Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 2, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #17,101 of 42,765
@x RELIC x
@Xacxac

Thanks for the info guys. I just tried out my UHA760 slammed directly under my Nexus 5 and got no EMI/RFI, so maybe that's a good sign. My coworker has a Mojo I can borrow to test. Will report back.

May 2, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #17,102 of 42,765
There isn't a Hugo 2 yet... I'd guess no, at least not right away.

The ultimate product Chord could make would be a:

1. Musicality of Mojo
2. Clarity, stage, treble of Hugo
3. Is an all-in-one DAP, finally no stacking!
4. Runs android so we can use tidal, spotify, bandcamp, stitcher, youtube, UAPP, etc
5. Can connect to smartphone via hotspot for internet, has 4g, wifi capable
6. 10+ hour battery life
7. Decent screen, basic LCD doesn't need to be fancy-invest in sound instead
8. Dual micro-sd
9. EMI/RF greatly reduced or eliminated
10. $800-$1,500
11. Pretty light interfcace and "bulletproof" construction Chord is known for
12. Bluetooth

I can dream...

May 2, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #17,103 of 42,765
I noticed certain things that I dislike when I pair mojo with headphones like the hd600. the sound is plenty loud but it feels like the sound produced is sucked in and collapsed, not dynamic at all.

Something about other daps/dacs artificially stretching stage, mojo is a more natural presentation

May 2, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #17,104 of 42,765
You guys have to check this out. It is even special without the Mojo. It's the most incredible thing I've ever heard. Found it in the abyss thread. Sorry for posting it in a few threads, I just love the sound.

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/fPcLZxiCwp0 [/VIDEO]

May 3, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #17,105 of 42,765
The whole DeepOceanOfSounds YouTube channel has some amazing binaural sound samples:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DeepOceanOfsounds/videos

May 3, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #17,107 of 42,765
Just want to add: we're living in super-dense RFI space nowadays. Microwave? RMI. Bluetooh mouse? RMI. Wifi router? RMI. Lightning bolt? EMI. Cordless phone? EMI. Technically, totally eliminating EMI is almost impossible. But those EMI waves are inaudible due to strength&distance. The best way to eliminate audible EMI is by putting phone to airplane mode & listen to the music offline.

So why it's possible to shield an iPhone and not a Mojo?
Despite I am a total fan of Chord I have to admit that I fail to understand how they could release a mobile DAC-amp designed to be used with phones without proper shielding.
As I said I use the Mojo only with Spotify and Tidal so airplane mode is not an option.

May 3, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #17,108 of 42,765
Despite I am a total fan of Chord I have to admit that I fail to understand how they could release a mobile DAC-amp designed to be used with phones without proper shielding.
As I said I use the Mojo only with Spotify and Tidal so airplane mode is not an option.

Biggest factor to me with regards to shielding isn't the Mojo itself but the cables that attach to it, either from the input (USB or COAX) or the headphones themselves which can act as antenna.
The only true way to eliminate these would be to deploy galvanic isolation but that technique isn't available for a truly portable device (yet).

Whenever I'm in the elevator and if the signal goes weak or gets cut off, any time my headphone cable gets close to the phone, RF noise goes through the roof. All other times, it's fine when my phone is stacked with the Mojo.

Of course, YMMV.

May 3, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #17,109 of 42,765

It could be as simple as the cable being used to connect to the Mojo acts as an antenna for the external EMI from the device to travel to the Mojo and be amplified.

Edit: Yeah, what xtr4 said. The shielding within the device is meant for the circuitry to play nice inside, not to accommodate external devices. Believe me, it isn't just the Mojo that this pops up as an issue.

May 3, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #17,110 of 42,765
I know that this is already probably covered but I'm about to pull the trigger on the mojo but wanted to know how does it fair with the Audeze lcd -3 I mean does that combo at least sound pretty decent any impressions?

May 3, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #17,112 of 42,765
I know that this is already probably covered but I'm about to pull the trigger on the mojo but wanted to know how does it fair with the Audeze lcd -3 I mean does that combo at least sound pretty decent any impressions?

Which version of the LCD-3? lol! Actually, I haven't read many impressions at all with the Mojo and LCD-3. If there are some Mython will probably know. :wink:

Audeze has been changing and modifying the drivers over the years so today's LCD-3 (110 Ohm, 102 dB/1mW) will not be driven the same as an earlier version, like the one from 2013 (50 Ohms, 93 dB/1mW). The specs say that the current model should be driven fine with the Mojo, but many prefer to use a dedicated desktop amp for more gestalt behind the drivers so to speak. Think synergy here.

I haven't heard the LCD-3 with the Mojo but my LCD-2 (60 Ohm, 96 dB/1mW) sounds great from the Mojo, but I will say that I prefer, for example, the larger Cavalli amps with the LCD-2, again, synergy. I think if you use the LCD-3 with the Mojo you may be satisfied with the sound, and know that you have some world class headphones that will pair with almost any desktop amplifier when upgraditis strikes, even though it may not be necessary.

May 3, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #17,113 of 42,765
I'm going to suggest that the Mojo may not be adequate. I tried the LCD-4s with the Mojo on the weekend and it was a failure, the bass falling apart quite dramatically. I didn't try the LCD-3s, but given the not to dissimilar specs for the latest version of them, it doesn't look hopeful. 

May 3, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #17,114 of 42,765
Mojo is really aiming for low impedance portable IEM and with those it shines, with all my headphone the result is lacking. They get pretty loud but loudness isn't any concern. 

May 3, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #17,115 of 42,765
  Mojo is really aiming for low impedance portable IEM and with those it shines, with all my headphone the result is lacking. They get pretty loud but loudness isn't any concern. 

thats why i am amping my mojo with an alo mk3 B

without the amp i do not enjoy the sound out of my oppo pm1 and mojo only

but once u amp the mojo with alo mk3 B and some eq , its a total different story of absolute bass bliss

I noticed that many say that their amp/dac can drive planars with authority, yes it can get loud but the whole sq collapses, and even my oppo pm1 which supposed to be easily driven the mojo alone does not do it for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back