Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Apr 15, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #437 of 637
I just found out that we have oversimplified the UI design, will rectify this silly mistake in the next firmware.

Go to the standard EQ function, select SAVE, Select Add, and the following Add New EQ screen will pop up.

1712989657207.png

First of all, there is a classic White text on the White dialog box bug in this screen and we'll rectify it in the next firmware, there are two white dialog boxes at the bottom of the screen, the right box is SAVE, and the left box is Cancel. Immediately above the dialog box, there is a check box "Save to Server", Unceck the box, and the EQ setting will save in N3Ultra locally, and this setting will affect both standard EQ and PEQ.

Obviously, this is a stupid design, so I'll make sure we change it to something more logical and reasonable. :pray: :pray:
This was extremely helpful... thanks!

Apr 15, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #438 of 637
The unit features a USB DAC mode. This feature permits use of a mobile device via an OTG USB C cable.

Attachments

• IMG_0449.jpeg
    IMG_0449.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9115.jpeg
    IMG_9115.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 15, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #439 of 637
It has a 10 band PEQ (Gain/Q/Frequency) with the option of peak, and low/high shelf and a 10 band graphical EQ. You can use both at the same time.
Thank you! I give this a high score and another vote for the N3U to continue being a candidate...let's see when it enters my country. 🧐

I really enjoy equalizing and I've always been good at it; however, using the combination: HiBy R3 II + NEO 5 + ISN CS02 cable, without EQ or MSEB, the set boasts a surprising tonal balance, or highly musical, within its corresponding price-value range, of course.

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #441 of 637
Strange. I can only get it to work as a USB DAC with my laptop, not with my mobile devices. All it does is to charge my tablet/phone regardless which of the USB options I select. Any ideas?

For some reason, your mobile device does not recognize the USB Audio option of N3Ultra, maybe there is a USB setting in your mobile device, but you can set the N3Ultra USB input to Audio only, and see if this will help your mobile device to detect the DAP correctly.

At the desktop, select System Setting, then select USB, Default USB configuration, and set the default to USB In (no USB power) when you connect N3Ultra to a mobile phone.

Screenshot_19700204-142405.png

N3U Menu USB Default.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 16, 2024 at 5:25 AM Post #442 of 637
how hot are these vents ? if I put it in my pocket, can my pants catch fire ? :)
Image_20240302082827-picsay.jpg

As explained previously, the glowing effect in N3Ultra is not tube glowing, those are LED backlights. we use the JAN6418 as a very low gain voltage amplifier in timbre circuit, that will offer low heat low distortion, and a long life duration advantages while we receive attractive vacuum tube timbre during playback.

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:12 AM Post #443 of 637
For some reason, your mobile device does not recognize the USB Audio option of N3Ultra, maybe there is a USB setting in your mobile device, but you can set the N3Ultra USB input to Audio only, and see if this will help your mobile device to detect the DAP correctly.
Interesting development: it works, but only if I restart the N3U after I've connected it to the iPad. Then it opens in USB DAC mode directly. Not ideal, but I can certainly live with it.
Will try the same with an android device, maybe it'll be the same.
With a laptop it switches to DAC mode as soon as I connect it.

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #445 of 637
Currawong raised a very good point.

The Album art is properly displayed at normal playback but fails at the thumbnail, implying the music scan process fails to generate the thumbnail for these album arts. Cayin Music Player has an upper-resolution limit of 1000x1000 for album art, @alwass89 can you check the dimensions of the embedded album art?
Hi @Andykong, Artwork is 600x600, but it appears to be a .png file. I do see other thumbnails that are also 600x600 .png showing correctly, so not sure why some are working and other's aren't.

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #446 of 637
Hi @Andykong, Artwork is 600x600, but it appears to be a .png file. I do see other thumbnails that are also 600x600 .png showing correctly, so not sure why some are working and other's aren't.

I know you've been bombarded with requests @Andykong , but is there any chance the upper resolution limit can be increased beyond 1000x1000? That seems like a better solution than going through 20,000 files to verify/change embedded artwork to not exceed upper limit. Speaking of which, do you know if the music app is able to identify and use artwork picture files placed in album folders, or must the artwork be embedded in the file?

Apr 16, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #447 of 637
I know you've been bombarded with requests @Andykong , but is there any chance the upper resolution limit can be increased beyond 1000x1000? That seems like a better solution than going through 20,000 files to verify/change embedded artwork to not exceed upper limit. Speaking of which, do you know if the music app is able to identify and use artwork picture files placed in album folders, or must the artwork be embedded in the file?
MP3tag will batch adjust the embedded cover art of your entire SD card. You need to install and point the app to your music files then start an action > quick action> adjust cover

Apr 16, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #448 of 637
MP3tag will batch adjust the embedded cover art of your entire SD card. You need to install and point the app to your music files then start an action > quick action> adjust cover
Thanks for the tip! I already use mp3tag for file management so I will give it a try!

Apr 17, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #449 of 637
Thanks! Do you know what are the requirements for the cover art to be recognized by the N3U? I've already tried with .jpg max 1000 and it didn't seem to do the trick. I'll experiment some more, but I could also use some guidance 😉

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #450 of 637
Thanks! Do you know what are the requirements for the cover art to be recognized by the N3U? I've already tried with .jpg max 1000 and it didn't seem to do the trick. I'll experiment some more, but I could also use some guidance 😉
If you could, identify the albums that can't display the thumbnail correctly, extract the album art as-is, post the photo here and let us try to embedd it into any album in our library and test whether you can display the album art I our thumbnail pages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back