CD3000 gone woody... pics
Apr 25, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #61 of 316
I SOLD THOSE CD3000s TO HIM!!!! W00T!!!

In all seriousness, they look amazing...he mentioned "modding them" when he got 'em from me, but I had no idea he'd do THIS! KUDOS!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #63 of 316
Very nice work indeed. Congratulation.

Different wood type, different sound. How do you describe the sound of your specific wood type in terms of coloration?

Apr 25, 2004 at 6:29 PM Post #64 of 316
very nice work... I love the look and think that the two tone suprise was a good one...
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #66 of 316
Well stunning job, I want this in mine, even when i love mine the way they are, just let us know if you are planning to made this for sell, you could begin to get some serious income out of this mod.....
Now, for the cable tweaker, please I would like to know which cable are you using for the replacement, I was thinking in the Canare Star quad, but it is a little heavy, though very flexable...and I have never seen the mini version...any suggestion here, now i have two pairs of CD3000, so modding one should be nice to compare both after......

BTW and FYI the original cups are not cheap plastic as many had stated, they are indeed made of an expensive "organic composite" according to Sony...LOL... sound quality apart of course.....

BTW, the new ones I got were a brand new batch, just imported, fresh made and targeted for the American market, with all the manuals and warranty card, in English, so the rumor of that they will be discontinued is everyday more and more in the dark......

Apr 25, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #67 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
now i have two pairs of CD3000, so modding one should be nice to compare both after......

Soon,Sovkiller will beat Robythecat with 50+ paires of CD3000
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 25, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #68 of 316
Nah, no more than two, and evne though probably i will sell one later on, let's see, if the shoe hurts......bye-bye!!!!

Apr 26, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #69 of 316
As has been noted, thats a simply superb job you did with the wood mod. I agree with Sovkiller, you should offer this as a "for profit" service to those of us who own CD3000's and would like to have ours modded.
How much of that wood do you have left???

JC

Apr 26, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #72 of 316
So the wood offers a better damping
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Ok I was thinking then in using Dynamat now, IMO is a little bit more easy to work with that, that to go for a whole capital replacement of the cup, does anybody had tried Dynamat???? Of course look apart, and my hats off to xanadu.....

Apr 26, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #73 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
So the wood offers a better damping

Well, in a way I guess, or you could say it emphasises frequencies that to me, sound like just what these cans needed. From the hardwood website on the characteristics of this wood...

"Emphasis in the mid-bass, upper-treble, and top octave, however bass presence is more pronounced than Hard maple."

The best way I can describe this new wood cup synergy is "tube" sounding. Without any normal damping, the cans have a better soundstage compared to more normal left, middle, right. Resonance air fills the gaps and it is sweet.

Now if you can find a damping that does the same thing, you have something. Today I was thinking about wood chips or sawdust of the same or similiar wood as a possible dampening material but you wouldn't have the total "air" or reinforcement of wood cups only.

I'll probably make a few more pairs of these cups out of some different wood types and some of the same wood for those that have been curious. Should be slightly easier on following builds.

Apr 27, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #75 of 316
That is good to know that a better damping improves the sound, now our question is, to the difect of those nice woody cups, does anybody had tried any other type of damping, more workable and not so complicated, like adding any better damping material than the foam they have inside???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back