Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid (CTH) Tube & Tweak thread.
May 29, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #151 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if the Tesla is a rebranded Tungsram?

I'd be floored if the tesla is just that, but I highly doubt it is a rebadged looking at the pic below. According to my research, it looks like rebrands exist having steel pins and 3 holes in the plate, then it's Tungsram.

Based on your impressions though it sounds like a real winner to me as it has the qualities I want sq wise. If it meets my needs I'm definitely chasing down an extra pair and see how well they perform also with the SOHA II.

teslatungsram.jpg

May 29, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #152 of 691
I was wondering if someone could answer me the following questions:

1. Since someone pointed out that the LM2595 is running near it's limited 1A when using 6n1pi's, I ordered an additional 2596 but this one.
Now after ordering I looked at it a little closer and it's 12V chip. Is this working anyway or can't I use it?

2. Concerning the higher heater current upgrade I also ordered an additional L2H, this one. It's not a toroid, couldn't find one at Farnell.
Do I have to be careful with non-toroid chokes, or is the magnetic leakage with a iron core irrelavent?

Thanx for any help!!
Ava

May 29, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #153 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ynis Avalach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered an additional 2596 but this one.
Now after ordering I looked at it a little closer and it's 12V chip. Is this working anyway or can't I use it?

Not really, can't be used here as its a fixed voltage regulator (puts out 12v period). It should have that ADJ bit at the end.
Don't feel bad, I somehow ordered two 5V fixed voltage LMs by mistake & they are of no use (now anyway).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ynis Avalach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do I have to be careful with non-toroid chokes, or is the magnetic leakage with a iron core irrelevant?

I don't think I'd worry about magnetic leakage.. But things are very tight in the CTH. Recommend using your ears as the judge (compare your CTH in stock/BoM form (IOW, make sure you've a CTH working in stock form 1st) to it after you make these upgrades).

May 29, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #154 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfcubed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really, can't be used here as its a fixed voltage regulator (puts out 12v period). It should have that ADJ bit at the end.
Don't feel bad, I somehow ordered two 5V fixed voltage LMs by mistake & they are of no use (now anyway).

I don't think I'd worry about magnetic leakage.. But things are very tight in the CTH. Recommend using your ears as the judge (compare your CTH in stock/BoM form (IOW, make sure you've a CTH working in stock form 1st) to it after you make these upgrades).

I will do this. Thank you. The 6n1pi isn't here yet anyway.

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #156 of 691
Switched it down to 6v, plugged in the 6n6p and off it flew... nice bass increase over the Siemens and the rest sounds damn nice too. I'm very happy with it especially considering how cheap these tubes are. I like how this sounds a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

Big tube too, twice the size of the little E82CC and no heat or stability problems so far.

Jun 3, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #157 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Switched it down to 6v, plugged in the 6n6p and off it flew... nice bass increase over the Siemens and the rest sounds damn nice too. I'm very happy with it especially considering how cheap these tubes are. I like how this sounds a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

Big tube too, twice the size of the little E82CC and no heat or stability problems so far.

Did you upgrade the heater circuitry for this?

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #161 of 691
Cool. Atleast yours shipped from Lithuania quickly.

Ordered my Tungsram last week (comes from Bulgaria), and they've not even left their warehouse yet
mad.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #163 of 691
Just an FYI that seems to me the 800ma draw of 6n6p is right at the spec limits of the devices in the std CTH (w/revised C3H of course).
If it was mine I'd put some sort of heatsink, or part of a heatsink, on ICH for that case.

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #164 of 691
yeah, I picked some up at ratshack to do that. and mebbe a 220 on the ICP as it's very hot. Making them fit is gonna be fun
eek.gif

I'm sure I can dremmel the sinks to fit which will do fine.

If it comes to it I'll add a small transfo and put a small silent fan under it
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #165 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, I picked some up at ratshack to do that. and mebbe a 220 on the ICP as it's very hot. Making them fit is gonna be fun
eek.gif

I'm sure I can dremmel the sinks to fit which will do fine.

Yes, a heatsink is always required on ICP (24V reg) & the smallish one the BoM may need bitty modding (break off lowest fins, bend it a bit) esp. if you've not mounted parts near the RS low enough (or not soldered ICP high enough).
That & ventilation holes or perf top & you are GTG if using the std case. Larger cases can get by with less:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back