Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Aug 14, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #211 of 1,858
I'm sure depending on geography and lifestyle people would have different preferences. For folks in metro Asian cities it would seems we are more looking for a case that protect against wear/tear/scratches when we put the stack inside our man bag/shoulder bag/backpack etc instead of a carry case. Maybe if Chord woull entertain an alternate design/model they can collaborate with Dignis Design in Korea.... (contracted by AK for all it's DAP cases, who also produced high quality leather cases for Sony zx1/pha2, dx50/90, calyx M, fiio x5 etc independently)

http://m.dignis.co.kr/product/list.html?cate_no=54

The Sony PHA2 case is particularly interesting for it is also a dac/amp and the case is designed for stacking with a transport.

Something like this would be perfect, though I still like to see options with high quality leather-hide along with other durable material.

Aug 14, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #212 of 1,858
I'm still being wowed by the SQ of Hugo / IE800...

I simply cannot believe (picking one small aspect) that bass depth / texture is possible from IEMs, and as for overall clarity, not heard better personally... Staggering :)

Aug 14, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #213 of 1,858
guys i need to ask why would u need the Sony PHA2 with hugo what does it add

Aug 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #214 of 1,858
guys i need to ask why would u need the Sony PHA2 with hugo what does it add

Think ppl were only referring to the protection case design. Alternatively and like the clas dB you asked about, the unit has MFI certification so it can take the digital signal out of Apple iDevices and bypass the internal Apple DAC.

Suggest you forum search, there are several list threads going about MFI

Aug 14, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #215 of 1,858
Think ppl were only referring to the protection case design. Alternatively and like the clas dB you asked about, the unit has MFI certification so it can take the digital signal out of Apple iDevices and bypass the internal Apple DAC.

Suggest you forum search, there are several list threads going about MFI

i am totally confused when i connect the iPod to the hugo using the cck and usb cable am I not already bypassing the iPod and using the hugo dac

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #216 of 1,858
ok initial thoughts of my ZX1 with the Hugo... I had problems trying to get the Hugo to respond to the ZX1 which was nothing to do with the devices and more to my inability to consult the manual, so as it dawned on me to read it, I then connected both easily... moral of the story, if all else fails read the instruction manual.

the ZX1 sounds better as a source than using the Hugo via my pc, bear in mind I'm using SonicStage 4.3 & Windows MP so probably not the best programs to use. Everything is crystal clear, a breeze to use and definitely a slight step-up in delivery... there's a couple of downsides using the ZX1, the cables are awkward mainly because Sony cable with its big USB connect(it galls me as Sony get so much right but fall down on the little things like the cable's bulk), the Hugo carry-case assist a bit because you can slot cables behind the elastic straps but its not a real solution as Sony really need to bring out a WM-Port>Mini-USB cable.

Do not expect the same amount of battery life as using the ZX1 on it's own... battery life is seriously downgraded expect 5-6hrs max, I spoke to John Franks about this yesterday & he informed me that the Hugo 'was not' taking  power from the ZX1... so its the same as using the ZX1 with Sony's PHA-2 via usb, battery life is pretty naff so you'll have to plan things if you're travelling but hey it's a good combo sound wise so I'm happy.

I'll try and talk about some albums later using the combo.

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #217 of 1,858
  ok initial thoughts of my ZX1 with the Hugo... I had problems trying to get the Hugo to respond to the ZX1 which was nothing to do with the devices and more to my inability to consult the manual, so as it dawned on me to read it, I then connected both easily... moral of the story, if all else fails read the instruction manual.

the ZX1 sounds better as a source than using the Hugo via my pc, bear in mind I'm using SonicStage 4.3 & Windows MP so probably not the best programs to use. Everything is crystal clear, a breeze to use and definitely a slight step-up in delivery... there's a couple of downsides using the ZX1, the cables are awkward mainly because Sony cable with its big USB connect(it galls me as Sony get so much right but fall down on the little things like the cable's bulk), the Hugo carry-case assist a bit because you can slot cables behind the elastic straps but its not a real solution as Sony really need to bring out a WM-Port>Mini-USB cable.

Do not expect the same amount of battery life as using the ZX1 on it's own... battery life is seriously downgraded expect 5-6hrs max, I spoke to John Franks about this yesterday & he informed me that the Hugo 'was not' taking  power from the ZX1... so its the same as using the ZX1 with Sony's PHA-2 via usb, battery life is pretty naff so you'll have to plan things if you're travelling but hey it's a good combo sound wise so I'm happy.

I'll try and talk about some albums later using the combo.

