Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Aug 17, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #256 of 1,858
Dude, take more care with reading. No-one disputes you like colouration, that much is evident. The very reasonable point is that you should or could have just gone out and bought bass bias headphones and saved yourself a ton of effort and pain.

Thoroughly disagree that Hugo is lacking in bass or transparency in any fashion. There are bags of bass impact and quantity when the song calls for it.

Also you have fallen into the trap of equating neutrality to lack of bass.

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #257 of 1,858
Dude, take more care with reading. No-one disputes you like colouration, that much is evident. The very reasonable point is that you should or could have just gone out and bought bass bias headphones and saved yourself a ton of effort and pain.

Thoroughly disagree that Hugo is lacking in bass or transparency in any fashion. There are bags of bass impact and quantity when the song calls for it.

Also you have fallen into the trap of equating neutrality to lack of bass.

ok let me be specific i am talking bout hugo audeze combo specifically 

i have the shure 846  and with hugo alone there is tons of bass

so again with full headphones audeze as I said I love the highs and mids so all i need is a bass boost thats it, also the fiio e11 is so cheap so no harm done here adding the fiio e11

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #258 of 1,858

so again with full headphones audeze as I said I love the highs and mids so all i need is a bass boost thats it, also the fiio e11 is so cheap so no harm done here adding the fiio e11

It's possible the lows are being rolled off with certain phones.  846 is not that hard to drive, and the bass is a bit up there for those that like it.  So you are getting bass out of 846 no problem since it's easy to drive. 

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #259 of 1,858

Am out after this but you have just confirmed what everyone else has been trying to say for four-weeks: you + lcd2.2 = not a happy marriage! Am guessing no point joining those dots :)

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #260 of 1,858

That is like buying a supercar (Hugo), and putting tractor tyres (E11) on it...

As others have said, you're wasting 3/4 of the potential of the Hugo by double amping into the lowly E11 - You'd be much better off losing the Hugo completely, and running something like the CEntrance HiFi M8, which has adjustable bass boost (just a little hint, +3db iirc) but then you get cleaner amplification than you would with the E11 alone, or - depending on your gear, go for an FiiO X5 / E12 combination that will look half neat, and - give you plenty of power (which is apparently what you're after)...

Aug 17, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #261 of 1,858
That is like buying a supercar (Hugo), and putting tractor tyres (E11) on it...

As others have said, you're wasting 3/4 of the potential of the Hugo by double amping into the lowly E11 - You'd be much better off losing the Hugo completely, and running something like the CEntrance HiFi M8, which has adjustable bass boost (just a little hint, +3db iirc) but then you get cleaner amplification than you would with the E11 alone, or - depending on your gear, go for an FiiO X5 / E12 combination that will look half neat, and - give you plenty of power (which is apparently what you're after).

ok guys i i know this and i agree with you all, but as I said i love bass and since in the beginning when i bought both the hugo and the lcd2 i did not have the privilege to audition the hugo with the lcd2 so i am trying different things that i can add to achieve more bass without buying anything expensive like the audeze or hugo again as buying something that expensive is out of question , I tried selling the audeze on ebay and no one bought it i offered for a loss of more than 20% than what I bought it for , i also put the audeze for sale n here and not even a single interest reply

so my choices were either by keep messing with the eq in onkyo or try to add a cheap headphone amp with bass boost, 

I simply can't sell the audeze and buy another headphone like the th900 

so I am willing to add around 200-300 USD to invest in a better headphone amp with bass boost than the fiio e11 to connect to hugo so if u want to help you can suggest me a better headphone amp than the fiio e11 soley for bass boost, please i don't need to be critiqued if i like more bass in my setup, i am stuck with the hugo and audeze and i can't sell them or i will lose lots of money so I need your help in identifying a better headphone amp to add bass boost to the hugo

Aug 17, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #262 of 1,858
so I am willing to add around 200-300 USD to invest in a better headphone amp with bass boost than the fiio e11 to connect to hugo so if u want to help you can suggest me a better headphone amp than the fiio e11 soley for bass boost, please i don't need to be critiqued if i like more bass in my setup, i am stuck with the hugo and audeze and i can't sell them or i will lose lots of money so I need your help in identifying a better headphone amp to add bass boost to the hugo
That budget to me is still a bit pointless, too low - like drinking a fine wine from a plastic beaker...

