Denon AH-D7000
Jan 5, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #2,551 of 7,457
Unfortunately they're currently just plugged into the headphone jack on my speakers.  HOWEVER, by the beginning of February I will have an Audio GD NFB-11 to give them an extra oomph.
The postage on the Denons was ridiculously expensive, but the delivery guy was good enough to deliver them in thermal packaging so they were of reasonable temperature when they got to the outpost.

Quote:
Quote:
I got my D7000s yesterday.  They are an enormous improvement over my M50s and Grado SR80is, and as far as I recall a huge improvement over my friend's HD600/HD650s and Denon D2000.  Everything sounds absolutely amazing through these cans.

Congrats !
What's your rig?

Oh... and do the frigid temps effect the sound? 
rolleyes.gif

wink_face.gif

Jan 5, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #2,552 of 7,457

Quote:
is it worth getting the damping mod from part of the markl upgrade??

If you're talking about the partial dampening of just the cups then I would (you can always take the sound deadening off the cups if you don't like it).  MarkL does not recommend doing the "full" MarkL dampening mod for the D7000 as he says it doesn't need it.  I believe him because I did the "full" MarkL dampening mod on the D2000 and it took out the vast majority of the bass and I didn't like that at all. Also on the 2 pairs of full LA7000's I've owned never came with anything else dampened besides the cups. 

Don't be afraid to experiment on your headphones man, especially on a mod that's reversable. 

Jan 5, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #2,553 of 7,457
i see, thx for the advice

i think i might use the budget on recabling the D7K later on with Jena ultra wire, if neccessary

Quote:
Quote:

If you're talking about the partial dampening of just the cups then I would (you can always take the sound deadening off the cups if you don't like it).  MarkL does not recommend doing the "full" MarkL mod for the D7000 as he says it doesn't need it.  I believe him because I did the "full" MarkL mod on the D2000 and it took out the vast majority of the bass and I didn't like that at all.

Don't be afraid to experiment on your headphones man, especially on a mod that's reversable. 

Jan 5, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #2,554 of 7,457

Quote:

i think i might use the budget on recabling the D7K later on with Jena ultra wire, if neccessary

Quote:
Quote:

If you're talking about the partial dampening of just the cups then I would (you can always take the sound deadening off the cups if you don't like it).  MarkL does not recommend doing the "full" MarkL mod for the D7000 as he says it doesn't need it.  I believe him because I did the "full" MarkL mod on the D2000 and it took out the vast majority of the bass and I didn't like that at all.

I am sure you could find something much more worthwhile to spend your money on then the Jena wire... although the bare Jena wire does indeed look incredibly sexy.

Jan 5, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #2,555 of 7,457
The full Markl mod is ridiculously overpriced.  It's about $900 for a reasonably lengthy cable, a new pair of cups (the D7000's mahogany is already beautiful, no?) and some extra dampening on the driver.  It would be more worthwhile to buy an LA5000, as the combined cost of modding and the D7000 itself would be the same as getting a pair of D7000s and a worthwhile amp.

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #2,556 of 7,457
Well I have not heard the LA models... but I find no need to mod my D7000 whatsoever... adding different cups might make a change for better or for worse, same with the dampening.. but the D7000 sound great and I wouldn't mod them. The last thing I would want from the D 7000 is less bass and more highs. IF anything I would like slightly less bass, and less highs... but then it would be an LCD-2 and lack that "live" sound sig.

As for the Jena wire it is gorgeous but most likely will do nothing other than an extremely expensive aesthetic change.

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #2,557 of 7,457

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

As for the MarkL mods I was just talking about the dampening as in the sound deadening.  The LA7000's only have dampening on the cups and that's what I was referring to.  I'll re-edit my post to clarify that I was only talking about the dampening when I was describing the mods.

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #2,558 of 7,457

Quote:
The full Markl mod is ridiculously overpriced.  It's about $900 for a reasonably lengthy cable, a new pair of cups (the D7000's mahogany is already beautiful, no?) and some extra dampening on the driver.  It would be more worthwhile to buy an LA5000, as the combined cost of modding and the D7000 itself would be the same as getting a pair of D7000s and a worthwhile amp.

Sure it's expensive but so are a lot of things with dealing in high end audio.  I've owned both the D7000 and LA7000 so I could tell the difference in performance.  Are all the mods worth it to me? In my opinion yes because I have an insatiable appetite to upgrade and I wouldn't stop thinking about what it would sound like if I didn't.  For more budget conscious people? Obviously not because the cable upgrade alone costs almost as much as the headphones. 

We can speculate on if it's worth it or even if it's actually an upgrade but you wouldn't know until you actually tried it.  If your happy with your current headphones then good, you don't have to spend needless money upgrading.  I wish I were like that as it would save me a ton of money in the long run. 

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #2,559 of 7,457

Quote:
Well I have not heard the LA models... but I find no need to mod my D7000 whatsoever... adding different cups might make a change for better or for worse, same with the dampening.. but the D7000 sound great and I wouldn't mod them. The last thing I would want from the D 7000 is less bass and more highs. IF anything I would like slightly less bass, and less highs... but then it would be an LCD-2 and lack that "live" sound sig.

As for the Jena wire it is gorgeous but most likely will do nothing other than an extremely expensive aesthetic change.

When I was speaking about full MarkL mods I was referring only to the dampening.  I'll change my post to reflect that so no one gets confused.  Also dampening the cups never results in less bass haha. 

Cables are always debated so I wont say too much about that one.  However I would be very surprised if someone tried a silver cable then a copper cable and told me it sounds the same.  Maybe some listen better than others or perhaps some people think so much they believe they hear something.  In the end it's all the ears of the beholder. 

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #2,561 of 7,457

Quote:
Quote:

When I was speaking about full MarkL mods I was referring only to the dampening.  I'll change my post to reflect that so no one gets confused.  Also dampening the cups never results in less bass haha. 

Cables are always debated so I wont say too much about that one.  However I would be very surprised if someone tried a silver cable then a copper cable and told me it sounds the same.  Maybe some listen better than others or perhaps some people think so much they believe they hear something.  In the end it's all the ears of the beholder

How poetik :wink:

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #2,563 of 7,457

Quote:

Anyways say i only wanted to tighten the bass, not reduce the impact for my D5Ks. What parts of the markl mod should I look at?

I wouldn't do any more than get J$ pads. I found the MarkL mods changed the D5k's overall tonality... which did not suite my tastes.
The same thought would apply to ghe D7k. No mods or only the J$. But I have absolutely no reason to change any aspect of the sound of the D7k.

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #2,564 of 7,457

Quote:
Quote:

Anyways say i only wanted to tighten the bass, not reduce the impact for my D5Ks. What parts of the markl mod should I look at?

I wouldn't do any more than get J$ pads. I found the MarkL mods changed the D5k's overall tonality... which did not suite my tastes.
The same thought would apply to ghe D7k. No mods or only the J$. But I have absolutely no reason to change any aspect of the sound of the D7k.

I have the newest Jmoney pads but not the D7000 to try them on just yet.

Do the pads really make a difference and which version do you have?

Thanks

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #2,565 of 7,457

Users who are viewing this thread

Back