Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Aug 12, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #991 of 3,742
Andy—this may or may not have anything to do with the problem, but I thought I would mention that in the past, I've seen different DAPs run into problems with embedded album art.

There are two general ways to encode a JPG: Standard or Progressive. And in the cases where I've seen DAPs run into problems with album art, it was typically because the JPGs used progressive encoding. It's at least something to test.

If Kel77 can't play those DSD files all along and now he can successfully play those file without album art, I definitely will approach the problem from graphic format involved in Album art. Kel77's situation is a bit different, he can play the DSD track last weeks, but all of a sudden, the same track will crash the player. If the problem persists, I probably will believe this is a hardware issue, but now he said the DSD files can be played without the Album art, I am lost completely.:confused:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 12, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #992 of 3,742
If Kel77 can't play those DSD files all along and now he can successfully play those file without album art, I definitely will approach the problem from graphic format involved in Album art. Kel77's situation is a bit different, he can play the DSD track last weeks, but all of a sudden, the same track will crash the player. If the problem persists, I probably will believe this is a hardware issue, but now he said the DSD files can be played without the Album art, I am lost completely.
confused.gif

I managed to go further today.
DSD with album cover loaded I can play normally when in folder view. I can switch screen off and when wake up play time still carry on normal.

Once I switch to view like this and I turn screen off and wake screen up play counter will freeze. Music still plays  but all buttons on device stop responding except for power button.

I am not sure if this has any relation to the 30:00 bug. BartSimpson1976 said he saw this problem on Jaben's unit and his own unit. I just now had a look again at AV One's posted pic of their demo unit on facebook also showed the 30:00 bug. So it seems to be the batch that were sent to Singapore having this problem?

Aug 12, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #993 of 3,742
About the volume control I see it now, Yes you are right, still depends on the speed of rotation. I give your word users are from Russia.
About DLNA , files cannot be downloaded directly to the player. Now playing on DLNA all great, but the menu option "download" is not working, nothing happens.

I appeal to the representatives of the Cayin.

Make please in the next firmware is the ability for the long tap on the folder to select "play folder". I highly recommend. For example I have a root "Music" folder, in it two folders "FLAC" and "MP3" (Yes, not all songs can be found in lossless format). Each of them have folders with albums and tracks. If I want at the moment that the player lost all the songs in the folder "FLAC" , now I have no choice. I have to go inside this folder and choose a specific album or files.

Will test the DLNA function and come back to you later.

Any UI changes will have to consider the implication to general users. Regarding the play folder function, if we were to implement similar function, it will probably involve some kind of user confirmation before we start a special folder mode playback, or in the form of a pop up shortcut menu. This won't really save up a lot of keystroke when compare to go into the folder and select a file to kick start.

Aug 12, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #995 of 3,742
I wanna ask some question:
1)how to change to english language
2)Does the battery need priming?

Battery does not need priming.

When you start up the player for the first time, the initialization screen will ask you to set language. You can also access to language and input setup screen with the following steps:

1. At any screen, wipe from screen top to access the control menu
2. Click "setup" icon on top right to go into System Setting screen
3. The fifth item from top is Language and input menu (World Atlas icon on left)
4. Once you go into Language and input menu, the first row is language selection.

Aug 12, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #996 of 3,742
This won't really save up a lot of keystroke when compare to go into the folder and select a file to kick start.

You do not quite understand, I will try to explain in another way, for example:
The file structure is shown here, the hierarchy tree:

Music 
    - Folder 1
           -- Folder 1.1
                   -- Track 01.flac
                   -- Track 02.flac
                   -- etc
           -- Folder 1.2
                   -- Track 01.flac
                   -- Track 02.flac
                   -- etc
    - Folder 2
           -- Folder 2.1
                   -- Track 01.flac
                   -- Track 02.flac
                   -- etc
    - Folder 3
                   -- Track 01.flac
                   -- Track 02.flac
                   -- etc
    - etc

Track 01.flac
      Track 02.flac
       -- etc

How do I get in this case play only folder Folder 1 and Folder 3? Only 2 Folder folder? Or even all together, all the Music folder, including Folder 1,2,3 and files inside the root of Music?
It is impossible to do with any playlists or manually. :frowning2:

Aug 12, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #997 of 3,742
Take a file from folder 1, select batch operation, add with it all files from the folder to a playlist.
Do the same with folder three and there you are.

On another subject: I got my Cayin OEM-case for the i5 and I must say I am not impressed. The leather is a bit too thick, the stitching
on the back is done a bit sloppy and the worst is that the fit is relatively loose. If you hold the case accidentally upside down the player
can drop out. Still hoping for a dignis case in the future.

Aug 12, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #998 of 3,742
  Take a file from folder 1, select batch operation, add with it all files from the folder to a playlist.
Do the same with folder three and there you are.

Code:
[color=rgb(33, 33, 33)] I understand what you're saying . But understand , these folders are dozens and they are all in different places . If, for example their folders 20-30 , then I sit and poke 10 minutes collecting my playlist ? It is very uncomfortable.[/color]

Aug 12, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #999 of 3,742
There is actually another way to make playlist, however I do not know if i5 supports it, since I've never succeeded doing it on my FiiO X3 too.
Basically, import playlist. You plug your i5 to your computer, open foobar or something, make playlist there and drag your folders from i5 into it then save the playlist as .m3u or other supported format.
As for whether it works or not, gotta have @Andykong confirm if i5 supports external playlist and if there's better method to do it, he might explain as well.