...Even completely ignoring the Hugo (ironic, in a Hugo thread) the budget you have isn't enough to fully exploit the potential of the Audeze, so - I implore you to reconsider - why bother flogging a dead horse, if you like the SE846 and Hugo combination, look at selling the LCD2, and with the money gained from that sale, plus the $2-300 you have quoted you can lay down on an amplifier, look at better headphones...

...OR... sell the Hugo, and with that money alongside the money set aside for an amp, buy a killer desktop amp that will power the LCD2s well...

That being said, I am underwhelmed by the LCD2 these days compared to the IE800, so - I wouldn't be surprised if - with the SE846 that you have, you're at a level above the LCD2, and it really will be a case of that you will never be happy with them...

Aug 17, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #263 of 1,858
That budget to me is still a bit pointless, too low - like drinking a fine wine from a plastic beaker...

...Even completely ignoring the Hugo (ironic, in a Hugo thread) the budget you have isn't enough to fully exploit the potential of the Audeze, so - I implore you to reconsider - why bother flogging a dead horse, if you like the SE846 and Hugo combination, look at selling the LCD2, and with the money gained from that sale, plus the $2-300 you have quoted you can lay down on an amplifier, look at better headphones...

...OR... sell the Hugo, and with that money alongside the money set aside for an amp, buy a killer desktop amp that will power the LCD2s well...

That being said, I am underwhelmed by the LCD2 these days compared to the IE800, so - I wouldn't be surprised if - with the SE846 that you have, you're at a level above the LCD2, and it really will be a case of that you will never be happy with them...

duncan selling is not an option no one will buy from me i already tried selling the lcd2

can't you give a suggestion to a better amp with bass boost than fiio e11 with the Hugo

also i am travelling a lot so buying a desktop amp is not an option

Aug 17, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #264 of 1,858
duncan selling is not an option no one will buy from me i already tried selling the lcd2

can't you give a suggestion to a better amp with bass boost than fiio e11 with the Hugo

also i am travelling a lot so buying a desktop amp is not an option
No, I cannot - and it seems that no matter who tries to convince you, you cannot see that...

Some things just do not work together (going back to my wine & beaker analogy)... All I can do is point you in the direction of this thread, and wish you well in your quest...

Aug 17, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #265 of 1,858
No, I cannot - and it seems that no matter who tries to convince you, you cannot see that...

Some things just do not work together (going back to my wine & beaker analogy)... All I can do is point you in the direction of this thread, and wish you well in your quest...

so another question i have an fiio e18 which has a coaxial out do u think if i connect the iPod to fiio e18 then connect it coaxially to hugo it will be better than just connect my iPod to hugo 

Aug 17, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #266 of 1,858
so another question i have an fiio e18 which has a coaxial out do u think if i connect the iPod to fiio e18 then connect it coaxially to hugo it will be better than just connect my iPod to hugo 
No. it will not, all you are doing is adding another link to the chain...

Let's try a different tangent - the bassiest headphones I've ever had the pleasure of hearing (when driven well) were a pair of Philips M1 headphones - listening to the canons at the end of the 1812 overture at high volume, they literally moved air (bounced away from my head, NOT recommended!) - these can easily be bought with the budget you have in mind for the amp, and can easily be powered by the Hugo...

Once auditioned (don't want you throwing good money after bad) then you can look at selling the LCD2, even with a loss (us over this side of the atlantic get so ripped off compared to those west of it, hence you're having a hard time selling them on with the price you have quoted). and then both sides of your requirement have been fulfilled.

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #267 of 1,858
ok let me tell u i am more looking for what i like to hear in my gear, and for me music needs coloration and i know many will disagree but i love bass, and as i mentioned before i love the bass i get from my cheap sms by 50 cent but only the bass and not the mids or highs. So that is when i got the audeze i was blown away by the mids and highs but i kept missing the bass impact, or what ever u call it coloration or bass boost.

so i was always thinking now what i have this expensive gear but lower than my liking in bass sector. So that is what i discover by adding an amp with bass boost to the hugo the audeze now is close to perfection. Nice full warm sound , great great bass, and nice mids and highs. 

for me i don't need to be like the rest of u, who consider coloured music or bass boosted music bad, i like it that way, and so be it.

i barely came across any album that does not need eq or bass boost for my own preferences so i hope u respect that not all people like flat sound.

