Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid (CTH) Tube & Tweak thread.
Jun 16, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #199 of 691
This is going to be my bedside rig's Tubey I think. Thanks for all the great tweaking info and Ill post what I develop over my course
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #200 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, does it actually make any difference I wonder.

That question has launched a Thousand Cap Purchases my friend - if you can hear the differences in sound between tubes, chances are you can hear Cap differences as well...
wink.gif

BTW - I have the 6n6 back in my work rig, (but with the Grados.) Very peppy...

Jun 16, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #201 of 691
Might I ask which your favorite tubes are when listening with the RS-1s?

I've definitly not decided yet, because I'm stuck with an imbalance in the soundstage, trying using matched transistors.

Ava

Jun 16, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #202 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That question has launched a Thousand Cap Purchases my friend - if you can hear the differences in sound between tubes, chances are you can hear Cap differences as well...
wink.gif

BTW - I have the 6n6 back in my work rig, (but with the Grados.) Very peppy...

I did wonder as I know going undersize on output caps can quench bass a bit, but I have no idea what these ones do or are for. I might try something though, just because..
jecklinsmile.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #203 of 691
Quote:

I did wonder as I know going undersize on output caps can quench bass a bit, but I have no idea what these ones do or are for. I might try something though, just because..
jecklinsmile.gif

For these interstage coupling caps I think we are all sticking w/design value 0.22uf & rated 100v or better. So we aren't talking size WRT the cap's value like you might for amps w/large output capacitors on their outputs (to block DC).

I think we can agree, maybe, that the effects of various coupling caps is more subtle than that of various tubes. And you must watch "wearing out" coupling cap pads / traces when rolling them. I think the WIMA upgrade caps are easiest to deal with.

Jun 16, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #204 of 691
I could do what I did on the other cap and just parallel though that may defeat the purpose of the better caps. The one at the back was same make/type but bigger so no biggie there.

I'm just looking to get the very best from this little treasure. I really like this amp.

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #205 of 691
Smeggy,

Probably not the best idea to parallel caps in the audio path (especially disparate types.) If you want to hear the difference a cap makes, my loaner amp has socketed coupling caps. I'll swap you your K1000s for a month and you can cap roll to your heart's content
biggrin.gif

cfCubed is right about the caps - probably more subtle sound diffs. And you can get a whole bunch of tubes for the price of some esoteric audio caps.

Two resources sited a bit about caps:

Humble Homemade Hifi

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/or...thread-284863/

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #206 of 691
Maybe not the best segway into my post...

I've been won over by the Auricaps. I was very skeptical; I expected to be hard pressed to nail down any real difference between these two. I mean both are very well respected caps.

Listening to 'inamorata and narration by conrad roberts' the trumpet had a richer and more full sound with the Auricaps that really brought it to life. The drums too felt more real, with a sharper attack and very nice timbre. I equate this to some midrange emphasis happening with the Auricaps. But, wow, does it sound great.

Strangely, not only was the midrange nicer but the top end was more extended and detailed (like very obviously so). Listening to such a complex track the superior instrument separation of the Auricaps was also clearly apparent.

Like I said, I'm won over, and I'll be ordering a pair of Auricaps for my own CTH tomorrow.

I should mention I was using a 6DJ8 for most of this comparison, and swapped the same tube back and forth between the amps.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #208 of 691
Quote:

As to the K1k, you can borrow them after sachu has finished with them
smily_headphones1.gif

yeah..that's going to be a problem..i like them sooo much
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back