Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 1, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #1,096 of 22,521
 By the way, Rob Watts itself belongs to the people who have the DAVE drive high-efficiency speakers, and he's done this with a Mojo as well. 

Fascinating. I was under the impression that he had done that just to show it was possible, not because it was better then using a real power amplifier. Does Rob have a system that he uses regularly that has a Dave driving speakers? I can see the novelty value of such an experiment, but why would someone who has access to high quality equipment do that? I could walk backwards to work every day, but why should I?

Don't get me wrong, if you genuinely prefer the sound of mojo, Hugo or Dave driving speakers directly, then that is your opinion and you are fully entitled to it. You also save a lot of money on amplification.

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #1,097 of 22,521

By the way, Rob Watts itself belongs to the people who have the DAVE drive high-efficiency speakers, and he's done this with a Mojo as well. 

Fascinating. I was under the impression that he had done that just to show it was possible, not because it was better then using a real power amplifier. Does Rob have a system that he uses regularly that has a Dave driving speakers? I can see the novelty value of such an experiment, but why would someone who has access to high quality equipment do that? I could walk backwards to work every day, but why should I?

Don't get me wrong, if you genuinely prefer the sound of mojo, Hugo or Dave driving speakers directly, then that is your opinion and you are fully entitled to it. You also save a lot of money on amplification.

As far as I know, that's his regular way of listening to music via speakers – but it's been a while since he posted about it. Romaz uses a subwoofer and equalizing for his DAVE-driven (Alnico-)Omega fullrange speakers and thinks it's the best sound he's ever heard (apparently he has no wish to add a power amp, which he could easily afford – at least until Chord launch their announced digital amp promising fully preserved signal integrity, as a revolutionary achievement). That's the main reason for this approach, not the experimental aspect. You seem to forget that even your so-called high-quality equipment (speak power amps) will color the sound and make it less transparent than the direct drive. I can absolutely confirm this, although not with power amps, rather with preamps and headphone amps. Even the best headphone amps I've tried have made the sound less detailed and less transparent compared to the direct connection (to DACs with low output impedance or Chord DAC/amp combos). A preamp in the signal path between CD player and power amp had the same effect compared to a resistor-based attenuator that finally replaced it. An important downside of the achieved transparency is the absolute unforgivingness to tonal flaws in the chain – and that may be the main reason for preferring amps nonetheless.

The DAVE with its higher output power certainly has the better precondition for driving speakers, but I don't doubt that the Hugo² will also offer pleasing results in suitable configurations.

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #1,098 of 22,521

Well,hmmmm...Now, I haven't used this speaker setup as I've just ordered my Omega Alnico CAMs about 3 weeks back, so will it be a huge flop? I don't know yet. However, like Jazz said, several hardcore audiophiles have already been using this exact setup with the DAVE. And yes, going back several years people have used Hugo to drive speakers.

Where full range single driver speakers lose out is having the top rolled, yet it's also debatable whether or not you can hear it anyway, given that the majority of us aren't going to hear 20kHz. So, that said, yes, the bass can be augmented.

Where full range single drivers win out is that they are crossoverless.

It's an experiment. Who knows how it will turn out for me.

Also, consider, from what I gather, Chord is developing a line of amps for Hugo, DAVE, et al, that are designed to merely amplify the signal from their products without adding distortion to what you're getting from the DAC. So, who knows how far reaching this will be for those of us who might want to try multi-way speakers.

From what you've written, though, it seems that you've tried full range single driver speakers and was not impressed?

Mar 1, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #1,099 of 22,521
Well,hmmmm...Now, I haven't used this speaker setup as I've just ordered my Omega Alnico CAMs about 3 weeks back, so will it be a huge flop? I don't know yet. However, like Jazz said, several hardcore audiophiles have already been using this exact setup with the DAVE. And yes, going back several years people have used Hugo to drive speakers.

"I've just ordered my Omega Alnico CAMs about 3 weeks back, so will it be a huge flop?"

It will not be a flop if you like that kind of sound. 

You have put your money where your mouth is and ordered the speakers. Good for you. I hope it works out well. 

Mar 1, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #1,100 of 22,521

"I've just ordered my Omega Alnico CAMs about 3 weeks back, so will it be a huge flop?"

It will not be a flop if you like that kind of sound. 

You have put your money where your mouth is and ordered the speakers. Good for you. I hope it works out well. 

Me too. In the back of my mind, though, I'm keeping the return policy in my back pocket.

My caveat here is that this will be the first speakers I've utilized prior to 1983, when I got my first Sony Walkman. From then on I had been listening the headphones every since. Even confronted with a ton of "great" multi-ways I've heard over the years, and a slew of them since I've taken my audiophile hobby up a few hundred notches, I always stuck with my headphones. For some reason, though, even after buying the Focal Utopias, the headphone experience is losing its luster. Maybe because I feel that I have reached the apex of headphone listening and it doesn't seem as great as I thought it would be. It's like the person you've fantasied making love to, only to get the chance, but the reality was never as good the fantasy. You become a little bummed.

I mean, that's life, right? We're all looking for our next high.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #1,101 of 22,521
Notice to all happy Headfiers! Our first pre-order allocation is sold out on the Hugo 2. We are placing a supplemental order tomorrow. Those of you that would like to pre-order a new Hugo 2, our staff is ready to process your order. Be advised we are only authorized to sell into the US Market.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 1, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #1,102 of 22,521
I've just noticed on the Chord website that Hugo 2 is now available "late March 2017". Last time I looked it was "early 2017". Looks like the UK dealer I preordered from did mean March when he said "end of the month". They say patience is a virtue...

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #1,104 of 22,521
Chord announced last I heard (today) April. That could be US market only

That's what I was told by my dealer, too. Late March might be a little optimistic?

Still, the wait is definitely worth it, I'm sure.

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #1,106 of 22,521
im considering buying a new hugo tomorrow with hugo 2 being out of my budget right now. i need to check one point. if i start with a fully charged hugo then playy and charge for 5-8 hours am i right in saying that due to trickle charging the battery depletion will be extremely small. so in this case i would not need to charge hugo again when i finish listening so i would just plug into charger and continue the next time i want to use it.

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #1,107 of 22,521
im considering buying a new hugo tomorrow with hugo 2 being out of my budget right now. i need to check one point. if i start with a fully charged hugo then playy and charge for 5-8 hours am i right in saying that due to trickle charging the battery depletion will be extremely small. so in this case i would not need to charge hugo again when i finish listening so i would just plug into charger and continue the next time i want to use it.
If it is on the charging supply it will be a very minimal loss of battery power if any

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 2, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #1,108 of 22,521
thanks jason,

would the loss be minimal even if used on high volume for 8 hours say as an example.

also if the battery loss is minimal how many times could you repeat the cycle of listening whilst charging without charging afterwards for next use(assuming you started with a near full battery)// how many of these cycles just described until you have to charge hugo properly using the charger.

i hope that makes sense. cheers mk

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #1,110 of 22,521
hi musicday,  what about the specific points i mention in the 2 posts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back