Denon AH-D7000
Dec 31, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #2,521 of 7,464
The gold plated adapter from amazon looks great and fits just right. All for chump change.

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #2,522 of 7,464
that's the one I ordered. :D

Dec 31, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #2,524 of 7,464
If a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter costs as much as a decent pair of headphones, you're doing it wrong.

Dec 31, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #2,525 of 7,464

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
if anyone out there can recommend a 6.3mm --> 3.5mm adapter, I'd greatly appreciate it.

obviously u did not go through previous pages....i bought qables 6.3mm-3.5mm cable

dude, tell me you didn't really spend $80 on this.  

tell me you didn't.

Also, what's this nonsense about the LCD-2 being only a $300 upgrade over the D7000?  they're a $400+ upgrade from my purview, as I paid under $600 for my D7000s.  For me, the LCD-2 is about 65% more.  Quite the jump.  Is there really 65% more sound to be heard there?  or just different sound?

Same MSRP with the LCD2 but $999 is way, way overpriced for the D7000. It has been a while since I listened to the D7000 but the LCD2 is overall a definite improvement, the latter actually has some midrange to speak of, sounds more natural (D7000 is borderline sibilant IMHO), has a more accurate and extended bass, is more resolving and most importantly: LCD2 is a lot faster and has a blacker background. 

By the way, a portable amp with a beefy current output should have no problem driving the LCD2 but it improves with better amplification. The best match I've found so far is with the venerable β22. 

Dec 31, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #2,526 of 7,464
The LCD-2 was not as hard to drive as say the HE6 but still needed good amplification when I heard it at the head-fi meet. Actually the owner had a 601 mp3 player and it was able to drive the LCD-2 fairly well, not as good as the D7000 since they are easier to drive but it was wasn't bad sounding, just not up to it's full potential. Out of my iPhone the LCD-2 needed the volume almost cranked to the max just to get a nice volume (not loud). I can't imagine wearing the LCD-2 in any portable fashion though due to it's weight and size, where as I have worn my D7000 outside fairly comfortably although I don't think I would ever use them on a bus or anything like that, just around the yard or going for a walk.

Dec 31, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #2,527 of 7,464

Quote:
The LCD-2 was not as hard to drive as say the HE6 but still needed good amplification when I heard it at the head-fi meet. Actually the owner had a 601 mp3 player and it was able to drive the LCD-2 fairly well, not as good as the D7000 since they are easier to drive but it was wasn't bad sounding, just not up to it's full potential. Out of my iPhone the LCD-2 needed the volume almost cranked to the max just to get a nice volume (not loud). I can't imagine wearing the LCD-2 in any portable fashion though due to it's weight and size, where as I have worn my D7000 outside fairly comfortably although I don't think I would ever use them on a bus or anything like that, just around the yard or going for a walk.

glad you are enjoying your D7000 so much. They truly are a great headphone.

I think the Denon's benefit quite nicely from any decent amp. IMO they are one of the headphones I have heard change most via amping like another head-fier suggested and if you like them as much as I do it is worth checking you system as with any other flagship. Balancing mine (or just the phoenix on it's own) really makes them sing so I think even though they are sensitive they are thirsty for current as their 25 ohm suggests. Nice to see another person going down the balanced path.

FWIW I think both my D7000 and LCD-2 sound great even out of an iPod even if it is not the best they can sound.

Dec 31, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #2,528 of 7,464
There was a definite improvement going from iPhone to even my portable amp but as you say they still sound nice even just from an iPhone. After that though I found the improvement only increased slightly on bigger amps. But balanced really did change the sound in a positive way so I am looking forward to the day I can go balanced. I will wait until I can buy from RW Audio though as I like supporting local business and also am friends with the owner.

Dec 31, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #2,529 of 7,464
I recently received my Arrow portable. It is pretty nice with the denons, actually. The lowest gain with my iems is still much too loud. Rob atHheadstage offered to lower the gain for me. If that happens, the Arrow will be nice little amp. Even with the denons low gain is plenty for me. I listen at lower volume than most though ( probably why my hearing is still excellent at age 52). As for a desktop, I think folks are tired of hearing me carry on about my HR ultra. Just assume I did. Again.

Dec 31, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #2,532 of 7,464

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
if anyone out there can recommend a 6.3mm --> 3.5mm adapter, I'd greatly appreciate it.

obviously u did not go through previous pages....i bought qables 6.3mm-3.5mm cable

dude, tell me you didn't really spend $80 on this.  

tell me you didn't.

Also, what's this nonsense about the LCD-2 being only a $300 upgrade over the D7000?  they're a $400+ upgrade from my purview, as I paid under $600 for my D7000s.  For me, the LCD-2 is about 65% more.  Quite the jump.  Is there really 65% more sound to be heard there?  or just different sound?

Same MSRP with the LCD2 but $999 is way, way overpriced for the D7000. It has been a while since I listened to the D7000 but the LCD2 is overall a definite improvement, the latter actually has some midrange to speak of, sounds more natural (D7000 is borderline sibilant IMHO), has a more accurate and extended bass, is more resolving and most importantly: LCD2 is a lot faster and has a blacker background. 

By the way, a portable amp with a beefy current output should have no problem driving the LCD2 but it improves with better amplification. The best match I've found so far is with the venerable β22. 

In an absolute sense no the LCD-2 is not such a huge leap over the D7000 you are correct, and depending on your purchase price the value again varies. No they do not sound 65% better than the D7000 (I wish haha) but with the forever, and increasingly diminishing returns of hi-fi, the extra cash buys you a lot IMO, especially in a relative sense.

Some people spend 400$ on cables and seem to get nothing other than placebo and penis envy poitns ( :wink: no offense anyone im just kidding around ) wheras the LCD-2 are indeed noticeably better than the D7000 which is already a stellar headphone... so relatively the cash buys you a lot.

for the question about the D7000 and a portable amp: it will cut it and be extremely enjoyable, but not its best. But close. People really need to take everything (or almost everything) we head-fiers say with a rock of salt. I admit I love my end game rig and am convinced it sounds noticeably better with all headphones that I have tried... but I would be lying to everyone (myself included) if I did surmise my iPod and LCD-2 are all I would need to provide lifelong happiness...

Dec 31, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #2,534 of 7,464
I have a small portable amp (Rocoon 2) which does a very good job driving the D7000 for when I take mine outside.

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #2,535 of 7,464
well I stupidly ordered Denon V3 pads from Jeremy... hopefully they get here soon... they better be worth it because they cost an arm and a leg and I already find the stock pads comfortable, if a bit hot.

I wonder if the soundstage and bass really will improve as people say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back