Cypher Labs Algorhythm Duet
Jan 6, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #49 of 353
I am so curious about this comparison.. if the Rx Mk3b had been silent I would have had it.. and now.. maybe a Duet? :)

How is the Duet in terms of sound quality? Width? Depth? Highs? Vocals? Bass? Texture? Overall presentation? Musicallity? Fast? Slow? Mellow? Punchy?

I just want the "perfect" portable amp and am hoping that the Duet could be as close at it gets..

I am using T5P (is it silent enough?) and HD800 (has it enough power?)..
Have you (or anyone else) tried those with the Duet?

Edit:
Did just read about the Chord Hugo DAC/AMP.. and I must say it looks darn interesting too!
2014 may be a great year for Head-Fi'ers! :)

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #50 of 353
Here is my impression between Duet and Rx Mk3B. My test rig is ipod touch 5G connected to VentureCraft 12V DD Socket 1 limited edition with MUSES01 and Fitear MH335DW CIEM. I didn’t have a lot of time listen to them during new year but, so far, this is my impression on it.

The first thing that hit me when I plug my MH335DW to the Duet is how quiet it is. Comparing to Mk3B, Duet background noise is like “Wait!, did I already turn on the amp?”. If you owned or heard Mk3B on sensitive iem before, you will understand with I’m talking about. The background noise is almost unnoticeable.

Duet sound slightly brighter than Mk3B. Bass is definitely cleaner, tighter, less overwhelming and more controlled than Mk3B. The quality of bass improve a lot toward the upper ends. Both Duet and Mk3B’s mids are very clean and clear. I found that Duet’s mids are slightly forwarded and brighter than Mk3B. Trebles are almost identical between the two.

Soundstage width is very similar but Mk3B has slightly more depth to it. Mk3B seem to have slightly better 3D representation.

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #51 of 353
Thanks for your impressions mtthefirst.

I guess that it is a very good amp for iem's? And I guess that the T5P should be ok with the amp then.

And you are pleased with the Duet, and so pleased that you will sell the Mk3b?
Or do the Mk3b still have a place in your collection?

Words like "forward" and "brighter" when describing the mids scares me a little.. even though you also say slightly :)
Is it gonna be a problem with listening fatigue?

I am also curious about how the Duet will work with my HD800's. 
Has it enough power?

(I am also using  VentureCraft 12V DD Socket 1 Limited Edition, but with MUSES02 at the moment.. have not tried MUSES01 yet, but I have them lying around somewhere..)

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #52 of 353
  Thanks for your impressions mtthefirst.

I guess that it is a very good amp for iem's? And I guess that the T5P should be ok with the amp then.

And you are pleased with the Duet, and so pleased that you will sell the Mk3b?
Or do the Mk3b still have a place in your collection?

Words like "forward" and "brighter" when describing the mids scares me a little.. even though you also say slightly :)
Is it gonna be a problem with listening fatigue?

I am also curious about how the Duet will work with my HD800's. 
Has it enough power?

(I am also using  VentureCraft 12V DD Socket 1 Limited Edition, but with MUSES02 at the moment.. have not tried MUSES01 yet, but I have them lying around somewhere..)

My Mk3B will be gone soon. I think Duet is paired with iem better than Mk3B, at least for very sensitive iem. There is almost no channel imbalanced like the one in Mk3B.

Remember that Mk3B is kind of warm amp. Slightly brighter than Mk3B is equal to less warm for me.

MUSES02 is actually give warmer sound than MUSES01.

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #53 of 353
  My Mk3B will be gone soon. I think Duet is paired with iem better than Mk3B, at least for very sensitive iem. There is almost no channel imbalanced like the one in Mk3B.

Remember that Mk3B is kind of warm amp. Slightly brighter than Mk3B is equal to less warm for me.

MUSES02 is actually give warmer sound than MUSES01.

Ok. So the Mk3 is so warm that you have tried to make it less warm with MUSES01 in the DAC.
That makes sense.

Thanks again for your impressions mtthefirst. :)

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #54 of 353
Hey guys! Been quite interested in the duet for a while now.

Just a question though, does the duet have the ability to created balanced output with SE inputs?

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #55 of 353
  I have proudly been beta testing the Duet for a month and can report no hissing with my JH16's on medium gain. This amplifier is truly a revelation in combination with my Cypherlab-db.

Highly recommended.

I agree with this. The noise floor is very low. It isn't as low as the Vorzüge amps, but low enough that it will never ever get in the way of good music. The DUET is an amazing amazing amp. I think it will become a huge hit.

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #59 of 353
does the duet have the ability to convert single ended input to balanced output like PB2 and RSA amps do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back