Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Feb 1, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #1,771 of 1,873
I've mentioned my displeasure of their use of Comic Cans several times on this forum, now the screen mocks me..

Edit: video for anyone interested.
https://streamable.com/bpbg2w
Does anyone know a solution? I can’t even enter factory reset mode lol.

Edit 2: So it fixed itself overnight.. I am perplexed.

Glad the problem is resolved overnight. Android memory management can get itself into trouble occasionally.

Just in case anyone runs into a similar problem and needs a final trick to get out of the boot loop, you can perform Factory Reset and Double Wipe to reset the player to the original (system initialization) condition. This should recover all software crashes, but you need to reinstall all the third-party applications and copy all your music files back to internal storage.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 1, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #1,772 of 1,873
Looks like the BLCK and/or MCLK of N7 and Wandla are not compatible, so they only work on one particular instance but not the others. Is there any setting related to these parameters in the Wandla menu?
There are only these, but I don’t think they’re relevant. From what I know Wandla has the most popular pinout used by most ddc’s like singxers. Contacted ferrum as well, but yet to get an answer. Would be so cool to use N7 portably and as a transport for desktop use

Attachments

• IMG_2017.jpeg
    IMG_2017.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2018.jpeg
    IMG_2018.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Feb 1, 2024 at 2:23 AM Post #1,773 of 1,873
There are only these, but I don’t think they’re relevant. From what I know Wandla has the most popular pinout used by most ddc’s like singxers. Contacted ferrum as well, but yet to get an answer. Would be so cool to use N7 portably and as a transport for desktop use
DAP I2S (Mini-HDMI) Pin Out Diagram.jpg

This is the pin out of N7 I2S, maybe you can check with Ferrum whether this is compatible with their I2S input?

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #1,774 of 1,873
1706773657955.png

The Chinese New Year is arriving and we are all eagerly looking forward to the holidays. The Cayin team will perform a thorough cleaning up of our manufacturing facility on 3rd February, and our Zhuhai facility will be closed from 4th February to 18th February.

To a lot of workers and staff in Cayin who have family outside the Guangdong Province, this is their only occasion to reunite with their family and friends after a long year of hard work. We shall resume our office on 19th February Monday.

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #1,775 of 1,873
I'm having an issue using the N7 as a DAC with my MacBook M2 pro. The MacBook initially sees the N7 but constantly drops the connection. The Mac is running Sonoma 4.3 but I had similar issues on earlier versions of OSX. From experience it seems that the N7 (and the N8 I had before) really don't play nicely with Mac's. Anyone else had similar experiences?

Feb 12, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #1,776 of 1,873
@Andykong
Could you provide information about the optional Cayin CS-30TCR 24K Gold USB-Cinch cable?
If connected to some DAC with Coax input, will USB signal be translated into SPDIF protocol?
Any advantages compared to using USB-C like reduced jitter besides the known restrictions of maximum bandwidth of 24/192khz?

Feb 15, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #1,777 of 1,873
Hello all,

I just picked up a C9 to pair with my N7 last night, and spent about 30 minutes listening in class A solid state. I thought I would share my initial impressions.

First off the bat, the sounds opened up and became more natural, and voicing became more precise and emotional. The sound stage clearly expanded in all 3 dimensions, maybe 20%. It reminds me of staging speakers and when done right they disappear, the same sensation happens with the IEMs.

But what impressed me most was the density, dynamics, and force of the musical objects. It was easier to localize instruments and sense them in 3 dimensions, and they conveyed energy and presence which shocked me. Rock had slam, classical instruments location in terms of depth became more obvious, and all of this combined to create a blissful musical layering. I could hear and feel instruments that were lost in the sound before, now they call out in their own space.

I really love the N7 by itself, but with the C9 I was stunned. It made the music sound more like a live event and was a significant step up in performance. Issues I thought were due to the Mest went away, now I realize the amplification chain can push an IEM to a higher level and unlock its potential.

I have more time to listen and try various settings, but I must say, the C9 felt perfect to me on a first listen.

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #1,778 of 1,873
@Andykong
Could you provide information about the optional Cayin CS-30TCR 24K Gold USB-Cinch cable?
If connected to some DAC with Coax input, will USB signal be translated into SPDIF protocol?
Any advantages compared to using USB-C like reduced jitter besides the known restrictions of maximum bandwidth of 24/192khz?
Yes and No.

