Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Dec 22, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #1,741 of 1,901
Hi all,

Been using the Cayin N7 for close to four months now, mainly streaming from YouTube Music and Apple Music (sometimes Hi-Res Lossless) to 64 Audio Tia Fourte and Sennheiser IE900. I still cannot differentiate between DSD64/128/256/512. Am I using this device correctly? Or am I better off streaming from Tidal or Qobuz? Or perhaps buy/download hi-res files to MicroSD, then play it on the Hiby/Cayin music player? I am trying to make use of the full capacity of the DAP.

Also, do I have much to gain if connecting the Cayin N7 to Cayin C9 for listening to IEMs? Or am I better off using Mass Kobo or Brise Tsu? Thanks.

Do you have one or two albums that you immensely enjoyed? If they are available as Hi-Res files, why not pay a small premium to buy the Hi-Res PCM or DSD files, store them in the internal memory of your N7, and make them available through your N7 even when the N7 is out of Internet connection. 7digital, HDtracks, NativeDSD, Qobuz, Bandcamp, LINN Records, and HighResAudio are the top places, Sony has also offered some suggestions to acquire DSD format audio files.

Yes, Hi-Res audio files offer a better audition experience when compared to compressed/lossy music from YouTube, Spotify, and Apple Music.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 22, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #1,742 of 1,901
Do you have one or two albums that you immensely enjoyed? If they are available as Hi-Res files, why not pay a small premium to buy the Hi-Res PCM or DSD files, store them in the internal memory of your N7, and make them available through your N7 even when the N7 is out of Internet connection. 7digital, HDtracks, NativeDSD, Qobuz, Bandcamp, LINN Records, and HighResAudio are the top places, Sony has also offered some suggestions to acquire DSD format audio files.

Yes, Hi-Res audio files offer a better audition experience when compared to compressed/lossy music from YouTube, Spotify, and Apple Music.
Thanks - I didn’t expect a direct response, so it is very much appreciated.

I have been thinking about getting a few albums to store offline in a micro SD for a start, played via Hiby / Cayin music app.

If an album is offered in 96/44.1 or high res vs DSD vs MQA, which one should I download for the benefit of the N7? Thanks!
Cheers !!!

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #1,743 of 1,901
Thanks - I didn’t expect a direct response, so it is very much appreciated.

I have been thinking about getting a few albums to store offline in a micro SD for a start, played via Hiby / Cayin music app.

If an album is offered in 96/44.1 or high res vs DSD vs MQA, which one should I download for the benefit of the N7? Thanks!
Cheers !!!

If there is a DSD version available, it will be the best format for N7.
If you have multiple playback devices to deal with, 24Bit 192kHz (or 176.4kHz) will be the most versatile format. 24Bbit 96kHz (or 88.2kHz) is a step down from that, and is consider high quality audio format as well.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 27, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #1,744 of 1,901
Hello friends, I hope you're enjoying your music! I am looking to part ways with my N7+C9 combo. If anyone is interested, please send me a PM. Thanks so much!

Dec 27, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #1,746 of 1,901
Can I ask why? Have you found something more satisfying, perhaps in one package? Or you don't like the single and combo sound..
I’ve tried other options also, I’ve had the Kann Ultra on trial to try alongside my c9 with the intention of replacing the N7 if I enjoyed it more. This hasn’t been the case however, the N7’s sound is much more competent to my ears and is quite special when compared to most other DACs I’ve heard.

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #1,748 of 1,901
Question. Why does Cayin recommend using N7 in pre-out instead of line-out with C9?

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #1,749 of 1,901
Question. Why does Cayin recommend using N7 in pre-out instead of line-out with C9?

Connecting N7 to C9 in PRE mode, the overall sound signature lean towards N7s DAC tonality and ability to control harder to drive IEM/headphones since C9 is operated at full power. Connecting via LO mode, the overall sound signature leans C9 and blacker background.

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #1,750 of 1,901
Connecting N7 to C9 in PRE mode, the overall sound signature lean towards N7s DAC tonality and ability to control harder to drive IEM/headphones since C9 is operated at full power. Connecting via LO mode, the overall sound signature leans C9 and blacker background.
Ok.. Does the source have to be designed to run Pre-out? Like can I run my SR35 (line out toggled on) to C9 ( pre-input)?

Dec 27, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #1,751 of 1,901
Ok.. Does the source have to be designed to run Pre-out? Like can I run my SR35 (line out toggled on) to C9 ( pre-input)?

Ideally your DAP is designed to run Pre/LO and DAPs with Pre are pretty rare.

Not familiar with SR35 phone and LO output specs, but here's info on C9 PRE/LO modes and you'll also want to take some precautions in testing which is also covered in this post:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...portable-headamp.943135/page-61#post-16164731
  1. Line output from DAP or desktop DAC: use LINE input mode of C9, this is the default setting to use C9;
  2. Pre-amp output from DAP, DAC and Pre-amplifier: use PRE-amp input mode of C9; this is an alternative setting to use C9;
  3. Phone output if your DAP don't have line out option: use PRE-amp input mode of C9. It might or might not work, depends on the level of current gain, but worth trying because you don't have other options;
  4. Pseudo Line out or Line out mode: try both line out mode to C9 LINE input and phone out to C9 PRE-amp input;
  5. Variable Line Out: use LINE input mode of C9 with digital volume set to maximum or maintain at a higher level.
  6. Pseudo Pre-amp Output or Pre-amp mode: similar to (4), try both line out to C9 LINE input and Pre-amp mode to C9 PRE-amp input, theoretically, LINE out option is the default C9 setting and it should be superior

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #1,752 of 1,901
Hello, my N7 seems to have an issue which it is stayed on BAL forever, like the logo on the top bar never disappear even if I unplug everything.
So if I try to play using the SE, there will be a loud pop sound..

Jan 1, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #1,753 of 1,901
20240101_163800.jpg

Jan 1, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #1,754 of 1,901
Hi guys !
Should it get so hot? This is fine ?

Jan 1, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #1,755 of 1,901
Hi guys !
Should it get so hot? This is fine ?
Just search for the keyword "hot" in this thread and you know it's normal 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back