Denon AH-D7000
Jan 9, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #2,642 of 7,464

Quote:
Nice to see some life back in this thread... it was dead for a good while and a shame for such a great headphone.

Seems many people have opted to get the D7000 despite the hype for the other flagships, and virtually no hype for the Denons anymore which is refreshing to me.

I am worried about performing these mods on my D7000... if I had the cash I would much prefer getting a D2000 to use as a guinae pig because I would hate to F up my D7000 by accident.

Balancing was not so bad for me... simple cut and solder... and I guess technically the dynamat is a less intrusive mod... will have to see. Killing a tiny bit of the bloat and taming the highs sounds like it improves the only areas I feel the D7000 could really "improve". The D7000 has a boost in the subbass vs the midbass IIRC and the highs are a bit hot... so fixing this might make them even more sublime... or it might kill "the magic"... hrm.

FWIW I think the D7000 are second to none for classic... so much energy in them... and the drum rolls are thunderous and powerful like they are in real life... real great stuff.

I remember having the stock mohagany and the LA african mohagany cups and I couldn't really listen to my D7000's for a long period of time because the highs were so piercing.  I opted to get a softer wood and all has been great since then. 

Jan 9, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #2,643 of 7,464
After almost a week now with these...
I just gave these cans a test run on some movie tracks....simply wow they really can portray the LFE track pretty well I'm very impressed.  Minus "feeling" the rumble of a subwoofer through your body the rest of the low frequency is reproduced rather well. 

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #2,644 of 7,464

Quote:
Sweet 

I just wrote a 4 paragraph comparison of UM3X and D7000 and after hitting the submit button, my browser froze! Maybe the comparison was something that ought not to be done :) 

Well, to give you a short version of it. It's almost the same as your assessment with your UM2s. One thing about UM3X is that they are recording picky. What I mean by that is if there is that sparkly factor in the music and the quality of the recording, they definitely make you enjoy it. I quite like their mids and I think their mids are a tad better than D7000's. In terms of bass, I honestly wouldn't even dare comparing the two :) 

I usually prefer overhead phones over iems but since I have to be at libraries all the time, I just couldn't find a good closed headphone that would seal perfectly for the other people around me. Unfortunately, Denons leak a lot, so even if I can't find an iem like D7000, I'll be quite happy with my UM3X. They do so many things right and what I like about them the most is that their non-fatigue nature. But I'd definitely like to try Westone 4 when they come out. 
Again, comparing D7000 with UM3X is like comparing apples to oranges but all that to say is that someone who likes D7000 wouldn't be disappointed with Westones I think. Maybe Westone 3 instead of UM3X? 

Well... have you considered the ATH-M50?
They have a lot of characteristics in common with the D7k... but of course not as refined, expansive, rich, clean, clear, etc. But for $100, the enjoyment factor is outrageous!
Also the M50 isolate very well. You really have to be listening very loudly to have sound escape these puppies... Obviously, nothing seals like a good IEM, but for full-size (moderately portable) they do a great job.

Jan 10, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #2,645 of 7,464

Quote:
My only challenge is listening to anything else I own. I have a couple IEM's and have tried several portable headphones but haven't been able to find anything that comes close to the D7000. My SM3 have nice mids but not the bass or the treble, my Radius DDM has almost as nice a bass but not quite as it's a bit to boomy, nice mids, and just not as good a treble. I may opt for a 1964 quad custom IEM later in the year but will see. I know it will be unlikely I will get an IEM that is as nice as these but close would be good. I may try a pair of Denon IEM's just in case they manage to get similar magic in their IEM's, I'm tempted by their AHC560R which would give me a mic for use with my iPhone.

Quote:
Quote:
Please do keep us posted about your impressions on those iems. I am looking for something to buy for my girlfriend and she was the one who opened the box of D7000 and she loved their sound. So if those iems are anywhere near D7000, then heck I'll get a pair for myself too. I am now using Westone UM3X and though I doubt that those Denons can beat them, I'm still wondering if I should be carrying around a pair of iem that cost $370. 
Thanks in advance... 

How do the UM3x compare to the D7000?

I find that my UM2's compare very favorably to the D7k, but without the sparkle in the highs. My DBA-02's also have a similar mid and upper end as the D7k, but without the warmth and solid body. So, which one I pick depends on my mood.
I'd also love to find an IEM that really replicates the entire spectrum as well as the D7k.

