Please chime in what your best amps are for this headphone or educated guesses compared to previous ortho experiences.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAudezetagged by System, 6/22/10
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 6/22/10
- productCavalli Audio Liquid Firetagged by System, 4/26/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/27/10
- productLeben CS-300Xtagged by System, 6/30/10
- brandMeier Audiotagged by System, 7/19/10
- productMeier Audio Concertotagged by System, 7/19/10
Related Forum Threads
- Head Fi's Favourite Amp for the Audeze LCD 2: $200-$1000 [POLL] Last post on 8/4/15 at 6:00pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The absolute BEST amp for the LCD-3 (only vote if you have heard the mjolnir and at least one... Last post on 11/12/15 at 7:08am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Portable amp for LCD2 Last post on 10/9/14 at 2:58pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Leben CS600 in DC area -- anyone with LCD2, T1, GS1000, HD800, 702 who wants to listen? Last post on 2/20/15 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire is finally here Last post on 11/22/11 at 8:45pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I`ve had the ATH-A900 LTD in 10 years and they still play very well indeed! I checked out the sound quality this week against the best they had in our local hi-fi store and the ones I heard wasn`t...
BRIEF SUMMARY The HD800 has always been my goal ever since I started on my audio journey 5 years ago, but I was into portable audio back then and the price of the HD800 were fairly expensive so...
The product was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with all my...
First of all I’d like to thank LZ and Lao for sending me a review sample of the LZ A2S. I'd also want to thank my friend Tamal for informing me about the LZ A2S, thanks mate! The retail price of...
Ampsandsound are an amplifier and loudspeaker builder out of Southern California. I discovered Justin Weber and team through Head-Fi, when reports of their Kenzie headphone amps appeared. Since...
Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2post #1 of 86586/4/10 at 4:09pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 86586/4/10 at 4:18pm
Well...of the amps I own, the best was the Leben CS300X. The Leben and the LCD-2 together are HEAVENLY.
Next best was the Meier Concerto - which was also excellent with the LCD-2 (and is solid state, unlike the Leben...and also 1/4 the price of the Leben...)post #3 of 86586/4/10 at 5:25pm
I did most of my listening with an amp that will be coming to market shortly - it is being "unveiled" at canjam. It is the Liquid Fire amp from Cavalli Audio. It is a tube hybrid, high voltage for the tubes to keep them operating at their most linear point, dual 30V rails for the class A Mosfet output stage which allows 42V p-p swing. DC coupled so no caps or transformers n the signal path and a servo which keeps the offset at zero.
It is a wonderfully powerful amp and well worth the audition. Cavalli Audio is also releasing a solid state amp, the "Liquid Gold" which will have similar voltage swing but will be faster.
..dBpost #4 of 86586/4/10 at 5:26pm
I will add more commercial amps as I read through the vast list out there and find amps that I feel would be worth an audition.
well this sounded like an easy task but there are sooooo many amps out there! I guess I have lived a secluded life in DIYland. So I will not be tracking down all the topologies of the commercial offerings as I could spend many hours on this which I have no real interest in for myself. If people have an amp in mind, might I suggest you do the leg work and post a comprehensive overview of what is known about topology and specs and then we can hash out an opinion.
(keeping this to commercial amps as DIY is another ball game )
Edited by dBel84 - 6/5/10 at 10:10ampost #5 of 86586/13/10 at 6:42pm
Can this thread please include prices, so as to maintain a sense of perspective.
I've just had a quick look around, but can not find prices for Mr. Cavalli's Liquid Fire and Liquid Gold amps. Has the price been released?post #6 of 86586/13/10 at 7:02pmQuote:
I believe the Liquid Fire will be priced around $2,000 based on my recollection of speaking with Dr. Cavalli at CanJam, but I can't confirm that. He also seemed interested in following up with people from CanJam as he was making a list of people who auditioned the amp. as well as getting feedback on pricing for the Liquid Fire.
Edited by Ridleyguy - 6/13/10 at 7:12pmpost #7 of 86586/13/10 at 7:44pm
I am using SPL Phonitor amp (pro audio) and playing Dire Straits Brothers In Arms makes it sound like 3D, drums way in front of the head and guitar on the side, just like watching them. I don't know where they were standing at the recording, but it is a new scale of experience compare to other headphones on same setup. Headphone out of my cd player with LCD-2 sounds better then with T1. No previous experience with orthos (that I remember).
