenge is listening to anything else I own. I have a couple IEM's and have tried several portable headphones but haven't been able to find anything that comes close to the D7000. My SM3 have nice mids but not the bass or the treble, my Radius DDM has almost as nice a bass but not quite as it's a bit to boomy, nice mids, and just not as good a treble. I may opt for a 1964 quad custom IEM later in the year but will see. I know it will be unlikely I will get an IEM that is as nice as these but close would be good. I may try a pair of Denon IEM's just in case they manage to get similar magic in their IEM's, I'm tempted by their AHC560R which would give me a mic for use with my iPhone.

I certainly think that these deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as HD800, LCD-2, T1, HE6 etc. At their current price combined with the fact they don't need an amp and source that's through the roof price wise, I think they also offer the best value for anyone looking to enter that next level in sound in full-size headphones. With my $200 amp and Auzentech Forte 7.1 sound card these stand head and shoulder above any other headphone I have owned and I can afford to upgrade other parts of my chain such as the balanced DAC I am getting next month and a future balanced amp.

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #2,634 of 7,464

Quote:
My only challenge is listening to anything else I own. I have a couple IEM's and have tried several portable headphones but haven't been able to find anything that comes close to the D7000. My SM3 have nice mids but not the bass or the treble, my Radius DDM has almost as nice a bass but not quite as it's a bit to boomy, nice mids, and just not as good a treble. I may opt for a 1964 quad custom IEM later in the year but will see. I know it will be unlikely I will get an IEM that is as nice as these but close would be good. I may try a pair of Denon IEM's just in case they manage to get similar magic in their IEM's, I'm tempted by their AHC560R which would give me a mic for use with my iPhone.

I certainly think that these deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as HD800, LCD-2, T1, HE6 etc. At their current price combined with the fact they don't need an amp and source that's through the roof price wise, I think they also offer the best value for anyone looking to enter that next level in sound in full-size headphones. With my $200 amp and Auzentech Forte 7.1 sound card these stand head and shoulder above any other headphone I have owned and I can afford to upgrade other parts of my chain such as the balanced DAC I am getting next month and a future balanced amp.

Same here, but I disagree they don't need a good amp/source any less than any headphone does really.

When I first got my relatively new system Ref - 7 + Phoenix I was floored with how much better they sounded VS what I had been used to. Didn't think the D7000 could scale this much, but they certainly seem to have. They seem to scale just as much as the LCD-2 did, although they reach as high a bar, they certainly improved. Not going to tell you any of this is "necessary" though, because in a pinch I am happy to listen to them out of my iPod studying in the basement.

Also, I don't want to sound like a broken record, but just because they are 25 ohms does not mean they do not "need an amp" I doesn't mean anything other than wanting current over voltage, but yes they are quite sensitive. I think they benefit from a good amp as they seem "thirsty" when underpowered but like any headphone... if you like it... you will like it no matter what it is paired with... unless you are a drama queen of course (not saying you personally are!). At 25 ohms they are actually more difficult to amp technically than you might think... especially since most amps say 30-600 ohms. :wink:

Glad you are continuing to enjoy them. Definitely the underdog around here... but that is the loss of others.

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #2,635 of 7,464
Having heard these with better amps like the Concerto and also hearing them balanced I agree with you 100% sokolov91, they scale exceptionally well and just get better sounding. I guess my point is some of the high end stuff simply won't sound even as good as lower end headphones without the expensive amp and source etc., whereas the D7000 sounds head and shoulders above everything I have owned with a $200 amp and they can only get better as I improve my chain.

BTW my impatience got the best of me so I ordered a pair of the Denon AH-C560R so anyone interested in IEM's but wanting a sound signature similar to their D7000 look in the portables thread as I will be posting a full review after I get them. I will post a link to the review here as well to make it easier for anyone interested to find. I hope they have a similar sound but don't expect miracles from a $100 IEM. It will be interesting to see how they compare to my SM3 and the Radius DDM as well though.

Jan 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #2,636 of 7,464

Having heard these with better amps like the Concerto and also hearing them balanced I agree with you 100% sokolov91, they scale exceptionally well and just get better sounding. I guess my point is some of the high end stuff simply won't sound even as good as lower end headphones without the expensive amp and source etc., whereas the D7000 sounds head and shoulders above everything I have owned with a $200 amp and they can only get better as I improve my chain.

BTW my impatience got the best of me so I ordered a pair of the Denon AH-C560R so anyone interested in IEM's but wanting a sound signature similar to their D7000 look in the portables thread as I will be posting a full review after I get them. I will post a link to the review here as well to make it easier for anyone interested to find. I hope they have a similar sound but don't expect miracles from a $100 IEM. It will be interesting to see how they compare to my SM3 and the Radius DDM as well though.

That's a post I'll watch for. The shure 530's still are my portable option, but the 7000's have me considering what I use on the move. I also thought when I purchased the Denon's that I'd consider bringing them along for a desk top set up on extended trips, but honestly they are so beautiful I don't see taking them from home very much and risking getting them banged up. I'm surprised to say that, I purchased them to listen!

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #2,637 of 7,464

Quote:

Please do keep us posted about your impressions on those iems. I am looking for something to buy for my girlfriend and she was the one who opened the box of D7000 and she loved their sound. So if those iems are anywhere near D7000, then heck I'll get a pair for myself too. I am now using Westone UM3X and though I doubt that those Denons can beat them, I'm still wondering if I should be carrying around a pair of iem that cost $370. 
Thanks in advance... 

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #2,638 of 7,464

Quote:
Please do keep us posted about your impressions on those iems. I am looking for something to buy for my girlfriend and she was the one who opened the box of D7000 and she loved their sound. So if those iems are anywhere near D7000, then heck I'll get a pair for myself too. I am now using Westone UM3X and though I doubt that those Denons can beat them, I'm still wondering if I should be carrying around a pair of iem that cost $370. 
Thanks in advance... 

How do the UM3x compare to the D7000?

I find that my UM2's compare very favorably to the D7k, but without the sparkle in the highs. My DBA-02's also have a similar mid and upper end as the D7k, but without the warmth and solid body. So, which one I pick depends on my mood.
I'd also love to find an IEM that really replicates the entire spectrum as well as the D7k.

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #2,639 of 7,464
Sweet 

I just wrote a 4 paragraph comparison of UM3X and D7000 and after hitting the submit button, my browser froze! Maybe the comparison was something that ought not to be done :) 

Well, to give you a short version of it. It's almost the same as your assessment with your UM2s. One thing about UM3X is that they are recording picky. What I mean by that is if there is that sparkly factor in the music and the quality of the recording, they definitely make you enjoy it. I quite like their mids and I think their mids are a tad better than D7000's. In terms of bass, I honestly wouldn't even dare comparing the two :) 

I usually prefer overhead phones over iems but since I have to be at libraries all the time, I just couldn't find a good closed headphone that would seal perfectly for the other people around me. Unfortunately, Denons leak a lot, so even if I can't find an iem like D7000, I'll be quite happy with my UM3X. They do so many things right and what I like about them the most is that their non-fatigue nature. But I'd definitely like to try Westone 4 when they come out. 
Again, comparing D7000 with UM3X is like comparing apples to oranges but all that to say is that someone who likes D7000 wouldn't be disappointed with Westones I think. Maybe Westone 3 instead of UM3X? 

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #2,640 of 7,464
Oh I left out the most important difference between the two. Soundstage. UM3X's soundstage is very limited, they are very forward and have an on-stage feeling when you listen to them. D7000 on the other hand ... a.w.e.s.o.m.e 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back