Denon AH-D7000
Jan 3, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #2,536 of 7,457
Been contemplating getting a solid state amp for the D7000s for a few weeks now. My standard setup is with the Darkvoice 332 and to be honest, it sounds very good. Bass is extremely tight and highs aren't too harsh. However I am intrigued about the prospect of a higher end solid state amp mainly for the bass potential. Now I've tried it with my Cambridge integrated amp and I wasn't impressed. To be frank, the sound was far too warm and the bass sounded like ass. The bass bloat was too prominent, destroying the overall clarity.

Now I've narrowed it down to two options - the Meier Concerto or the Burson 160A. Priced are pretty similar, $710USD for the Meier and the $625AUD for the Burson. The Burson is made in Melbourne which creates a rare occasion for me where buying locally is cheaper and more convenient. Is anyone using either of those amps, or can suggest a nice SS option for under $700USD?

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #2,537 of 7,457
I listened to my d7000 off a Concerto at the last head-fi meet I was at and quite enjoyed it. It seemed like a neutral amp that was very capable of driving the D7000. I still like my little SS desktop amp I am using but that is because it's a bit brighter sounding which I like with the D7000. I suspect you would prefer a more neutral sound though.

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #2,538 of 7,457

well I stupidly ordered Denon V3 pads from Jeremy... hopefully they get here soon... they better be worth it because they cost an arm and a leg and I already find the stock pads comfortable, if a bit hot.

I wonder if the soundstage and bass really will improve as people say.

I will be interested in your impressions.

Jan 3, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #2,539 of 7,457

Quote:
I listened to my d7000 off a Concerto at the last head-fi meet I was at and quite enjoyed it. It seemed like a neutral amp that was very capable of driving the D7000. I still like my little SS desktop amp I am using but that is because it's a bit brighter sounding which I like with the D7000. I suspect you would prefer a more neutral sound though.

I agree with your assessment 100%. I really liked this combination when I owned my D7000s. After hearing it, no tube amp could keep up with these cans.

Now back to the game...going into the 3rd period.

UPDATE: Canada wins! 4-1!!! (World Junior Hockey Tournament in Buffalo, NY...in case you're interested, now bring on the Russians!)
beerchug.gif

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #2,540 of 7,457
So I got my D7000s last week, though I haven't had enough time to spend with them, I quite like how they sound right out of the box. When I had Audio Technicas and DT770s, they truly sounded like closed cans but somehow D7000 give me a bit different experience than those two. In terms of soundstage, bass and midrange quality, I think D7000 is way better. 

I know most people like them with SS amps but when I was experimenting, I realized that my Little Dot tube amp had a more appealing synergy with them than my Matrix M-Stage. But I'll keep experimenting more. Concerto or Symphony 2 are the next things on the list to purchase 

One question though... What is the burn-in time for these cans? 

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #2,541 of 7,457
It seemed to me that the D7000 required very little break-in time.
The only change I noticed (let's not get into a psychoacoustic discussion, please) was that the bass seemed to tighten up a bit.
And that was probably within the first 10 hours.

Jan 4, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #2,542 of 7,457
I just burned them in for about 10 days straight (20+ hours a day). They sound just as great as when I first used them. Not gonna say anything truly changed, though the bass did definitely tighten within that first day of burn in. I thought it was a bit on the boomy side during first day of use. Since then, it's been pretty much perfect. I honestly don't see why ANYONE would wanna change the pads for something that lessens the bass. It's the perfect balance of pure musicality, IMHO. I could see maybe tightening the bass if the D7000 sounded as boomy as that first day of use (not that it was sloppy, just wanted it tighter). However, if it ain't broke, I ain't fixing it.

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #2,543 of 7,457

Quote:
Been contemplating getting a solid state amp for the D7000s for a few weeks now. My standard setup is with the Darkvoice 332 and to be honest, it sounds very good. Bass is extremely tight and highs aren't too harsh. However I am intrigued about the prospect of a higher end solid state amp mainly for the bass potential. Now I've tried it with my Cambridge integrated amp and I wasn't impressed. To be frank, the sound was far too warm and the bass sounded like ass. The bass bloat was too prominent, destroying the overall clarity.

