Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Apr 13, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #406 of 635
Like everybody else is saying, the N3U is an excellent sounding DAP. The Android 8 is really bare bones. I thought there would be a battery saver / health setting, but none to be found. I found that even though the pulsar light at the Home button can be turned off in the Display settings, it does not save permanently. On next startup the pulsar light is reenabled, you have to go back to the Display setting and turn it off each time. For those people like myself that need to have 'stealth' mode it would be convenient to have the pulsar light config setting saved between power cycles. Even though @Andykong doesn't reply to all messages, I hope he is reading them all and taking notes to pass back to Cayin engineering.

Confirmed this is a bug, and will rectify it in the next firmware.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 13, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #407 of 635
Confirmed this is a bug, and will rectify it in the next firmware.
Nice to see that you're actively gathering bugs and feature requests, Andy!

I have two requests myself.
  1. Concerning the pulsar light, besides just toggling it on or off, I would appreciate a brightness setting. I like the light, but the standard setting is just too bright for me at night.
  2. On the Now Playing screen you can swipe between album art, lyrics, and file info. I would like it if the order of these screens could be configured. I never use lyrics, but I look at the file properties often, so I always have to do an extra swipe to go past the (empty) lyrics screen.
I got my N3 Ultra earlier this week and am finally spending some serious time with it this weekend. Have to say, I'm enjoying it a lot! Coming from my Hiby R3 Pro Saber, the music sounds so much fuller, richer, and still clear.

I sometimes wonder if some of my pricier IEMs were actually worth it, but with this source I'm really starting to appreciate them. Haven't heard my Moondrop Variations sound so nice before. Currently listening to the iBasso IT05, that I bought a couple of weeks ago. So far, I found them a little thin, harsh even, but not with the N3Ultra. Perfectly sweet, now!

Apr 13, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #408 of 635
I like the N3U a lot. Not only it sounds great, but it's also not exorbitant to the point that I'm afraid to use it. Very good balance, well done.
One improvement I'd like to see, when trying to deactivate the EQ, the ON/OFF slider in the upper right corner is too close to the area that activates the pull down menu, so quite often that gets activated rather than the slider. Maybe the slider could be moved or increased in size. Otherwise, I find the EQ, esp the parametric one, very useful. I just have problems deactivating it when no longer needed :)
Like with others, some thumbnails are not displayed when looking at the album, but are ok when playing the song.

And one question, I managed to use it as a USB DAC with my laptop, but with the android phone doesn't seem to work. Is this behaviour normal or am I doing something wrong?!

Apr 13, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #409 of 635
I got my N3 ultra . I bought it from authorized distributor in my country. There are few issues of my N3 ultra.
- the light leaks on the right edge of screen (just one side). The seller also checked 5 units in their stocks. They're all the same issues.
- the problem with the glue for battery. There didn't seem to be enough adhesive. the cell on the back loosing and flopping around while shaking.

I‘m curious about the QC for the 1st lot of N3 ultra.
Quite disappointed.

Attachments

• IMG_2180.jpeg
    IMG_2180.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 0
Apr 13, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #410 of 635
I got my N3 ultra . I bought it from authorized distributor in my country. There are few issues of my N3 ultra.
- the light leaks on the right edge of screen (just one side). The seller also checked 5 units in their stocks. They're all the same issues.
- the problem with the glue for battery. There didn't seem to be enough adhesive. the cell on the back loosing and flopping around while shaking.

I‘m curious about the QC for the 1st lot of N3 ultra.
Quite disappointed.
Yikes Is this going to be a warrantied issue for units that are effected @Andykong what would Cayin do in this case?

Apr 13, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #412 of 635
Apr 13, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #414 of 635
Apr 13, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #415 of 635
@Andykong, I have another request if possible. Please have the engineering team add an Android widget / app to activate the on screen volume control (as shown when the volume control knob is turned). So why is this important you might ask. Good question. 2 fold, for users who want to use an on screen volume control with out touching the volume knob and more importantly as a backup in case the volume knob is broken / no longer responds then we have a way to still control the volume via the on screen control. That is smart engineering and will go a long way when that unfortunate time may come when the volume knob stops working.

Apr 13, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #416 of 635
I don't have one either.
I did notice the light leak, but wasn't so bothered. I remember some mobile phones/tablets had this problem in the past and it wasn't so bad. It'd still be nice to get some reassurance from the company though.
I bought it for music, so if this problem does not progress further, I can live with it.
Nothing is rattling inside, but I also don't shake it much, quite the opposite.
20240413_221303.jpg

Apr 13, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #417 of 635
I received my N3U last night and just started using it today. Overall, I'm quite happy with it so far. I do have a few suggestions.
  1. There isn't a fast way to scroll through the Folders list as there is for Artists. I only use Folder list so my thumb gets a good workout when I listen to ZZ Top.
  2. As mentioned by another member, please add the Android battery management if possible.
  3. Manual is silver/grey text on a black background. It's really difficult to read! Yeah, that's pretty picky on my part.

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:28 AM Post #419 of 635
Has anyone done a direct comparison with the n3 pro?
Assuming they use the same tubes, how much difference is there in the sound?
I'm very tempted by this device but I'm undecided because I already have an n3 pro...
I'm curious about the volume wheel on this new model. The one on my n3 Pro is an inconsistent mess and has been that way for a few years now and is the main reason I am holding back on the n3 Ultra

Apr 14, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #420 of 635
I'm curious about the volume wheel on this new model. The one on my n3 Pro is an inconsistent mess and has been that way for a few years now and is the main reason I am holding back on the n3 Ultra
Now they have moved the power on button off the wheel to the top on the N3Ultra the wheel is much more stable and smoother in function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back