Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon Now Available
Apr 20, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #407 of 1,195
  Oh no, I wasn't going for the TZ reference at all.  I just wanted to post the scariest music known to man.

For those of us who were kids in the late Eighties, WHY DID OUR PARENTS LET US WATCH DAT SCHIIT?  
blink.gif

That would be because we watched a lot of this stuff "first run" in the late Sixties & Seventies, & most of us turned out "fairly"
normal ! (I'm not counting myself among that group however, being that I'm an "Audiophile"
tongue.gif
)

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #409 of 1,195
Alright, are serious questions allowed at this point ?

Seeing as how I don't think I'll be able to get in on this first run of the Carbon, (I have no budget for it,presently), how much would someone guess the "going price" for it will rise to ?

(My Burson Soloist isn't 'horrible' with my straight wired, modded HD800s but I didn't go the "extra mile" with them for using them with an "OK" amp ! ; I like the Burson better with them than the tube amps I've tried with them ,but tube amps never seem to work for me anyway, as they seem to add colorations my Hex DAC doesn't need )
probably around the price of the other amp you're lookin at

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #410 of 1,195
"Shhhh" You caught me !!. They might charge me that price if they realize where "I wuz lookin"

I didn't know we had members of Homeland Security here keeping an eye on things ! I better hurry up & sell some stuff !

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #411 of 1,195
Apr 21, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #412 of 1,195
Im selling my unopened Cavalli liquid Carbon for $3200.00. I will be 90 years old though.:)
And I might not remember owning it.

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #413 of 1,195

Alright ... (& I do believe the "other" amp was around first by another name for a while now) I was looking at the EC "Black Widow" which had originally been called the "Red Top"

Seeing as how I'm no longer at an economic level where I can spend the kind of money I did when I bought my Metrum Hex DAC & even my Equitech 1.5Q line conditioner, I'm still interested in "high performance" equipment to compliment what I already have without taking a step back. Any time a Company like Cavalli Audio or EC come out with equipment that I'm sure has a lot of trickle down tech without the usual "dumbing down" of that tech (that the "Big Player" companies always do), I'm interested !

& that's my case your Honor !

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #415 of 1,195
Since the LC is an affordable version of the LG, when do we get to order the affordable version of the Abyss headphones? Anyone from JPS care to comment?

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #416 of 1,195
No comment.

Apr 21, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #417 of 1,195
Heya folks.

So I'm not sure if I should thank you all or curse you all...:)

Here I sit, just a simple guy who is looking to buy a quality set of headphones and amp/DAC for a reasonable price, when I came upon this thread.  After reading all 28 pages of your posts, I now fear that you have dragged me down the rabbit hole...

After reading so many posts by people who know far more than myself, I find myself needing to ask you all for advice.  I'm sorry if this is slightly off topic, but since this amp won't ship for four months, I hope it's okay to ask for some opinions on my situation.

I was originally thinking of purchasing a Modi 2/Magni 2 and a decent pair of headphones to go with them.  I listen to music from my PC, my DVD player, and most near and dear to my heart, my DAT decks.  After reading this thread, I decided (or was mind controlled.:) to buy the Liquid Carbon amp and a nice DAC to go with it. Possibly the TEAC mentioned earlier in this thread due to the features, price point, and value after the current rebate offered on it.  I'm also looking at other DAC options that were mentioned in this thread.

So since I'm putting the horse before the cart, so to speak, I want to ask you all which headphones you think would pair well with the Liquid Carbon amp? 
My price point is $500. or less for the headphones.  I had a pair of Phillips Fidelio x1's that were nice, but my cousin borrowed them and then legged it to Costa Rica, and my headphones apparently went along for the ride.  Such is life.  So I find myself in need of new headphones.

For music, I like Rock and Roll from the 50's through the 90's.  That includes all types of Rock and Roll, from hard rock to fusion and everything in between.  I also love all styles of Blues, contemporary Jazz (Earl Klugh, Spyro Gyra, George Benson, etc.), Motown, Pop (Jim Croce, Billy Joel, Harry Chapin, etc.), great acoustic stylists (like Al Di Meola, etc.), and most beloved to my heart, live Grateful Dead (The bulk of my DAT collection).

Any advise would be appreciated.  I am open to purchasing used headphones as well, if that would place something worth considering into my price range.
Thanks for your time.

Apr 21, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #418 of 1,195
Alpha Dog's are the best I've heard at that price point ($599 new, generally around $450 used), should pair well with the Carbon I would think, plenty of power anyway.

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #419 of 1,195
@Dannek - here are a few suggestions to explore - audition if you can at meets - DAC Mousai MSD192 - cans: Sennheiser HD600, used Denon D5000, NAD HP50. three very different sounding headphones from each other. There are plenty of reviews available for all three.

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #420 of 1,195
@Dannek,

just to offer a counter-perspective, this is what Dr. Cavalli states himself and I agree with him.

But, in seeking the best SQ one can get, MHO is that the DAC and headphones are the real keys to the equation. So if I made either of these two things I'd be about as clever as there is.
biggrin.gif

Besides your source files, the one thing that will have the biggest impact on your overall sound quality will be your headphones. I would personally recommend allocating the majority of your budget towards your headphones as that will give you the greatest sound quality improvements per dollar. From my personal experience, I notice a bigger sonic upgrade jumping from a $400-$500 pair of mid-fi headphones to a $1,000 pair of flagship headphones over the subtle differences jumping around in sub-$1000 amps/dacs category.

Just something to think about. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back