Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 28, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #1,081 of 22,521
If you mean DSDs, then yes, natively, according to the specs quoted somewhere.  But, if you mean feeding an SACD player into the Hugo2, then I havv no idea.

Due to copyright restrictions, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. So I guess no. You would need to rely on your SACD player's internal DAC.

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #1,083 of 22,521
Does the Dave and Hugo 2 handle DSD differently than the Mojo? It's still never been answered why it's listed as Native DSD for the Hugo 2. I only have one DSD 128 album but am disappointed the Mojo can't decode it from Apple devices. I'm hoping the Hugo 2 will be able to.

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #1,084 of 22,521
Does the Dave and Hugo 2 handle DSD differently than the Mojo? It's still never been answered why it's listed as Native DSD for the Hugo 2. I only have one DSD 128 album but am disappointed the Mojo can't decode it from Apple devices. I'm hoping the Hugo 2 will be able to.

The problem is the Mojo needs DoP to play DSD (DSD over PCM). My X5ii and MacbookPro play DSD just fine to the Mojo using DoP.

Native would refer to sending the DSD bitstream to the Hugo2 directly vs requiring DoP like the Mojo. DoP is the exact same quality as native DSD, but there is a little more CPU overhead when using DoP vs native DSD, which potentially could result in smoother playback with less dropouts with native DSD.

For Apple iOS devices you can use the Onkyo HF Player app which will send DSD out as DoP and this should work fine with the Mojo.

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #1,086 of 22,521

If you mean DSDs, then yes, natively, according to the specs quoted somewhere.  But, if you mean feeding an SACD player into the Hugo2, then I havv no idea.

Due to copyright restrictions, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. So I guess no. You would need to rely on your SACD player's internal DAC.

Not entirely sure about the copyright situation, these days.  I know that PSAudio's new universal disc player can feed a direct SACD signal to the PSA DACs by I2S.  But, IDK if that means things are lightening up with SACDs.
On another note:  I just got a notice that an American company is taking preorders for Hugo2.

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #1,087 of 22,521
Yes, great idea,, they could start by comparing Mojo vs Hugo. I suggest they check them with all permutations, such as PC, Mac, hard drive running, hard drive off, solid state hard drive, dedicated music server from brand a, b, c...z, DAP from brand X, Y and Z, cable from various manufacturers, extra power supply from brand a, b or c, data purifiers and reclockers, singly and daisy chained, jitterbug, etc. etc. Who knows, the Mojo might even sound better than Hugo in 5% of the permutations while Hugo sounds better, in different ways in the other 95%... 

Once that is finished check the others. Once that is finished your conclusions will be useless since by then the products will be obsolete

Seriously, I would check these things myself in my own system and that would be useful to me. How they compare in someone else's setup isn't really going to help me a whole lot. 

This reminds me of a magazine review of a certain obscure amplifier. According to the reviewer it generally sounded average and was overpriced (of course he said this in a very polite and obscure way since this was a mainstream magazine that relies on advertising), but when you use a certain turntable with a certain tonearm and a certain cartridge that was adjusted just so and a particular phono preamplifier, then the thing was worthy of recommendation... Completely useless information...  

Ok :)

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #1,088 of 22,521

Why is it masochistic to enjoy music as lifelike and transparent as it gets! Yes, you sacrifice some dynamic headroom, but if you can live with that? From an opposite perspective one could call an approach using renounceable electronics components with their inherent signal corruption masochistic as well.

However, to each his and her own! If I were still into speakers, personally I would shy away from high-efficiency speakers, be it with horns or fullrange drivers. But that's just me.

If you call music with limited dynamics, no bass control and suffering from the kind of honky coloration symptomatic of many high-efficiency speakers lifelike, then I humbly beg to disagree. It might at some level at some part of the audio spectrum sound transparent, but lifelike it ain't.

I am sure some people find a 1 watt amp driving high efficiency speakers pleasing to listen to. I am not one of them.

If Chord decide to produce a DAC that can drive speakers directly, then rest assured that it will in fact be able to drive speakers directly and it will have more than 1 watt.