ES5.  Not a D7000 clone signature wise but they can meet and exceed the D7000 in many areas.  After CES I have no trouble saying the best IEMs out there can compete if not even surpass some of the top headphones in specific areas.  I think its just easier for a larger heapdhone driver to accomplish more whilst IEMs can bring their own advantages as well.  I went through my back and forth of IEMs, Cans, IEMs, Cans only to realise there is no absolute.  At the highest level w/ any particular sets of gear and sets of ears it is a very personal decision in the end.

Jan 10, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #2,646 of 7,464

Quote:

Again, comparing D7000 with UM3X is like comparing apples to oranges but all that to say is that someone who likes D7000 wouldn't be disappointed with Westones I think. Maybe Westone 3 instead of UM3X? 

Not IMO, the D7000 is superior to the W4 IMO w/ the exception of mid presentation.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #2,647 of 7,464

Quote:
These cans are very interesting indeed.

If I were to compare them directly to the D2000s and 5000s and keep the summary under 100 words, I'd say that they are as clear and detailed as the D2000s highs, cool like the D2000s, with tighter bass than the D5000s (which were tighter than the D2000s).  With much better mids than either.  In fact, I didn't realize how recessed the D2000s mids were until I listened to the D7000s for a couple of hours, then switched to the D2000s.  It's like the singers/rappers took a solid 5 paces back, away from the microphone.  They are not as warm as the D5000s in any way...but I kinda like the D5000s warmth, to be perfectly honest.  Yes, I can hear the difference between all 3 and their differences are clear.  I can see why the D7000s are so popular: they do everything people want them to do.

I thought I would miss more boomy bass in the D2000s and D5000s....but once your ears adjust...they've adjusted.  Going back to the D2k/5k's suddenly feel bloated.  You notice the missing mids and say, "woah, wait.  lemmie put these D7000s back on..."  

If I have a complaint at this point, it's that because their highs and detailed nature is the same as the D2000, the highs can sometimes get too sharp for my ears.  The rolled off highs were one reason I appreciated the D5000s so much, through the loss of detail was noticeable.  So...here's hoping the highs will calm the hell down over time.  

Needless to say, they've been in my possession less than 48 hours, so I look forward to seeing how the next month or so goes.  

the HD650's...I can't tell yet.  I don't have my good amp available to me until this time next week, so it'll be hard for me to tell what I really think about them until then. I think their clarity is amazing and their highs are detailed while still being rolled off a bit, so I appreciate that.  they've never felt shrill or piercing.  Alas, I'm a week away from fairly being able to critique them.

$0.02

This is my two cents. I had a chance to listen to all of the above mentioned headphones (650's too) at local audio store all coming from the same SS sound source and all playing the same song at the same time. I have very little listening experience. I own the DT990's and like them. So take this as one view. I listened back and forth for about an hour and if money were no conern (ha!) the D5000s sounded the best to me. It was a run-away race imo.

I would say this is in some agreement with your comments and supports that the D7000s is more refined (sounded like the D2000s to me). The amp may not of had the power for the 650s, not sure. I also liked the Grado 125is in 2nd place in full disclosure.

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #2,648 of 7,464

Quote:
Quote:

If I were to compare them directly to the D2000s and 5000s and keep the summary under 100 words, I'd say that they are as clear and detailed as the D2000s highs, cool like the D2000s, with tighter bass than the D5000s (which were tighter than the D2000s).  With much better mids than either.  In fact, I didn't realize how recessed the D2000s mids were until I listened to the D7000s for a couple of hours, then switched to the D2000s.  It's like the singers/rappers took a solid 5 paces back, away from the microphone.  They are not as warm as the D5000s in any way...but I kinda like the D5000s warmth, to be perfectly honest.  Yes, I can hear the difference between all 3 and their differences are clear.  I can see why the D7000s are so popular: they do everything people want them to do.

I thought I would miss more boomy bass in the D2000s and D5000s....but once your ears adjust...they've adjusted.  Going back to the D2k/5k's suddenly feel bloated.  You notice the missing mids and say, "woah, wait.  lemmie put these D7000s back on..."  

If I have a complaint at this point, it's that because their highs and detailed nature is the same as the D2000, the highs can sometimes get too sharp for my ears.  The rolled off highs were one reason I appreciated the D5000s so much, through the loss of detail was noticeable.  So...here's hoping the highs will calm the hell down over time.  

