Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 3, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #17,131 of 42,765
Regarding EMI:
Apple method is by putting a layer of metal on PCB. https://shop.icracked.com/products/iphone-4s-emf-shield I am not an expert on electromagnetism, so I don't know how effective it is.

I'm not picking a side, but I feel that this RF problem is quite exaggerated. I don't think mojo is overrated/overhyped as it sounds the best among sub $1k (or maybe more) DACs. Do you worry about EMI? Get a 64/128 GB phone or buy high capacity memory card and download your music to be stored offline. Or buy iPod touch/X7/ZX2. The options are there albeit there's a price to pay. Mojo isn't the perfect product - there's none. I own a 16GB phone, tried many methods of carrying the stack, tried cables & ferrite chokes. At the end, I decided to stack them together & just accept few seconds of EMI at the beginning of every song.

May 3, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #17,132 of 42,765
"timbre" means the door bell. You can just use a 2¢ word like "tone".☺

My dive into the audiophile world has been educational.  I have enjoyed the increase in vocabulary but more so, new understanding into the science of listening.  As to engineering?

With Rob's posts, 2 of ever 3 sentences means I must run and check definitions, in order to gain a bit of insight into a world all new to me. 

Although some of the audiophile speak is pretentious (and even ill-fitting) , I too, have found myself listening to the cymbals through Mojo.  This was evident in the "Rumors" recording that others had pointed out.  

I do struggle with inanimate electronic objects being given descriptions relating to human sexuality.  I note when an electronic device is "sexy" and try to guess the age of the writer.  
gs1000.gif

This, too is done when someone guesses the age of this old guy, should the tiny picture not give it away!  

May 3, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #17,133 of 42,765

Why use a simple word when you can use a posh one :)

You a reviewer in the making.

LOL! - reminds me of a fictitious character the DJ, Steve Wright, used to do, on BBC Radio 1 / 2:

Pretentious Music Journalist: supposedly based on a number of 1980s rock/pop reviewers (perhaps especially Simon Reynolds, David Stubbs and Paul Oldfield of Melody Maker), he reads a little too much into a band's songs with over-complex and artistically pretentious monologues where a simple explanation would suffice, e.g., "They generate a sonic cathedral of sound" means "loud".  (also: "caressing my cochleas with a sonic cathedral of sound")

May 3, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #17,135 of 42,765

LOL! - reminds me of a fictitious character the DJ, Steve Wright, used to do, on BBC Radio 1 / 2:

Pretentious Music Journalist: supposedly based on a number of 1980s rock/pop reviewers (perhaps especially Simon Reynolds, David Stubbs and Paul Oldfield of Melody Maker), he reads a little too much into a band's songs with over-complex and artistically pretentious monologues where a simple explanation would suffice, e.g., "They generate a sonic cathedral of sound" means "loud".  (also: "caressing my cochleas with a sonic cathedral of sound")

Some of the cleverest things I have read is when assigning aspects of music to topics completely unrelated to music.  

It is like an adult journalist sounding like a  teenager cutting loose with a thesaurus on steroids.  

did that come out right?

I also recognize that when so many people agree with so much high praise on a product, eventually, a contrarian view must be raised, even if not actually believed, with the position of 'contrary' praised for...not accuracy in evaluating the product, but for being...

contrary! 

Its the need to be different from everyone else and soon everyone starts being different and they all seem the same and the whole rebellion thing runs out of petrol.  

Having said that, Mojo is helping me try to grasp why Bach wasn't popular in his day!  

I do enjoy this thread!  

One mystery at a time.  

May 3, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #17,136 of 42,765

There shouldn't be any EMI or RF interference when listening to Mojo. I have yet to try it on an airplane but I will be doing that this summer for 6 international flights. When I listen to the Mojo is dead-silent.

And the measurements of THD and IMD measure up to how quiet this thing is and how clear everything sounds. Sure it doesn't have the bass oomph or drive of some bigger desktop setups but it is neutral to the point it is hard to find fault unless you prefer a thicker sound.

Also, my Theta is known for having a weight presentation, so I think the Mojo fairs better against more neutral / sterile sounding DACs.

By no means is the Mojo sterile, it is very neutral, just don't expect to find extra bass oomph.. you might need to EQ if you are that type of person.

May 3, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #17,137 of 42,765

The unusual part of this for me was that I came late to the Mojo party.  I was filled with over the top expectations from the constant high praise reviews, where it seems there is no place to go but down,  yet,  I was blown away by the clarity of the music.  

Congratulations.  

I arrived early but Blind and Oblivious. I had not read this thread before buying and at the time just needed a DAC/AMP for my phone.
I have moved on quite a way since.

@willowbrook
I personally am more than happy with my choice. I hope you will be too, just try to listen rather than analyse 

May 3, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #17,138 of 42,765

That link says directly that it can't be used on the Mojo if you scroll down a bit.

You can purchase the L19 cable from Penon Audio for $31, but it looks like it's out of stock right now. This link can also be found in the third post of the thread.
wink.gif

http://penonaudio.com/L19-Lightning-to-Micro-USB

@UNOE they are back in stock, but super limited supplies, apparently its selling like hotcakes

That link says directly that it can't be used on the Mojo if you scroll down a bit.

You can purchase the L19 cable from Penon Audio for $31, but it looks like it's out of stock right now. This link can also be found in the third post of the thread.
wink.gif

http://penonaudio.com/L19-Lightning-to-Micro-USB

@UNOE they are back in stock, but super limited supplies, apparently its selling like hotcakes

Ordered thanks

Just received my cable.  Does not work with Mojo.  Works with my DX90 in DAC mode.  So don't think the wire is broken.  Frustrating using it with 6S with DX90 works every time.  Has not worked once with Mojo. 