If you connect the N7 to an external DAC with Coax input, the CS-30TCR cable will do just that, but we didn't translate the USB Audio signal into S/PDIF, we embedded the original S/PDIF bitstream into the A8/B8 pin of USB-C connector, these pins are designed for sideband use. The CS-30TCR and CS-40TCR35 adapter cable will read the bitstream from these pins and output them directly, without any transcoding or conversion.

1708670365837.png

Feb 23, 2024 at 2:26 AM Post #1,779 of 1,873
Hello all,

I just picked up a C9 to pair with my N7 last night, and spent about 30 minutes listening in class A solid state. I thought I would share my initial impressions.

First off the bat, the sounds opened up and became more natural, and voicing became more precise and emotional. The sound stage clearly expanded in all 3 dimensions, maybe 20%. It reminds me of staging speakers and when done right they disappear, the same sensation happens with the IEMs.

But what impressed me most was the density, dynamics, and force of the musical objects. It was easier to localize instruments and sense them in 3 dimensions, and they conveyed energy and presence which shocked me. Rock had slam, classical instruments location in terms of depth became more obvious, and all of this combined to create a blissful musical layering. I could hear and feel instruments that were lost in the sound before, now they call out in their own space.

I really love the N7 by itself, but with the C9 I was stunned. It made the music sound more like a live event and was a significant step up in performance. Issues I thought were due to the Mest went away, now I realize the amplification chain can push an IEM to a higher level and unlock its potential.

I have more time to listen and try various settings, but I must say, the C9 felt perfect to me on a first listen.

While C9 is a very high-power portable headphone amplifier and a lot of users are buying it for demanding IEMs and headphones, it has its magic with sensitive IEM too, we have discussed this in detail HERE.

On the other hand, when we fine-tune the performance of N7, the Line Out and Pre Out circuits are developed, inevitably, with C9 as the reference amplifier. That explained why N7 and C9 are considered perfect match by a lot of users.

Feb 23, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #1,780 of 1,873
While C9 is a very high-power portable headphone amplifier and a lot of users are buying it for demanding IEMs and headphones, it has its magic with sensitive IEM too, we have discussed this in detail HERE.

On the other hand, when we fine-tune the performance of N7, the Line Out and Pre Out circuits are developed, inevitably, with C9 as the reference amplifier. That explained why N7 and C9 are considered perfect match by a lot of users.
Thank you Andy!

I do agree the N7 and C9 make a perfect match. I’ve since explored the various amplification types and can report the following:

Class A tube: this setting works magic for voice music where there is a central vocal point like a singer. The tube makes the voices sound round and as if they aren’t just singing, but to me so to speak. The tempo slows down ever so slightly making it musical. There is this intangible and hard to describe emotional connection it creates that I have only heard in the best two channel systems. The sound is deeply engaging.

Class A solid state - I love this for classical music. The stage becomes wider laterally and the wings of the soundstage have more force. Instruments have body and force and the stage is deep and layered. I can hear the inside of horns, the texture of strings, and the shock of bass drums. The sound is beautiful.

Class AB - the formula for rock. The soundstage seems to get bigger, bass tightens up and the music is dynamic, fast, and has great slam. There is still a ton of detail. The sound is exciting and powerful.

AB tube: I’m not sure what this is best for!

Anyway thank you to the Cayin engineers who create such a marvel that reveals the music.

Feb 29, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #1,782 of 1,873
Just joined the family
20240229_125840~2.jpg

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #1,784 of 1,873
Excuse me, but has anyone had a chance to compare N7 with Sony nw-wm1am2? (Played from Qobuz and Tidel streaming services)
I think N7 is great for streaming TIDAL, I tried both, I think N7 is a more mature player overall, Sony has no line/pre-out and can't push a lot of IEMS that need more power so a big minus IMO. I like the sound of N7 more overall, I'd dare say sony is one class below N7... that's my 2cents.

Mar 1, 2024 at 6:11 AM Post #1,785 of 1,873
I think N7 is great for streaming TIDAL, I tried both, I think N7 is a more mature player overall, Sony has no line/pre-out and can't push a lot of IEMS that need more power so a big minus IMO. I like the sound of N7 more overall, I'd dare say sony is one class below N7... that's my 2cents.
Thank you for your opinion.
In fact, without waiting for an answer, I have already made my choice.
I bought Cayin N7 five days ago, but I still haven't unpacked it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back