Making playlist containing lots of different folders on the i5 might be tiring, but the same also applies to other portable devices, I think.

Aug 12, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #1,000 of 3,742
Code:
[color=rgb(33,33,33)]
I understand what you're saying . But understand , these folders are dozens and they are all in different places . If, for example their folders 20-30 , then I sit and poke 10 minutes collecting my playlist ? It is very uncomfortable.
[/color]

But if you have to select dozens of folders scattered in different location, even the "play folder" function will not be able to fulfill your need because the function will only play a folder of a group of subfolders.

I still can't see the different between Play Folder function and the "Play Through Folder" functions that is currently provided by i5.

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #1,002 of 3,742
But if you have to select dozens of folders scattered in different location, even the "play folder" function will not be able to fulfill your need because the function will only play a folder of a group of subfolders.

I still can't see the different between Play Folder function and the "Play Through Folder" functions that is currently provided by i5.

I described the case that I would like to see in the ideal implementation. In another it is generally called a "queue", see the program as an example of Neutron. You will understand the algorithm, there is even possible to make a dynamic queue (if the file to listen to, it is automatically removed and continues listening to other files in the queue). "Play folder" would simplify my wish at times, but would not solve the issue completely. See as an example of the algorithm of the folders in the program Neutron player.
In the second part of the answer is a big difference, because after listening to the last track from the list of the selected folder, the folder is playing a lower level in the folder tree, but will pass through all the folders. As an example (if you follow my scheme above): I  choose Folder 1.2 folder and start Track01 playback and so on, after the last track in this folder will move to the folder Folder 2.1 and track01 there. If I for example in folder Folder 1 there are other tracks (in its root), then all of these tracks will not be played.
Another important disadvantage of playing through the folders - the inability to make the shuffle mode between all folders will shuffle only within a specific folder, without considering the other.

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #1,003 of 3,742
Is it normal that with stock player I can listen comfortably at volume level 20 to 25 (low gain) while if using third party players I need to go to 50 to 60?

We have touch base on this topic previously.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/802382/cayin-i5-lossless-android-dap-with-akm4490-dac-supporting-32-384-pcm-64-128-dsd/810#post_12759113

To keep everyone in the loop, we are developing an output normalization function in i5 and we are trying our best to implement this into our next firmware. If everything goes smooth, the third party apps. can be operated in similar volume level as the native HiBy Music Player in near future. :beerchug:

Aug 12, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #1,004 of 3,742
I described the case that I would like to see in the ideal implementation. In another it is generally called a "queue", see the program as an example of Neutron. You will understand the algorithm, there is even possible to make a dynamic queue (if the file to listen to, it is automatically removed and continues listening to other files in the queue). "Play folder" would simplify my wish at times, but would not solve the issue completely. See as an example of the algorithm of the folders in the program Neutron player.
In the second part of the answer is a big difference, because after listening to the last track from the list of the selected folder, the folder is playing a lower level in the folder tree, but will pass through all the folders. As an example (if you follow my scheme above): I  choose Folder 1.2 folder and start Track01 playback and so on, after the last track in this folder will move to the folder Folder 2.1 and track01 there. If I for example in folder Folder 1 there are other tracks (in its root), then all of these tracks will not be played.
Another important disadvantage of playing through the folders - the inability to make the shuffle mode between all folders will shuffle only within a specific folder, without considering the other.

I do understand the concept of dynamic playlist, there are app and DAP that offers very good implementation of this concept.

Cayin i5 does not have the feature or building block to implement dynamic playlist in our native player app in near future. We have the basic Play through Folder function which is very similar to the "Play Folder" function that you have requested. This is why I am reluctant to promise the "Play Folder" function immediately.

Shuffle don't works for multiple folders but it will not work with "Play Folder either. Alternatively shuffle can work with album/artist/genre list.

If dynamic playlist is important to you, we suggest you install appropriate music player app to your i5 for that purpose. We do understand that users will have their preferred music management and playback practice. We can't possibility fulfill every preference in our native music app., but we are more flexible than a lot of DAPs (N6 and N5 included) by providing Google Play and allowing users to install their favorite music app to the player. We spend a lot of effort to optimize third party application support and this is still on-going, the output level normalization as mentioned in previous post is an example of our optimization effort.

Aug 13, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #1,005 of 3,742
From my very own personal perspective this would be the 10 most appreciated issues for the next firmware update

1. gapless playback in stock player
2. Library sorting option by "album artist"
3. Fixing the 30:00 bug of the stock player
4. Fixing non-appearance of aac-files in stock player
5. Fixing the alphabetical order 
6. Proper reading of genre-tags
7. Reading of "year"-tag
8. Volume normalization between stock and 3rd party apps
9. Display of cover artwork not being faded out at top and bottom
10. Android status bar not to overlap the cover artwork

Users who are viewing this thread

Back