Denon AH-C710 Review Thread
Aug 9, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #31 of 325
Thanks for the info and suggestions. The CKS70 looks promising, though it may only be useful indoors with the lack of isolation…coming from the E500. The Panny looks sweet and treble and neutrality appear to be its forte. Wish there were more reviews. I'm leaning towards the C710 as it looks to play nice with the faster genres.

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #32 of 325
My first little comparison. The C710 and the JVC/Victor NX55.

P1010035.jpg

The NX55 is the neckstrap version of the FX55S. The FX55 was the first JVC in-ear AFAIK and for sure their first released in the US. It was my first ever canalphone. The FX55S is a cable change a Gumy material change from the original FX55. My contention is that it is their second best phone behind the FX500.

The Denon is a more sensitive phone, 16 Ohm/110 sensitivity while the NX55 is 32 Ohm/95 sensitivity.

The Denon signature is more bass, more bright and extended treble while the NX55 has less bass and treble presence making the mids a bit more in your face. The soundtages are presented different but the image size is almost the same. The NX55 has more separation with more air around instruments and between vocals.

These are interesting earphones. Both try and mimic a larger headphone sound pretty well. Some nice reverb, good placement and distinction between impact of bass notes, decent imaging/depth overall and a large soundstage.

The Denon is a bit crisper and has more detail and treble presence/extension. I don't feel feel they really are that much ahead of the Victor though. Listening one after the other is fairly competitive. The more refined Denon versus the Victor which does have more forward vocals that are a bit more syrupy and sweet. I used to listen to the AKG K401 and the FX55 and for sure most all the Victor/JVC phones have pretty sweet mids(except for the DX1). The bass seems to go as low on both earphones but the NX55 has less bass with a quicker decay down low. At times a bit more punchy on the attack and a bit more agile. I might prefer the Victor staging the bass behind the vocals a bit more.

Overall, these are two of the more enjoyable earphones I have come across. Different but both aggressive, quick, large sounding with engaging bass and mids. The Denon has better objective SQ but subjectively they are near equally enjoyable to me.

The second comparison is the C710 vs. The CK10

P1010025-1.jpg

Well, the Denon is a lovely sounding phone. It does fall a bit short of the high end though. My CK10 which I run with an S-adapter and E2C black silicones is a clearer window into the music. The Denon sounds a bit veiled in comparison. The soundstage is slightly smaller. The CK10's greater separation and air help make the Denon seem smaller sounding also. The clarity is high end and the transparency is noticeably better for the Technica. The overall frequency range is wider for the CK10. The Denon sounds a bit slow and sluggish after listening to the CK10 first. The C710 is not really outclassed but beaten in most aspects. You can't go right away from one to the other like the NX55 and C710. Some time needs to be spent away from the CK10 and then the Denon will sound better.

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #34 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The second comparison is the C710 vs. The CK10

Well, the Denon is a lovely sounding phone. It does fall a bit short of the high end though. My CK10 which I run with an S-adapter and E2C black silicones is a clearer window into the music. The Denon sounds a bit veiled in comparison. The soundstage is slightly smaller. The CK10's greater separation and air help make the Denon seem smaller sounding also. The clarity is high end and the transparency is noticeably better for the Technica. The overall frequency range is wider for the CK10. The Denon sounds a bit slow and sluggish after listening to the CK10 first. The C710 is not really outclassed but beaten in most aspects. You can't go right away from one to the other like the NX55 and C710. Some time needs to be spent away from the CK10 and then the Denon will sound better.

Thanks for the comparisons.

Wow, clearer than the C710, amazing! How is the bass impact compared to the C710? I thought it was pretty flat whereas the C710 has exaggerated bass. And what is the price difference?

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #35 of 325
here is a review from someone that i know and there is a another someone whos a former C700/C751 lover i know that presently has her hands on a set of these so more thoughts may be forthcoming

Quick Denon C700/C710 comparison:

So Denon has finally come out with new Dynamic earphones! It’s time for the fans of the Denon sound to rejoice. I’ve been A/B’ing the C700 with the new C710 for over a week now, and it’s safe to say that the new phone surpasses the already good C700 in every way. For a cheaper price too. I’m wondering if there has been some advance in technology with these drivers in Asia because the current crop of dynamics is so good it’s scary. As an aside, I find the Victor FX500 in this ‘scary good’ category as well. Both the C710 and the FX500 handily trump the IE8, making it seem congested, plastic-sounding, and not as extended on the high or low ends. Amazing when you consider the league that the IE8 has been regarded in.