May 3, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #17,139 of 42,765
So I'm 1140 pages late to the party on this one. Got my mojo last week and whilst I've used it, my work schedule has meant I haven't abused it sadly.

First impressions were, well, honestly, a bit "meh". Really? Is this it? I've just spent £400 on this. Granted my source is 320 Kbps Apple tracks but my Cozoy Astrapi makes a noticeable difference.

And then I started relaxing and actually listening.

Wow.

No, really.

Wow.

Plane journeys suddenly semeed a lot more interesting. And sonic. I'm no audiophile but I love music and I love a full sound that swallows you whole and opens up the track. I love hearing the artist breathe, fingers sliding over the strings, brushes brushing the cymbals. And here Mojo didn't disappoint.

The best description I can come up with is spaghetti. Yes, spaghetti. For me what mojo does is take the spaghetti of music and straighten it all out, laying it side by side and allowing me to hear every facet of what the artist felt, sang, breathed and imagined but not in a clinical, removed way, more in a layer upon layer way.

Love it and look forward to more travelling when I get to sit back and let the miles rack up with mojo sitting by my side.

May 3, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #17,141 of 42,765
So I'm 1140 pages late to the party on this one. Got my mojo last week and whilst I've used it, my work schedule has meant I haven't abused it sadly.

First impressions were, well, honestly, a bit "meh". Really? Is this it? I've just spent £400 on this. Granted my source is 320 Kbps Apple tracks but my Cozoy Astrapi makes a noticeable difference.

Wow.

No, really.

Wow.

Plane journeys suddenly semeed a lot more interesting. And sonic. I'm no audiophile but I love music and I love a full sound that swallows you whole and opens up the track. I love hearing the artist breathe, fingers sliding over the strings, brushes brushing the cymbals. And here Mojo didn't disappoint.

The best description I can come up with is spaghetti. Yes, spaghetti. For me what mojo does is take the spaghetti of music and straighten it all out, laying it side by side and allowing me to hear every facet of what the artist felt, sang, breathed and imagined but not in a clinical, removed way, more in a layer upon layer way.

Love it and look forward to more travelling when I get to sit back and let the miles rack up with mojo sitting by my side.

Familiar story this. In this gadget driven fast age, it's easy to expect instant improvement in whatever area you are interested in. But its when you sit back and listen to the music and forget the hardware, that the playing sounds through as you found. Glad you like it.

May 3, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #17,142 of 42,765

Familiar story this. In this gadget driven fast age, it's easy to expect instant improvement in whatever area you are interested in. But its when you sit back and listen to the music and forget the hardware, that the playing sounds through as you found. Glad you like it.

I agree. However, I've realized there are two other factors that make finding "what's right for me" very difficult:

(1) Multiple things to get, and they all have an effect on each other.
The end goal everyone wants is basically the same: "great sound when I listen to music." But what is extremely complicated is there are multiple parts of the equation and they all have a key impact: the music itself (what format it's in)...the thing playing the music (DAP/phone/laptop/etc)...any sort of an amp/dac...and finally, the headphones. It can be overwhelming knowing where to start...what to spend...what to ignore...etc. And you read so often how thing A improves so much when paired with thing B (for instance, headphones that are difficult to drive and sound like crap out of a laptop...but then you add an amp, and voila -- it sounds nothing like it did before). You don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater (e.g. think the HD600 sucks because you didn't have it amped)...BUT than can be difficult when you get into factor #2:

(2) Trial periods are short.
Seems like everything is 30 days, and in some cases just 14 days. You have no choice but to be a little rushed in your decision-making, and if you don't immediately love something it's hard to know if it's because you simply don't like it (because that's all it will ever be)...or if you WOULD like it should you have what it needs to make it succeed (an amp...better source files...etc).

I've learned that in the pursuit of "great sound when I listen to music" you really have to be patient and realize you won't nail it the first time out, and you have to basically be okay with spending more than you want initially to simply try multiple things -- then simply be willing to return/exchange them while you're still within your trial period. (at least that is what has been working for me)

May 3, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #17,143 of 42,765

Wow.

No, really.

Wow.

well said. Once you "get it" there's no turning back.

May 3, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #17,144 of 42,765

Reminds me of a song lyric from German band ...But Alive which translates to 'writing about music is like dancing along to architecture, that's still better than nothing even though it IS nothing'... Well sounds better in german :)

Since I happen to have you on the phone, sort of, do you know about any comments about synergy of Mojo and Riva Turbo X? Just pulled the trigger.

EDIT : it's not an IEM... it's a one Box speaker system... Just so you all save yourself some googleing

Cheers

May 3, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #17,145 of 42,765
Since I happen to have you on the phone, sort of, do you know about any comments about synergy of Mojo and Riva Turbo X?

No, not specifically.

Good though the Riva Turbo X may be, for its size, I doubt it will be sufficiently revealing to truly convey the delicate nuances that Mojo is so adept at.

That is not to say it's not a good product, nor that it won't sound good with Mojo - just that it may not be an especially noteworthy combination, synergy-wise.

I hope you perceive what I'm saying in the spirit it is intended, rather than feeling I am insulting you or the Riva Turbo X - I'm not. I'm just saying it's 'horses for courses'. Volkswagen make some truly excellent cars, but fill them with expensive high-octane racing fuel and they're not going to perform as well as a Ferrari filled with the same high-octane fuel. But the VW will perform very nicely, so, if you happen to have high-octane racing fuel and a VW, then you're still going to enjoy the combination
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back