CanJam NYC 2024 (March 9-10, 2024)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 5, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #616 of 726
Is the NJ Transit rail easy to get to from Newark airport? Was thinking of doing that if I can (I'm staying at Marriott) instead of ubering or cabbing it.
NJ transit will take you to Penn station and from there it is like 10-15 mins walk.

Mar 5, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #617 of 726
Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #618 of 726
Is the NJ Transit rail easy to get to from Newark airport? Was thinking of doing that if I can (I'm staying at Marriott) instead of ubering or cabbing it.
IMHO, it is. I took the train from DC once. But now I drive up every year, and park at Newark Airport. Then take the tram over to the rail station and use the NJ Transit APP to buy my ticket. Then just walk from NY Penn to the hotel. The train cost from Newark to NY Penn is about $16. That and parking at EWR airport is cheaper and easier than parking at the Marriott and driving downtown.

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #619 of 726
Mar 5, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #621 of 726
Oh, The Watercooler gang is very much a "real thing". Here's a quick and easy guide as to how to identify them.

Look for the wooden Watercooler name tags
Look for the big smiles on people's faces when they are auditioning equipment since there's a very good chance that they are part of the gang.
Look for the large crowd posing for pictures - a sure fire way to identify them!

If you think that you have identified a Watercooler member then by all means say hello. I promise that they are very friendly, helpful, and most importantly, that they don't bite. :beyersmile:

Thanks for the kind words and thoughtful summary of our little community. My favorite part:

Look for the big smiles on people's faces when they are auditioning equipment since there's a very good chance that they are part of the gang.

I think this is ultimately the most endearing part of the cooler community. Many communities are focused on a particular reviewer, collective or some particular ideology or approach. The Watercooler, rather, is a grassroots collection of some far flung-- and often vastly diverse in their backgrounds, locations and dispositions-- enthusiasts who often share little in common except their sincere love of this hobby. It is this that for me has made it persist and only get better with time. CanJam is the perfect venue for folks to come together and celebrate in fellowship, and I'm eternally grateful to the staff and folks at Head Fi both for this platform on which we spend so much of our lives, but also for organizing these incredible meets through which we can gather together and share the joy in person. Cheers.

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #622 of 726
I think this is ultimately the most endearing part of the cooler community. Many communities are focused on a particular reviewer, collective or some particular ideology or approach. The Watercooler, rather, is a grassroots collection of some far flung-- and often vastly diverse in their backgrounds, locations and dispositions-- enthusiasts who often share little in common except their sincere love of this hobby. It is this that for me has made it persist and only get better with time. CanJam is the perfect venue for folks to come together and celebrate in fellowship, and I'm eternally grateful to the staff and folks at Head Fi both for this platform on which we spend so much of our lives, but also for organizing these incredible meets through which we can gather together and share the joy in person. Cheers.

Beautifully said. Amen.
And thank you as well for all your contributions 🙏

Mar 6, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #623 of 726
Mar 6, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #624 of 726
IMHO, it is. I took the train from DC once. But now I drive up every year, and park at Newark Airport. Then take the tram over to the rail station and use the NJ Transit APP to buy my ticket. Then just walk from NY Penn to the hotel. The train cost from Newark to NY Penn is about $16. That and parking at EWR airport is cheaper and easier than parking at the Marriott and driving downtown.
I drove through NYC once and that was enough. Never again. When I do drive north on the turnpike I can tell when I'm close. Other drivers become super aggressive, cutting you off, no turn signals ever. You can tell the city dweller cars with the rubber bumper guards and usually all dented up. They don't give a damn if they bang into you so I avoid as much as I can. I turn west and go way around the metro area. I don't even cross the Hudson till up at Newburgh.

Update: I found a video pretty much describing the type of drivers I notice closer to the cities:

It's like Mario Cart up there sometimes!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #625 of 726
ABYSS preview video CanJam New York 2024
Look forward to seeing everyone!

The sons are fine young men, Joe must be proud of em.

Happy for their fam.

TC got me INTO the speaker world, since their headphone kept scaling with better and better electronics.

One random day I just thought holy heck, just swap in speakers and I be aight!

Mar 6, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #627 of 726

Yep, very easy.

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Mar 6, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #628 of 726
Ok, thanks! Is the app needed or can I get a ticket for the transit after I get off the plane?

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #629 of 726
Ok, thanks! Is the app needed or can I get a ticket for the transit after I get off the plane?
Yes, each NJ Transit rail station does have kiosks to get a physical ticket and it'll take a credit card.

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #630 of 726
Yes, each NJ Transit rail station does have kiosks to get a physical ticket and it'll take a credit card.
Perfect - thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back