Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Aug 15, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #226 of 1,858
CosmicHolyGhost,

I've got to take a few shots of my portable rig and post them on headfi.  I have something very close to your set-up (AK240, Hugo, Sysconcepts 1300 strand 24/192) but I'm using the Shure SE-846 IEM instead.  I've hear many IEM's some costing much more then the Shure SE-846's.  I was wondering if you had a chance to listen to them and compare to what you have?

Sincerely,
Speed...

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #228 of 1,858
Just a funny side note first...I attended the April 5th audio show on Long Island NY and spend a great deal of time (that day) listening to the AK240, 120 and 100 units.  Then Jude handed me his personal Hugo and said "hey give this a listen".  Well the rest was history for me the Hugo is an amazing piece of portable equipment and it was then I decided to build my portable system around a reference portable DAC...

Regarding the Shure SE-846's I commute to/from work with my SE-846's over 4 hours each day.  I'm up and down multiple flights of subway stairs and I've been using these bad boys since April this year with the stock factory supplied cables.  I must say they are flawless…Specifically, I've never had a single problem, never cut-out, they are really comfortable, and they stay firmly planted in my ears, not heavy or bulky and honestly really sound incredible!!!  The better the source you feed them the better they sound.  

As mentioned I've had the opportunity to have extended listening sessions with many of the top competitors who sell custom IEM's within and above the price range of the SE 846.  The Shure SE-846 is my “top-pick” each and every time, hands-down, over and over again!!! They are amazingly well balanced, very detailed, accurate and dynamic without being colored or bloated.  

Sincerely,
Speed...

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #229 of 1,858
thanks for this Speed as I'm seriously interested personally in the SE846... I'm using Heir 5.0's at the moment and I wanted to give my 3.Ai's a run out but the mini-jack has to be changed to a Neutrik one so it fits into the Hugo ho-hum.

my Sister bought me a new album which was delivered by Amazon today (I'm sneaky I put things in her 'wish list', she's gullible at times)... Steve Wilson(Porcupine Tree) - 'The Raven That Refused To Sing' there's some great fusion-rock tracks and a few eerily Floyd'ish tracks, so far so good and hugely enjoyable out of the Hugo.  

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #230 of 1,858
Dialing-in the "right" sound takes time and a lot of trial and error.  Since I grew up with music (my dad and entire family all playing musical instruments) it can be frustrating to find the "right" equipment and matching.
I've been away from the forum since it was shut down a few weeks ago.  I was wondering about the black portable case for the Hugo.  As I'm a major commuter it may help me at least better protect my investment. I'm not sure if you did or didn't post any pics so please forgive me in advance.
P.S. I have the Fostex 900 mainly for home use and they have a nice musical synergy with the AK240 and the Hugo pairing.  I've also listened to many of the top headphone as well. Rainbow Al and I have been listening to a lot of things together. It help to have other educated ears around you too...

Speed... 

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #233 of 1,858
Hello, my Chord Hugo is coming to the UK next week, should I use it with the Sony Walkman NWZ zx1 and as headphones Audeze Lcd x / xc and Jh Audio jh13, do you think I have problems with the jh of excessive gain?

I doubt if you'll have any problems using your JH13's with the Hugo gain wise, using IEM's out of the Hugo is a joy imo...  you will need the Sony cable to connect to the ZX1 to Hugo, hth.

I can't comment on the Audeze headphones in truth only to say lot's of Head-Fi'ers like the pairing,.. enjoy your Hugo, 
normal_smile .gif

Aug 15, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #234 of 1,858
  today i tried two new setups

setup 1:

-ipod---connected by cck and micro usb cable to hugo----then i connected the hugo to -----fiio e11 and put the fiio on high gain and boosted the bass in fiio e11 ------- all i can say is wow what a warm sound and i am listening to it on my audeze lcd 2 ( note audeze is connected to fiio e11 ) 

second setup 2:

ipod ---- cck and micro usb to fiio e12---- e12---- coaxial to hugo--- audeze  great set up too but i like the warm signature in my set 1   ( in set up up 2 audeze connected to hugo )

i noticed when using set 2 two it does not go to 192/24 bits so this a limitation from fiio e12

so anyone using using coaxial needs to make sure that the transport coaxially supports 192/24 and dsd, cause your transport will feed the hugo so if there is a limitation in your transport to hugo you will not get the bit perfect 

while in set up i am still getting the full range of hugo and i am just boosting and adding amplification to the hugo, and i can add more bass to the hugo so far this is my best set ( setup 1 )

Now what i need to find is a very high end portable amp with great bass boost quality and quantity

Aug 15, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #235 of 1,858
F-four hour commute a day ? Dude, that's Tokyo - I feel for you, speedracer1. I used to get ticked off with an hour each way in Sydney and Brisbane, but I knew there were people who were forced to go further - 2 hours would still be considered a killer commute in Oz. I'm retired now 

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #236 of 1,858
  CosmicHolyGhost,

I've got to take a few shots of my portable rig and post them on headfi.  I have something very close to your set-up (AK240, Hugo, Sysconcepts 1300 strand 24/192) but I'm using the Shure SE-846 IEM instead.  I've hear many IEM's some costing much more then the Shure SE-846's.  I was wondering if you had a chance to listen to them and compare to what you have?

Sincerely,
Speed...

Hey Speed

I have not had a chance to demo the SE846. Sorry....
But your setup can make many headphones/earphones sing!

Cheers...

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #237 of 1,858
I doubt if you'll have any problems using your JH13's with the Hugo gain wise, using IEM's out of the Hugo is a joy imo...  you will need the Sony cable to connect to the ZX1 to Hugo, hth.

I can't comment on the Audeze headphones in truth only to say lot's of Head-Fi'ers like the pairing,.. enjoy your Hugo, 
normal_smile%20.gif

Great!!
I already have a Sony cable, I had taken it for use with the iQube, but it does not work.

So the Chird Hugo is really mute with jh13...no background noise?

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #238 of 1,858

normal_smile%20.gif

I love my Hugo with Audeze LCD-3f :)

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #239 of 1,858
Great!!
I already have a Sony cable, I had taken it for use with the iQube, but it does not work.

I can only comment on my Heir IEM's and can confirm that I have no background noise using the Hugo or ZX1... this should be exactly the same using your JH13's, hth

Aug 16, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #240 of 1,858
Great!!

Yes, no background noise with my jh13fp. Heck there isn't even noise with my more sensitive tg334.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back