Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid (CTH) Tube & Tweak thread.
Jun 4, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #166 of 691
Mine is going in a big ally case and I have room for a TO220 if I bend ICP over a bit, say 45deg of so, ICH will need more fiddling to fit a sink as it's buried between a bunch of other stuff so I'll do some sink mods to the BoM ICP sink to fit.

I'm sure it'll appreciate whatever it can get, that tube runs it all very hot but it's soo good. This is the sound I wanted.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #169 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the Siemens E82CC I have is really nice but I wanted more slam and the feeling of raw power the 6n6p gives. I like the more aggressive presentation for my metal prefs

One of the key beauties of this amp... Preference voicing. I've been going back-n-forth between my Siemens (sweet, accurate) & Amperex 6DJ8 (more slam) every couple/few weeks. Now I may pick up a 6n6p someday
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #171 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfcubed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the key beauties of this amp... Preference voicing. I've been going back-n-forth between my Siemens (sweet, accurate) & Amperex 6DJ8 (more slam) every couple/few weeks. Now I may pick up a 6n6p someday
biggrin.gif

PM your addy and I'll pop one in the mail to you.

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #176 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's mine with the latest additions, new cap and upgraded sinks. Original heatsink and new heatsink in their new positions to help with cooling down the new tube draw on it's test platform until it's ready for transplant.

smeggy, I was gonna comment on your puny C3H upgrade cap since mine is roughly the same height as C3P, but it looks like you left the original connected on the pcb just hooked a larger cap in parallel (placed just behind ICH?).

Jun 6, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #177 of 691
And I see our old friend the Murata L2H springing mushroom-like from the pads!

I have the 1A version of the BOM L2H (vertical Toroid), but have yet to test it (although it should work fine and fits the board better than the Murata)

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #178 of 691
Yes the cap is paralleled with the original, seemed simpler than trying to replace it. The wee mushroom is quite cute actually, sitting there all a kilter
smily_headphones1.gif

With the new cap poking out the back and honking big heatsink I think I'll call it SCTH (semi-compact tube hybrid)
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #179 of 691
It's looking great smeggy. What enclosure is it going to find itself in?

These mods are making me want to build another at some point. I have some ideas brewing...

For the moment, I'm going to try to focus on the EHHA - and the Bijou (as my SOHAII board gathers dust).
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #180 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfcubed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tube-wise, Amperex (Holland) 6DJ8s & Siemens 12au7 chrome plates are still at the top of my heap. They each have very different presentation (6DJ8s - punchy/great bass, 12au7 - honest/flatter).

Just picked up a pair of Amprex ECC88's (6dj8's) and they do sound fantastic. The bass is killer, but I'd say it's not as detailed as my CBS/Hytron 7730 (still my overall favorite in the CTH). But I'm really enjoying the bass on the Amprex tubes. Listening to Pavement right now, and the bass extension is amazing. Going to spin Real Emotional Trash next and see what Joanna Bolme's bass sounds like. Can't wait to try these out in the Bijou.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back