Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon Now Available
Apr 19, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #392 of 1,195
Alright, are serious questions allowed at this point ?

Seeing as how I don't think I'll be able to get in on this first run of the Carbon, (I have no budget for it,presently), how much would someone guess the "going price" for it will rise to ?

(My Burson Soloist isn't 'horrible' with my straight wired, modded HD800s but I didn't go the "extra mile" with them for using them with an "OK" amp ! ; I like the Burson better with them than the tube amps I've tried with them ,but tube amps never seem to work for me anyway, as they seem to add colorations my Hex DAC doesn't need )

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #393 of 1,195

Seeing as how I don't think I'll be able to get in on this first run of the Carbon, (I have no budget for it,presently), how much would someone guess the "going price" for it will rise to ?

(My Burson Soloist isn't 'horrible' with my straight wired, modded HD800s but I didn't go the "extra mile" with them for using them with an "OK" amp ! ; I like the Burson better with them than the tube amps I've tried with them ,but tube amps never seem to work for me anyway, as they seem to add colorations my Hex DAC doesn't need )

I believe Alex made an offhand comment the price would come up to $799 if there was an additional run. He emphasized there may not be additional runs though. 

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #394 of 1,195

I believe Alex made an offhand comment the price would come up to $799 if there was an additional run. He emphasized there may not be additional runs though. 

That's a tough question there.  But let me just say that I'm in the same boat as you, so yes I knowhatumean.  The past year, and the year to come, are going to be lean years for me - so I also had to think about whether I should be getting a Carbon at this time.  But in the end, I came to the following conclusions:

• I know that I want the Carbon, and favor it over a lot of other gear I have around here.
  • Seeing as how I envision getting it sooner or later, I'd rather get it now and save $200.
  • If I have to, I'll sell something to make up for the cost of the Carbon.

There are other factors in play of course, and there are several ways to game them all out, but those points simplified the decision for me greatly.

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #395 of 1,195

I'm also fairly confident you'd only lose $1 trying the LC, then selling it (You can't turn a profit on the Head-Fi for sale forums)...

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #396 of 1,195

That's a tough question there.  But let me just say that I'm in the same boat as you, so yes I knowhatumean.  The past year, and the year to come, are going to be lean years for me - so I also had to think about whether I should be getting a Carbon at this time.  But in the end, I came to the following conclusions:

• I know that I want the Carbon, and favor it over a lot of other gear I have around here.
  • Seeing as how I envision getting it sooner or later, I'd rather get it now and save $200.
  • If I have to, I'll sell something to make up for the cost of the Carbon.

There are other factors in play of course, and there are several ways to game them all out, but those points simplified the decision for me greatly.

Check ,check & check (particularly on point 3).!!!

I have to come clean and admit to being an "Audio Equipment Hoarder" ! Right off the top of my head (& packed up on a closet shelf) I have a VPI TT I know I'll never set-up again as I sold all my vinyl years ago !! . Then there are the 3 headphone amps I won't need (a Fosgate Sig tube , Beyerdynamic A1 & the Burson Soloist) !

Cleaning out my Audio Museum is long over due. Now I have to see if I can find the boxes for the A1 & Soloist.

You know that little triangular hammer they use on your knees to check your reflexes, I think I might need one of those for my "Noggin". I'll tap & as Fred Sanford used to say "Wake up, you dummy"

Thanks guys !

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #397 of 1,195
When I used to sell retail audio while attending college (many, many moons ago), people used to come in to the store and ask me for my advice on "how much should they spend
on a particular component or system".

I used to tell them to "take their proposed budget and then double it".

The reason being, that if you really want something and are going to truly use and enjoy it, then eventually you are going to regret that you didn't go for what you really wanted (settling
for something cheaper, second best), You might end up getting it later anyway, losing money on your initial investment and any higher prices later on.

If you are the type of person who really appreciates their purchases and not the type of person who just buys something they think they want and have a whole shelf of those purchases,
gathering dust..Then get what you genuinely desire, because a year from now you will have had an entire year of enjoying the better product, and by then you would have forgotten all
about spending the extra money!
Customers used to come back to me later on and thanked me for the advice.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it! IMHO.

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #398 of 1,195
  ...I have to come clean and admit to being an "Audio Equipment Hoarder" ! Right off the top of my head (& packed up on a closet shelf)...

This is really freaky. What are the odds that you would post this, just as I'm writing my post talking about this very thing? Do do do do…Do do do do.

Be afraid…be very afraid! 
eek.gif

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #399 of 1,195
One question ; "Do do do do... Do do do do" was the intro to LvB's 5th right ? (Or did you just finish off a fifth ?)
biggrin.gif

You're right though, it's freaky but we're just "pace setters" admitting to our "condition" !!!

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #400 of 1,195

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #404 of 1,195
In my haste to sell off my unused gear to fund this venture, I forgot that my T5P are currently being modded so I have no cans to listen to at the moment. Realized this when I reached up to grab my cans for another Sunday jazz session and there was nothing but air. On a positive note, my phantom cans are a beautiful match with my pre-order LC as I noted in my review.

Only decision point I have left is which of my portable amps I let go, but will probably wait until I get the LC in hand. For some reason, I seem to accumulate more amps than cans or IEMs.

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #405 of 1,195
Oh no, I wasn't going for the TZ reference at all.  I just wanted to post the scariest music known to man.

For those of us who were kids in the late Eighties, WHY DID OUR PARENTS LET US WATCH DAT SCHIIT?  
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back