Chord Hugo
Jan 1, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #12,616 of 15,694
I am tempted to start a petition for a chord DAP, and I shall propose the name Chord2Go. 
I am reading the web crazy to find a matching multi BA CIEM, I think searching for other alternative in terms of portable source is fruitless. I had a lot of fun with calyx M and I still do but it has few key issue that it failed to address, I love the sound of Lotoo but its UI is primitive and sometimes it effects the experience. 

I also like to see a hardcase for chord Hugo. There were some proposed case ideas for Mojo, I like this to see them developed for HUGO. The leather case was nice at start but the straps on mine are just too loss now, and they are little awkward with some of my daps, they are just too thick!

Jan 1, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #12,617 of 15,694

Why did you connect the Mojo with the Meier Audio Corda Quickstep amp in silver? I own both devices too, is there a reason why you use the amp instead of Mojo output? Or only for the pictures?

Jan 1, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #12,618 of 15,694
  Why did you connect the Mojo with the Meier Audio Corda Quickstep amp in silver? I own both devices too, is there a reason why you use the amp instead of Mojo output? Or only for the pictures?

There is no clear need if you are fine with the sound of Mojo however I find Mojo gets loud too quick, and as a result I sense I loss a bit of control, dynamic from the sound. So I connect the less colored amp I own (which to my ears still effect the midrange in a positive way) to basically have more ability to fine tune the volume.

Jan 1, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #12,619 of 15,694
I am reading the web crazy to find a matching multi BA CIEM,

I think you should listen to Final Audio Heaven VII or VIII. These are single BAs. Single BAs have a wholeness in their musicality that the multi-BAs don't do (in my opinion). I rejected Shure 846 in favour of Heaven VIII because the latter connects me to the music.

In my opinion a lot of the magic in the musicality of headphones is due to their use of a single driver: there is no crossover, which is normal in speakers and also there's no problem with each driver having a different "sound".

Jan 1, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #12,620 of 15,694
I think you should listen to Final Audio Heaven VII or VIII. These are single BAs. Single BAs have a wholeness in their musicality that the multi-BAs don't do (in my opinion). I rejected Shure 846 in favour of Heaven VIII because the latter connects me to the music.

In my opinion a lot of the magic in the musicality of headphones is due to their use of a single driver: there is no crossover, which is normal in speakers and also there's no problem with each driver having a different "sound".

I own the FAD 6 and I do really like the sound however they distort at loud classical passage. That is part of their design, they tune their gears in a very particular fashion. I haven't tried the new FAD VII/VIII yet, thanks for the recommendation. 

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #12,621 of 15,694
The tt takes sound to a new level. I was impressed with hugo, especially as a portable. But tt rules. I beleive it is chords sweet spot. Id love to hear dave, im sure its faster and adds more depth and seperation, but if i never get another dac, TT is it.

Jan 1, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #12,622 of 15,694
  The same for me.

After one year of using the hugo as standalone and fixed DAC, I always appreciate the Hugo as the best DAC that I listen among the different DACs that I owned (Benchmark, Mytek, Dangerous Music, TOTAL DAC, Bel Canto).

HUGO better as fixed DAC than TotalDAC !  Are you serious ?  

I will try this sunday my HUGO against a TotalDAC and will see if this is the case.  May be I will be surprised but I doubt !  At least in term of musicality.

Jan 1, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #12,623 of 15,694
My best headphone experience ever:

Chord Hugo + Final Audio X-Gold. With a Naim server front end.

The sound that had it all: realistic timbres, 3D space recreation, natural mids, clear bass, smooth highs, pinpoint accuracy!

People tend to ignore this special pair of IEMs due to their high price. What a pity...

Jan 1, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #12,624 of 15,694
  My best headphone experience ever:

Chord Hugo + Final Audio X-Gold. With a Naim server front end.

The sound that had it all: realistic timbres, 3D space recreation, natural mids, clear bass, smooth highs, pinpoint accuracy!

People tend to ignore this special pair of IEMs due to their high price. What a pity...

I have the FAD PFVIII and I am not very found of them.  May be the X-Gold are much better or... the PF serie is not for me ? 

Jan 1, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #12,625 of 15,694
  There is no clear need if you are fine with the sound of Mojo however I find Mojo gets loud too quick, and as a result I sense I loss a bit of control, dynamic from the sound. So I connect the less colored amp I own (which to my ears still effect the midrange in a positive way) to basically have more ability to fine tune the volume.

I use mostly low red volume on CIEM usage which is the lowest volume setting which is fine for me. The Quickstep is a pretty decent amp and is built like a tank, love them too.

Jan 1, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #12,626 of 15,694
I've only listened to VII and VIII so I can't compare. I do find VIII is a lot less dynamic than HD 650. I'm not convinced that IEMs can do dynamics like full size headphones, judging by what I've listened to.

Final Audio Lab 1 has dual full-range BAs which should help with dynamics. Not heard it though and couldn't buy it.

Jan 1, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #12,627 of 15,694
I have not tried my 846 yet into TT the 900 still have lots of time on head yet. I do like the sub bass of the 846, but have been looking at piano forte X gold and k10 u but I'm so happy with 846 for out and about I don't know if another iem is in my future unless of a failure of some kind. But thanks for the piano reference I have not heard much feed back till now.

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #12,628 of 15,694

HUGO better as fixed DAC than TotalDAC !  Are you serious ?  

I will try this sunday my HUGO against a TotalDAC and will see if this is the case.  May be I will be surprised but I doubt !  At least in term of musicality.

I tested for more than one week (option with VAR Bulk Metal® Foil de Vishay Foil Resistors) a TOTAL Dac Ref D1 Single more than 2 years ago. The sonic signature was too "aliased" sound for me. For my taste, many qualities and some defaults I can accept at this level of price. Additionally, the USB input was poor in comparison with my audiophilleo 1.

I know the the total dac and in particular the USB input have been reworked since.

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #12,629 of 15,694
The tt takes sound to a new level. I was impressed with hugo, especially as a portable. But tt rules. I beleive it is chords sweet spot. Id love to hear dave, im sure its faster and adds more depth and seperation, but if i never get another dac, TT is it.

I would like to test the TT but it is not really easy to find it in France in demonstration or to test it.

I read that Rob said that the TT was darker than the Hugo.

Any comments about this ?

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #12,630 of 15,694

I would like to test the TT but it is not really easy to find it in France in demonstration or to test it.

I read that Rob said that the TT was darker than the Hugo.

Any comments about this ?

The nuances of interpreting musicality varies and I don't want to refute anyone's interpretation. The TT is fuller with more bass slam, detail, and it's faster. It's literally better in every way. The most noticable improvement for me are the Mids. They are brought out detail yet smooth. This in itself improves the whole listening experience for my th900. If you like the chord sound as it were, you will love the TT honestly. Over time I may chill with the TT but seriously, and I know this statement on head fi is wishful blasphemy, end game dac amp for my tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back