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #1,089 of 22,521

If you call music with limited dynamics, no bass control and suffering from the kind of honky coloration symptomatic of many high-efficiency speakers lifelike, then I humbly beg to disagree. It might at some level at some part of the audio spectrum sound transparent, but lifelike it ain't.

I am sure some people find a 1 watt amp driving high efficiency speakers pleasing to listen to. I am not one of them.

If Chord decide to produce a DAC that can drive speakers directly, then rest assured that it will in fact be able to drive speakers directly and it will have more than 1 watt.

You mean, like the DAVE? Well, let's see; I'm a little fuzzy on the math. Rob Watts has stated, if not mistaken that the DAVE's RCA output is actually 6.7vRMS before it clips, which would be +4db on the volume knob. Anything above these values DAVE clips, as it also has a short circuit protected.

So, is this the true figures taken from the Chord site?

Headphone Output:
1% THD 6.8v RMS with 300Ω (154mW)
1% THD 6.8v RMS with 33Ω (1.4w)

Now, volts RMS is tricky, right? Or not? With a simple voltage to watts calculator given the volts 6.7 + amps 0.5 = watts 3.35 WPC.

But that's not it, is it?

What does add up, however, is this nifty calculator, because if you plug in the number 1% THD 6.8v RMS with 300Ω (154mW) you get the exact numbers that Chord specifies:

Now, let's not clip this puppy, so let's go 6.7vRMS max, into a 8ohm speakers, and it looks like this, yes?

Now, am I reading this wrong?

http://www.random-science-tools.com/electronics/dBm-Watts-volts.htm

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #1,090 of 22,521
One month of nonsense.

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #1,091 of 22,521
Hi, given the change of the digital input from Hugo to Hugo 2 from Cinch to 3.5 mm, I will need another adapter to connect. I wish to continue using the same digital cable (75 Ω BNC-BNC)
Before I was using a BNC female to Cinch adapter.
For Hugo2, I will need a BNC female to 3.5 mm adapter.
Any recommendations? Is there anything fancy, or would a random adapter suffice? Or will this be supplied with Hugo2?

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #1,092 of 22,521

Why is it masochistic to enjoy music as lifelike and transparent as it gets! Yes, you sacrifice some dynamic headroom, but if you can live with that? From an opposite perspective one could call an approach using renounceable electronics components with their inherent signal corruption masochistic as well.

However, to each his and her own! If I were still into speakers, personally I would shy away from high-efficiency speakers, be it with horns or fullrange drivers. But that's just me.

I wasn't talking of limited dynamics, but limited dynamic headroom, that's simply limited loudness. Dynamics are usually a forte of fullrange speakers. No bass control? An amp doesn't «control» membrane movement, it just sends the signal to the voice-coil; at best a low output impedance makes for a damping of the fundamental resonance (→ back EMF), which is the case with Chord DACs. Moreover, some people (e.g. Romaz) add an active subwoofer, which will increase the dynamic headroom. By the way, Rob Watts itself belongs to the people who have the DAVE drive high-efficiency speakers, and he's done this with a Mojo as well. Colorations? Yes – and that's the reason why I wouldn't consider fullrange speakers for myself. However, you can still equalize – Romaz does it. In any event: Renouncing an amplification stage will in fact pay off in the form of increased transparency.

To each his own, no? I fully understand people who ask themselves if the Hugo² will be able to drive efficient speakers. That's an interesting alternative to the common Head-Fi approach of overrating amps – even reamplifying the Hugos' or Mojos' output signal. You may know that Chord DAC/amp combos renounce a headphone amp in the awareness that every amplification stage you can renounce increases transparency. At the same time it's clear that the direct drive of speakers isn't for everyone. That said, until some time ago I had the headphone output of my TV drive a pair of small (not extremely sensitive) fullrange speakers. In terms of achievable loudness I could get along quite well (for watching TV), but of course the quality was nowhere near that of a Hugo or DAVE, not to speak of output power and impedance.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #1,093 of 22,521
Maybe grado will sell you guys a pair of those speakers made out of a huge series of rs1 drivers.
gl_myspace2209-2_f.png

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #1,094 of 22,521
Hey, they could indeed work with a Hugo²!
smile.gif
How is their sensitivity? Another question is: How do they sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back