Please chime in what your best amps are for this headphone or educated guesses compared to previous ortho experiences.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAudezetagged by System, 6/22/10
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 6/22/10
- productCavalli Audio Liquid Firetagged by System, 4/26/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/27/10
- productLeben CS-300Xtagged by System, 6/30/10
- brandMeier Audiotagged by System, 7/19/10
- productMeier Audio Concertotagged by System, 7/19/10
Related Forum Threads
- Head Fi's Favourite Amp for the Audeze LCD 2: $200-$1000 [POLL] Last post on 1/21/15 at 5:58pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The absolute BEST amp for the LCD-3 (only vote if you have heard the mjolnir and at least one... Last post on 11/20/14 at 9:10am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Portable amp for LCD2 Last post on 10/9/14 at 2:58pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Leben CS600 in DC area -- anyone with LCD2, T1, GS1000, HD800, 702 who wants to listen? Last post on 2/20/15 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire is finally here Last post on 11/22/11 at 8:45pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I realize it is a bit of apples vs oranges, but I will compare these to the Sennheiser HD 600 sound, since I sometimes use those to mix recordings with, and many know their sound. Assuming good...
My Amazon Review: I've owned many pieces of high end home audio over the years. Brands like Dali, Audio Research, Krell, Melos, and others. I expect a lot from my gear. In this case, one of the...
About me: I am not an audiology, sound expert or anything professional about audio of short. I am simply just a consumer with a lot of love for musics for years....I purchased this pair, and Would...
Before the Lyr 2 I owned two hybrid headphone amplifiers: the Hifiman EF2A, and the Maverick Audio A1. What both those entry level amplifiers lacked was the power and sonic dynamics to drive my...
I've spent about a month with Cayin N6 DAP, and I'd like to share my thoughts about it. There is few really great reviews of this DAP, so I won't repeat them again, describing it's box,...
Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2post #1 of 78526/4/10 at 4:09pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 78526/4/10 at 4:18pm
Well...of the amps I own, the best was the Leben CS300X. The Leben and the LCD-2 together are HEAVENLY.
Next best was the Meier Concerto - which was also excellent with the LCD-2 (and is solid state, unlike the Leben...and also 1/4 the price of the Leben...)post #3 of 78526/4/10 at 5:25pm
I did most of my listening with an amp that will be coming to market shortly - it is being "unveiled" at canjam. It is the Liquid Fire amp from Cavalli Audio. It is a tube hybrid, high voltage for the tubes to keep them operating at their most linear point, dual 30V rails for the class A Mosfet output stage which allows 42V p-p swing. DC coupled so no caps or transformers n the signal path and a servo which keeps the offset at zero.
It is a wonderfully powerful amp and well worth the audition. Cavalli Audio is also releasing a solid state amp, the "Liquid Gold" which will have similar voltage swing but will be faster.
..dBpost #4 of 78526/4/10 at 5:26pm
I will add more commercial amps as I read through the vast list out there and find amps that I feel would be worth an audition.
well this sounded like an easy task but there are sooooo many amps out there! I guess I have lived a secluded life in DIYland. So I will not be tracking down all the topologies of the commercial offerings as I could spend many hours on this which I have no real interest in for myself. If people have an amp in mind, might I suggest you do the leg work and post a comprehensive overview of what is known about topology and specs and then we can hash out an opinion.
(keeping this to commercial amps as DIY is another ball game )
Edited by dBel84 - 6/5/10 at 10:10ampost #5 of 78526/13/10 at 6:42pm
Can this thread please include prices, so as to maintain a sense of perspective.
I've just had a quick look around, but can not find prices for Mr. Cavalli's Liquid Fire and Liquid Gold amps. Has the price been released?post #6 of 78526/13/10 at 7:02pmQuote:
I believe the Liquid Fire will be priced around $2,000 based on my recollection of speaking with Dr. Cavalli at CanJam, but I can't confirm that. He also seemed interested in following up with people from CanJam as he was making a list of people who auditioned the amp. as well as getting feedback on pricing for the Liquid Fire.
Edited by Ridleyguy - 6/13/10 at 7:12pmpost #7 of 78526/13/10 at 7:44pm
I am using SPL Phonitor amp (pro audio) and playing Dire Straits Brothers In Arms makes it sound like 3D, drums way in front of the head and guitar on the side, just like watching them. I don't know where they were standing at the recording, but it is a new scale of experience compare to other headphones on same setup. Headphone out of my cd player with LCD-2 sounds better then with T1. No previous experience with orthos (that I remember).