Needless to say, they've been in my possession less than 48 hours, so I look forward to seeing how the next month or so goes.  

the HD650's...I can't tell yet.  I don't have my good amp available to me until this time next week, so it'll be hard for me to tell what I really think about them until then. I think their clarity is amazing and their highs are detailed while still being rolled off a bit, so I appreciate that.  they've never felt shrill or piercing.  Alas, I'm a week away from fairly being able to critique them.

$0.02

This is my two cents. I had a chance to listen to all of the above mentioned headphones (650's too) at local audio store all coming from the same SS sound source and all playing the same song at the same time. I have very little listening experience. I own the DT990's and like them. So take this as one view. I listened back and forth for about an hour and if money were no conern (ha!) the D5000s sounded the best to me. It was a run-away race imo.

I would say this is in some agreement with your comments and supports that the D7000s is more refined (sounded like the D2000s to me). The amp may not of had the power for the 650s, not sure. I also liked the Grado 125is in 2nd place in full disclosure.

That's nice because i just plan to get the D5k since i find the D7k a bit too expensive and don't like the cheap look of D2k , and that would certainly be my last pair of cans don't wanna kill my wallet  
dt880smile.png

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #2,649 of 7,464
Are W4s out yet? 

Quote:
Quote:

Not IMO, the D7000 is superior to the W4 IMO w/ the exception of mid presentation.

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #2,650 of 7,464
what's your budget?  You get can the D7000 for $550-650 brand new with warranty and not at that $999 asking price at some places.  PM for details (or search the forum). 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

$0.02

That's nice because i just plan to get the D5k since i find the D7k a bit too expensive and don't like the cheap look of D2k , and that would certainly be my last pair of cans don't wanna kill my wallet  
dt880smile.png

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #2,651 of 7,464
Just received my Denon D7000's after researching headphones on Head-Fi for about a month.  They'll be burning in for awhile, but so far they awesome!  I'll post my thoughts after I've put them through their paces.

Thanks for all of your help Head-Fi!  :)

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #2,652 of 7,464

Quote:
Quote:
My only challenge is listening to anything else I own. I have a couple IEM's and have tried several portable headphones but haven't been able to find anything that comes close to the D7000. My SM3 have nice mids but not the bass or the treble, my Radius DDM has almost as nice a bass but not quite as it's a bit to boomy, nice mids, and just not as good a treble. I may opt for a 1964 quad custom IEM later in the year but will see. I know it will be unlikely I will get an IEM that is as nice as these but close would be good. I may try a pair of Denon IEM's just in case they manage to get similar magic in their IEM's, I'm tempted by their AHC560R which would give me a mic for use with my iPhone.

Quote:
Quote:
Please do keep us posted about your impressions on those iems. I am looking for something to buy for my girlfriend and she was the one who opened the box of D7000 and she loved their sound. So if those iems are anywhere near D7000, then heck I'll get a pair for myself too. I am now using Westone UM3X and though I doubt that those Denons can beat them, I'm still wondering if I should be carrying around a pair of iem that cost $370. 
Thanks in advance... 

How do the UM3x compare to the D7000?

I find that my UM2's compare very favorably to the D7k, but without the sparkle in the highs. My DBA-02's also have a similar mid and upper end as the D7k, but without the warmth and solid body. So, which one I pick depends on my mood.
I'd also love to find an IEM that really replicates the entire spectrum as well as the D7k.

ES5.  Not a D7000 clone signature wise but they can meet and exceed the D7000 in many areas.  After CES I have no trouble saying the best IEMs out there can compete if not even surpass some of the top headphones in specific areas.  I think its just easier for a larger heapdhone driver to accomplish more whilst IEMs can bring their own advantages as well.  I went through my back and forth of IEMs, Cans, IEMs, Cans only to realise there is no absolute.  At the highest level w/ any particular sets of gear and sets of ears it is a very personal decision in the end.

I was afraid you were going to say that...
rolleyes.gif

And @ dave3533... congrats and welcome. Looking forward to your 'appreciations'.
wink_face.gif

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #2,653 of 7,464

Quote:
Are W4s out yet? 

Quote:
Quote:

Don't think so.  Pre-order till February release I believe.

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #2,654 of 7,464
Then how come D7000 are superior to W4? Did you get a chance to audition them somehow? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back