Now I've narrowed it down to two options - the Meier Concerto or the Burson 160A. Priced are pretty similar, $710USD for the Meier and the $625AUD for the Burson. The Burson is made in Melbourne which creates a rare occasion for me where buying locally is cheaper and more convenient. Is anyone using either of those amps, or can suggest a nice SS option for under $700USD?

6 months ago, I was in your situation, choosing a head amp from 3 brands, (Concerto, HA160 and Auditor of SPL). I put down my headphone after listening to Concerto for 5 seconds. I listened to the HA160 and SPL Auditor for half an hour and decided to buy HA160. To me, their sound is similar but the price difference is quite big. I am a happy HA160 user ever since.

Jan 5, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #2,544 of 7,457
Got the Jmoney pads for the D7000 today and they look pretty damned great and as symmetrical as I could ask for hand made stuff. Too bad I lent my D7000 to another head-fier!

Will have to wait to report if the sound changes any to my ears.

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #2,545 of 7,457
I've recently sold off my RS-1s for a D7000 and while I wasn't able to A/B them, I had the RS-1s for over 2.5 years so I can quite safely remember how they sound and the long story short is that I'm enjoying my D7000 so much better.

On the plus side, the D7000 has a much bigger soundstage, a more focused and tighter bass response, and are MUCH much much more comfortable. I cannot even stress the last point enough. I know it's very tempting to think of the sound being the be all and end all in this hobby but the experience affects how you hear greatly.

That said, on the minus side, the D7000 has a more recessed midrange and is not as in-you-face as the Grados were. I actually prefer this for classical music and big stage performances, although for some acoustic rock performances I miss the intimacy of the Grados.

Jan 5, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #2,546 of 7,457
I have had my D7000 for about 8 months now. My setup is HT Omega Calro -> Audio-GD NFB-2 -> WA6SE now and I find myself wanting to "cure" the issue with bass bump. So I asked my buddy at work (fellow head-fier) to bring in his AKG 702 and Grado HF2 and I have been listening to all three since Christmas and I am conveinced I like the open sound of the 702 and HF2 over the D7000. I had done the A-B-C comparison last year when I had the D5000 (with Twisted Cables; Vortex) but at that time I had an EF2 and Maverick D1 amp and I do not think either of them make the 702 or HF2 sound that nice. So the D5000 sounded more to my liking.
Now with the WA6SE (Sophia Princess) I can really drive the 702 and HF2 correctly (or sufficinetly I guess) and I like that sound flavoring more.

So on Monday night I went to Audeze.com and pre-ordered a set of LCD2. I figure, if I like the openess of the 702, and I want more controlled bass, I should probably  move to the LCD2. Big step in price, but I am willing to risk it. I will let you know how the LCD2 work with the WA6SE (I guess I can try with my portable also, Zune HD with iBasso Toucan).

As soon as I get the LCD2 I will have to sell the D7000.

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #2,548 of 7,457
I got my D7000s yesterday.  They are an enormous improvement over my M50s and Grado SR80is, and as far as I recall a huge improvement over my friend's HD600/HD650s and Denon D2000.  Everything sounds absolutely amazing through these cans.

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #2,549 of 7,457

Quote:
is it worth getting the damping mod from part of the markl upgrade??

Like everything else around here... it depends who you ask.

My opinion: No.

It's been discussed at length. Many D7000 owners don't feel that the D7k requires any modding past the J$ pads... if that. I would agree.
Others have gone for the whole LA mod and love them. Just a matter of taste.

Much has also been discussed about synergy and solid state amping, etc. It's all a matter of degrees and tastes and HRTF.

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #2,550 of 7,457

Quote:
I got my D7000s yesterday.  They are an enormous improvement over my M50s and Grado SR80is, and as far as I recall a huge improvement over my friend's HD600/HD650s and Denon D2000.  Everything sounds absolutely amazing through these cans.

Congrats !
What's your rig?

Oh... and do the frigid temps effect the sound? 
rolleyes.gif

wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back