Edited by Markj - 6/13/10 at 7:49pmpost #8 of 78526/13/10 at 7:56pmpost #9 of 78526/13/10 at 9:50pmThread Starter
only 360 mA out of 50 Kohm though. I hear you about dire straits have their recordings are phenomenal. Soundstaging out of my Auditor is the best I heard so far too.
Do you find the Phonitor being able to drive the T1 better then the LCD-2?post #10 of 78526/13/10 at 10:29pm
Ridleyguy thank you for the swift answer.
The specification quotes 360 mW into 30 Ohms.
That translates into 216 mW into 50 Ohms.
That translates into approximately 114 dB into a LCD-2.
More than enough.
(Obviously you will ignore the 15W LCD-2 maximum rating, as you surely understand that is the maximum level that the speaker unit will withstand before sustaining physical damage, and hence it has no relevance to human listening levels or actual power requirements for normal listening).post #11 of 78526/14/10 at 1:09amThread Starter
Yes correct at 30 ohms. I am not looking at volume but an amp that can drive the LCD-2s to the max. Would 116mW really be sufficient for a 50 ohm heapdhone? People recommend DIY amps and such which have way more power or to use speaker terminals.post #12 of 78526/14/10 at 2:13amQuote:
That's because a lot of people talk out of their ignorant butts!
Facts are important when it comes to understanding headphone power requirements, so let's consider the facts relating to the LCD-2...
According to the specification published on Audez'e site the LCD-2 headphones have a 50 Ohm impedance and a 91 dB at 1 mW sensitivity.
According to the specification published on SPL's site the Phonitor amplifier has 360 mW into 30 Ohms.
360 mW into 30 Ohms has a voltage swing (supported by sufficient current) that translates into 216 mW into 50 Ohms.
Given the 91 dB at 1 mW rating of the LCD-2, then 216 mW translates into approximately 114 dB.
And now for reasonable supposition... if a user is listening at a typical 80 dB, then 114 dB gives 34 dB of headroom, which should be more than enough for almost anyone.
And now for enthusiastic extremism... if a user is headbanging at 95-100 dB they might conceivably require an occasional peak rock-concert level of 120 dB (which really is head-in-the-speakers loud), in which case an amplifier would have to deliver 1 Watt (i.e. 1000 mW), which on a 50 ohm load is 7.07 V RMS and a peak current of 200 mA.
This all assumes that the impedance curve is flat, however if it undulates then a little more reserve power might be required for some headbangers!
So, in conclusion, the Phonitor should provide more than sufficient volume for most people most of the time, but committed loud rock lovers might desire a touch more.post #13 of 78526/14/10 at 2:17am
I have never heard any ortho headphones, but whenever I have read anuy post about the LCD2 ,I have also read along with it the best amp for it is the liquid gold by Cavalli.post #14 of 78526/14/10 at 5:59amQuote:
Fascinating, since that amp isn't yet available, and almost no one has ever heard one.post #15 of 78526/14/10 at 6:04amThread Starter
the power of unobtanium is strong :)
@Leny I don´t think anyone have ever mentioned that you won´t get ample volume with a phonitor/auditor rather that it may not be able to drive the LCD-2 to the max. As always it can just be bad synergy for a persons ear.
Also specs are often measured at optimal temperatures and such to make it look as good as possible. max output is not always the same as continous output either
- Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 42 seconds ago
- › Any opinions on the Senn HD280PRO vs ATH-M50? 46 seconds ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 1 minute ago
- › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM 2 minutes ago
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the best Bluetooth Headphones -... 2 minutes ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K7xx International Forwarding Service 3 minutes ago
- › Introducing the Aurisonics Auris 4 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Zobel
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluethooth Wireless Headphones by Deckardk
- › JVC KENWOOD In-Ear Headphones HA-FX750 by Whitigir
- › Schiit Lyr 2 by bpandbass
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by cleg
- › OSTRY KC06A Hi-Fi In-Ear High Performance Earphones Headphones by xsuper
- › JVC Kenwood Victer Stereo Headphones Ha-sz1000 by Hawaiibadboy
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by pformagg
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 by Giogio
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-WS99BT Solid Bass Bluetooth Headphones by Giogio
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2