Yup - I have my ZX1 tied to a PHA-2 and I'm quite unimpressed with how quickly the ZX1 seems to shed battery life - much shorter lifespan than my iPod Classic/ADL X1 combination. I really need to get some figures to back that up and report back - am considering an in-depth comparison between the two rigs purely for my own perverse enjoyment - how many of us thought we would still be using a 'Walkman' and an 'iPod' all these years on ? If you believe the hype from the iPhone camp, we shouldnt need all these other gadgets anyway  :wink:

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #218 of 1,858
I bought a well run in demo Mctinosh D100 DAC home to audition over the weekend. Initial impressions were good then I started to miss the emotional connection of my little friend.... I began to feel like I had cheated on my little mate.

And I started to turn the volume up......

Then I got distracted doing other things. Then my partner came home so...

I subjected both the Hugo and D100 to the "exacting partner test" 

'What's that?' Its a demo bit of gear. 'Why are you getting rid of this one?' - pointing to Hugo, umm well I thought I would try the D100, 'well let me have a listen then', an hour went by with the request three times to swap them over.

Then - 'well forget about this one', it sounds compressed and that Alison Krauss recording, its live right? Yep - 'well that one is no good' - pointing to the D100 'it sounds thick and it can't breath, the Hugo makes her sound real like she's actually in front of me'. 'I can't feel any emotion through the other one. I can hear the resonance of the instruments, its amazing the little one.'

'I love the Hugo you should stick with that.' 'Get rid of that other one it doesn't sound any good.'

Well that's that cleared up then!

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #219 of 1,858
Then I went and bought a NOS metal base Mullard GZ34 on eBay for ridiculous money.........

There's no helping me 
deadhorse.gif

Aug 15, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #220 of 1,858

Yup - I have my ZX1 tied to a PHA-2 and I'm quite unimpressed with how quickly the ZX1 seems to shed battery life -

Yes, I agree, I am also of the opinion that the Sony ZX-1 when digital connection is used, battery life is dismal to say the least, same goes for the PHA-2.

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #221 of 1,858
  Everything is crystal clear, a breeze to use and definitely a slight step-up in delivery... there's a couple of downsides using the ZX1, the cables are awkward mainly because Sony cable with its big USB connect(it galls me as Sony get so much right but fall down on the little things like the cable's bulk), the Hugo carry-case assist a bit because you can slot cables behind the elastic straps but its not a real solution as Sony really need to bring out a WM-Port>Mini-USB cable.

Couldn't agree more, I think its a great source for the Hugo, but the cable is very poor from Sony. Its large and doesn't flex that much, while needing the extra usb cable to actually connect it to the Hugo.

Love the ZX1, but optical out would have been a far better output.

Do you think there is much chance of a bespoke cable being made, as the bulk on the Sony cable seems to imply there are some electronics in the cable too? Not sure.

I'm interested to understand how you have it setup with the Hugo case; any chance of a photo please?

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #222 of 1,858
Are you guys seeing the sort of pronounced battery drain from the ZX1 strapped to the Hugo that OK-Guy, myself and others in the ZX1 thread have identified with the PHA-2 ? Not terrifically happy with this aspect of the DAP/amp pairing. 

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #223 of 1,858
All the pieces matter...

My beat up AK240 toslink out via a Sysconcept 1300-strands 24/192, Toslink Mini 90-deg Precision Premium Cable to our beloved Chord Hugo driving (an 90-degree 2.5mm trrs > 3.5mm trs  adapter) a pair of Tralucent 1Plus2 with uber cable. Portable audio heaven....all the bad influence from the Hong Kong head-fi folks..... LoL
All the work meetings for the rest of the month cancelled! I only wish......haha

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #224 of 1,858

Couldn't agree more, I think its a great source for the Hugo, but the cable is very poor from Sony. Its large and doesn't flex that much, while needing the extra usb cable to actually connect it to the Hugo.

Love the ZX1, but optical out would have been a far better output.

Do you think there is much chance of a bespoke cable being made, as the bulk on the Sony cable seems to imply there are some electronics in the cable too? Not sure.

I'm interested to understand how you have it setup with the Hugo case; any chance of a photo please?

I asked JF if I could take photo's and the answer was 'no' because the new design is due and  doesn't want to confuse things... all is not lost as I will be informed when Chord have the case and I'll get some photo's of how the DAP/Phone slots into the bands... I can see this way of connecting devices being copied as it's such a simple solution.

All the pieces matter...

My beat up AK240 toslink out via a Sysconcept 1300-strands 24/192, Toslink Mini 90-deg Precision Premium Cable to our beloved Chord Hugo driving (an 90-degree 2.5mm trrs > 3.5mm trs  adapter) a pair of Tralucent 1Plus2 with uber cable. Portable audio heaven....all the bad influence from the Hong Kong head-fi folks..... LoL
All the work meetings for the rest of the month cancelled! I only wish......haha

now that cabling looks way worse than my ZX1's... enjoy your set-up Cosmic...
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back