Edited by Markj - 6/13/10 at 7:49pmpost #8 of 86586/13/10 at 7:56pmpost #9 of 86586/13/10 at 9:50pmThread Starter
only 360 mA out of 50 Kohm though. I hear you about dire straits have their recordings are phenomenal. Soundstaging out of my Auditor is the best I heard so far too.
Do you find the Phonitor being able to drive the T1 better then the LCD-2?post #10 of 86586/13/10 at 10:29pm
Ridleyguy thank you for the swift answer.
The specification quotes 360 mW into 30 Ohms.
That translates into 216 mW into 50 Ohms.
That translates into approximately 114 dB into a LCD-2.
More than enough.
(Obviously you will ignore the 15W LCD-2 maximum rating, as you surely understand that is the maximum level that the speaker unit will withstand before sustaining physical damage, and hence it has no relevance to human listening levels or actual power requirements for normal listening).post #11 of 86586/14/10 at 1:09amThread Starter
Yes correct at 30 ohms. I am not looking at volume but an amp that can drive the LCD-2s to the max. Would 116mW really be sufficient for a 50 ohm heapdhone? People recommend DIY amps and such which have way more power or to use speaker terminals.post #12 of 86586/14/10 at 2:13amQuote:
That's because a lot of people talk out of their ignorant butts!
Facts are important when it comes to understanding headphone power requirements, so let's consider the facts relating to the LCD-2...
According to the specification published on Audez'e site the LCD-2 headphones have a 50 Ohm impedance and a 91 dB at 1 mW sensitivity.
According to the specification published on SPL's site the Phonitor amplifier has 360 mW into 30 Ohms.
360 mW into 30 Ohms has a voltage swing (supported by sufficient current) that translates into 216 mW into 50 Ohms.
Given the 91 dB at 1 mW rating of the LCD-2, then 216 mW translates into approximately 114 dB.
And now for reasonable supposition... if a user is listening at a typical 80 dB, then 114 dB gives 34 dB of headroom, which should be more than enough for almost anyone.
And now for enthusiastic extremism... if a user is headbanging at 95-100 dB they might conceivably require an occasional peak rock-concert level of 120 dB (which really is head-in-the-speakers loud), in which case an amplifier would have to deliver 1 Watt (i.e. 1000 mW), which on a 50 ohm load is 7.07 V RMS and a peak current of 200 mA.
This all assumes that the impedance curve is flat, however if it undulates then a little more reserve power might be required for some headbangers!
So, in conclusion, the Phonitor should provide more than sufficient volume for most people most of the time, but committed loud rock lovers might desire a touch more.post #13 of 86586/14/10 at 2:17am
I have never heard any ortho headphones, but whenever I have read anuy post about the LCD2 ,I have also read along with it the best amp for it is the liquid gold by Cavalli.post #14 of 86586/14/10 at 5:59amQuote:
Fascinating, since that amp isn't yet available, and almost no one has ever heard one.post #15 of 86586/14/10 at 6:04amThread Starter
the power of unobtanium is strong :)
@Leny I don´t think anyone have ever mentioned that you won´t get ample volume with a phonitor/auditor rather that it may not be able to drive the LCD-2 to the max. As always it can just be bad synergy for a persons ear.
Also specs are often measured at optimal temperatures and such to make it look as good as possible. max output is not always the same as continous output either
- Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Benjie S5 Offical Thread 1 minute ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.4 - January 24, 2016 1 minute ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 2 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 2 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 3 minutes ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 6 minutes ago
- › Transform your Journey - Sennheiser PXC 550 Wireless headphones... 6 minutes ago
- › ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion 7 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900LTD by Heepaholic
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by Jeremypsp
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by twister6
- › LZ-A2S by peter123
- › ampsandsound Mogwai Single-Ended Amplifier by dmhenley
- › Cleer DJ Professional DJ Headphone by moedawg140
- › RHA MA750 by bobghosh
- › Questyle CMA600i "Current Mode Amplification" Headphone... by glassmonkey
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Talai
- › Shure SRH840 by haroldtheboss
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...