I am a person who loves full rich warm bass sound signatures 

I don't like reference sound or flat eq, and that is just me

so anyone who feel they need more oomph from their hugo audeze combo they should consider adding an amp with bass boost so this is not for people like u or who just like flat or reference quality

we are all different so it will be also helpful if instead crtizcing me to help people like me who love a certain sound signature to get it even with gear like hugo or audeze

as with fostex or denon i never heard them but i had the mad dog 3.2 and its not like audeze in mids and highs, so the missing thing with the audeze hugo combo was boosting the bass with an amp. And I bet not even one of those has the sweet highs and mids like audeze as those are out of the world

and finally when i did blind test for 5 people they all loved the hugo fiio e11 combo 

what i like to get now is a dam portable equaliser instead of relying in the silly eq in onkyo player to take it to another level, I am a bass and eq lover you don't need to be an audiophile to enjoy gears like hugo, as in the end its all fun to play with such gear as u like

I know u might say why not cheaper stuff, I already had fiio x3 fiio 5 and other toys non are like the hugo for person who loves to colour music

Has your Fiio X 5 coaxial output ?
I use Ibasso HDP R 10 coax out > Hugo coax in = SQ is excellent
And has plenty of Bass , all my LCDs : LCD X , LCD XC and LCD 3 Fazor sound great with this set up
I can drive my Abyss 1266 too .
IMO

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #268 of 1,858
Has your Fiio X 5 coaxial output ?
I use Ibasso HDP R 10 coax out > Hugo coax in = SQ is excellent
And has plenty of Bass , all my LCDs : LCD X , LCD XC and LCD 3 Fazor sound great with this set up
I can drive my Abyss 1266 too .
IMO

I have fiio e18 I sold my fiio x5.

The fiio e18 has coaxial out though any suggestion

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #269 of 1,858
I have fiio e18 I sold my fiio x5.

The fiio e18 has coaxial out though any suggestion
Now I'm even more confused, so you have two dac/amps, and - no source?

...This really probably belongs in a different thread!?

Additionally, you haven't seemingly liked the LCD2 since the day you received them - a post of yours from the day you received them...

i recently bought a used well maintained audeze lcd2 rev2, and i noticed in the low end frequencies that sometimes the sound is like rumbles or distorts when there is extra bass, I am waiting for my chord hugo to arrive so right now I am using just the ifi ican nano as an amp connected to fiio 18 as dac.

so for example if i play the song magic by coldplay which has a lot of low end notes i feel something is not right in the low end, is that because i am using a bad dac and amp, and things will improve with chord hugo or is the audeze lcd2 rev2 not good in playing heavy bass music

...and you received the Hugo on the same day, so - as I said, looks like you're aiming for something that the LCD2s just do not want to do, if they distort when you pump your bass into them - I am not going to respond any further to you within this thread, as it is nothing to do with the Hugo that you're after, and moreso a headphone change, as I have said in an earlier post, I agree that the LCD2 isn't very powerful in terms of bass, well textured, but - not deep, not brain smashingly powerful, which - coming from the mass-market 50 cent headphones you like, is what you're expecting, but - will not get from higher end equipment - or at the very least from the LCD2 - which, you yourself acknowledged two months ago, so - am unsure why you cannot acknowledge it now.

Finally - following another post of yours - copied for completeness, but with the point I want to mention in bold...

i want basshead bass not open headphones bass as the ones you mentioned are open and i have doubt they are basshead

i am uisng an iPod touch as a transport with hugo, and every album with audeze I feel I have to adjust eq. And bass is not there to me

Whie this cheap sms by 50 cent gives me pleasure listening to music without eq and I keep the eq in the iPod flat, it has really nice bass punch and is not irritating in highs as the audeze ( sorry thats my opinion when paired with hugo ) the music is boring and FLAT FLAT in this combo.

So this is why I want the best of the best basshead headphone to pair with my beloved hugo

and since most of us who use hugo as a transport this means we use Onkyo HF player maybe you can share a bass head good sounding eq curve as I tried to play around with it and not that impressive, as the audeze starts to distort if I want to reach basshead level bass

And to add to the irony, I just paired my phone sony xperia z ultra by buetooth to my sms by 50 cent ( bluetooth ) and compared it to the very expensive hugo+ audeze, and guess what I liked the xperia and sms better I am sure that its the headphones of audeze that are not doing it for me bass wise

Why not stay with the setup that you yourself said you preferred? - we all make mistakes in our audio gear choices, and - if you prefer the cellphone and 50 cent headphones, more power to you, enjoy them, and - as cosmic says below, sell all your other gear to get some of the money back.

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #270 of 1,858
@hykhleif

I think the best option is to sell the gear you dont like and cut your losses. Then use the same money to re-do your system (portable). I know it sucks, but everyone has been there before to a certain extent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back