Sound characteristics:

AH-C700

+ Crisp, detailed, extended treble

+ Smooth, fluid, no harshess

+ Relatively extended, controlled bass

+ Decent soundstage

AH-C710

+ Equally extended, crisp and detailed treble

+ Smooth, fluid as well, perhaps a hair ‘brighter’ (they were a little harsh in the top end out of the box, but that has settled down with burn in

+ Hugely extended, yet tight and controlled bass (surpass the IE8 and Atrio handily, and is only matched by the FX500)

+ Fantastic stage (almost the equal of the IE8 for sheer width, but falls short by a little in comparison to the FX500 with its unbelievable combination of resolution with staging)

For build, both the C700 and C710 have the typical Denon toughness thanks to the aluminium housing. The C710’s cable is thinner, and some may criticize it for being ‘tangle prone’ but it still has a soft rubber-like coating which helps it spring out of its coiled up storage. I actually like the thinner guage because this makes them supremely comfortable to wear cable over the ear, which you couldn’t do with the C700. This helps the C710 stay in place much more securely, and improves isolation. Isolation is much better than with the FX500 or IE8, and I think is better than the C700 (although I haven’t done my ‘noisy café’ test with the C700 side by side with the C710).

It’s also nice that this offering from Denon actually came with ACCESSORIES! They come with the typical three sizes of silicone tips, as well as a set of Comply. I immediately stuck on my Sony Hybrid larges though and haven’t looked back. They’re a great match with these Denons as I suspected they would be.

Overall thoughts:

It’s great to be happy with a Denon phone again! And I find it unbelievable what value is offered with this new model. The C700’s sound recessed and not nearly as dynamic in comparison, with the whole sonic picture seeming to be placed much further toward the back of your head. The C710's by contrast seem to be much more enveloping. They take everything the 700’s did well to the next level. They keep that trademark Denon treble detail and sparkle, and now throw in proper mids, better staging, and phenomenal bass to boot. They have that same dry, neutral sound, but with the added low end and mids. They’re a worthy replacement/upgrade to the C700 indeed.

Aug 11, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #36 of 325
That review in almost every aspect reflects my thoughts about the C710 that I had demoed. The FX500 and C710 are so good it's truly scary especially at their price range haha. With light sealing to the IE8s I still prefer them to the FX500 but the FX500 brings some many good qualities to the table that you begin to wonder which of the phones were more expensive.

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #37 of 325
mark, I agree with the IE8 v C710 comments from your friend we should hear from in person soon
wink.gif

And HONEYBOY, it is scary that these sound so good at such a low price.

But I don't agree about the cable, hate it. If I can figure out how to open the IEM without damage, I will recable them.

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #38 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the comparisons.

Wow, clearer than the C710, amazing! How is the bass impact compared to the C710? I thought it was pretty flat whereas the C710 has exaggerated bass. And what is the price difference?

The CK10s are advertised from 195 to about 400 (from what I could find).

Aug 11, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #40 of 325
Nice stuff, Mark. I was thinking the C710 was a better phone than the C700 even though they put it lower on the Denon site. Aside from fit/ergonomics I thought the bass and staging were the improvements. That is just from my reading though; there are a lot of Denon C700 impressions/comparisons out there though.

@Joe: The CK10 is way more neutral and I add bass EQ. The CK10 doesn't punch as hard. I don't try to match the Denon bass amount though. I like and stop a bit less than the Denon. Difference is that you can work the CK10 to add some bass but can't really add the clarity/transparency to the Denon. *Of course the CK10 itself is somewhat like the RE0 with a larger soundstage; the E2c tips improve the bass tone and timbre to my ears and the added impedance improves them nicely. So the Denon would be closer to a stock CK10. They can be a bit hard to compare though as they are more opposite signatures than close sounding. Same like the RE0 vs. C710 one for each camp, bassy and neutral.

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #41 of 325
@mark2410

Thanks for passing along the review. Can you ask her or if anyone can comment on hiss levels for the following combos:

a) S9-C710
b) S9-FX500

@jant71

Thanks for complicating my contender list with the CK10!
wink.gif
So it's safe to say the CK10 stomps the C710 in the treble region (transparency, extension, imaging)? Or does the C710 put up a good fight?

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #44 of 325
Quote:

Thanks for passing along the review. Can you ask her or if anyone can comment on hiss levels for the following combos:

a) S9-C710
b) S9-FX500

I have the C751 and an S9. I have to crank up the volume to 36 before I can hear any hiss, and about 38 until it gets noticeable. Hope that helps.

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #45 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by steven_1026 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the C751 and an S9. I have to crank up the volume to 36 before I can hear any hiss, and about 38 until it gets noticeable. Hope that helps.

steven_1026 The denon c751 and C710 are different phones and the C710 is way more sensitive than the C751. They're both 16 Ohm phones but the C751 sensitivity is listed as 104db/mW whilst the C710 is rated at 110db/mW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back