CanJam London 2023 Impressions Thread
Aug 20, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #181 of 462
This was the ZMF/JDS amp? Always glad to hear impressions of this amp are so good (fairly expected considering where it's coming from but still good to hear)
I've posted photos of it earlier in this thread. It was lovely.

Buy a TT2 then 👍😂
God no. TT2 was awful.

Since people brought up the new HEDDphone, here are some photos and quick thoughts:

20230820_103201~2.jpg
20230820_103215~2.jpg
20230820_103235~2.jpg
20230820_103722~2.jpg
20230820_103812~3.jpg
20230820_103829~3.jpg
I was one of few people completely fine with the original HEDDphone. In fact, I still think it merits a place today thanks to it's wonderful reproduction for jazz and classical music genres. The new set is designed from the ground up to address the various comfort issues of the original such as the replacement of aluminium for lower profile and lighter magnesium, an ingenious clamp and sizing mechanism using carbon fiber, leather, and memory foam, and even replacing the mini XLR connectors to dual 3.5 mm to save on plastic material for a further reduction in size and mass alike. The net result is a set of headphones that now weighs 550 g but comes off less than that when worn.

In addition, there are minor updates to the drivers. These are now slightly more efficient (~2 dB) and HEDD has also gone for a more balanced tuning. Gone is the pronounced sub-bass dip from before and we have a set that plays well with electronic music and rock too, while rendering vocals well too. I do miss the magic in the upper mids and treble the original set had, which is why I urge @freddyknop and the rest of the HEDD team to consider selling the original HEDDphone alongside the new one. Either way, I do agree with them that the new version is a definite upgrade for most people. I'd certainly like to test it in familiar conditions!
I didn't listen to these. What's the RRP?

Aug 20, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #183 of 462
Aug 20, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #185 of 462
Some impressions while still hot.

Revelations of the day:
The new hedd. Now half the dimensions, packed with a so nice tuning and finesse and clarity, with a unique timbre... Really congratulations to the hedd team!
Then the Yamaha yh5000se... Another wow. The layering, the tuning, the presentation were superb. Imo just a bit of honkyness, like a low mid accentuation that was immediately evident. You can call it a coloration if you wish, but it was such a perfect headphones that this coloration surprised me.
And then the unexpected wireless: the unity. This is a new breed, to be intended as a whole system, streamer included. It connects to wifi and uses your services directly, so no crappy Bluetooth. And the sound was clean and powerful. Don't forget to try it as I was doing thinking it's just a wireless headphones. Sadly it's no cheap either...

A special thanks to DCS stuff that was really fun and joyful.

Ofc a lot of other great headphones, but probably already known so I won't repeat.
Thanks for those infos.

Could You please tell us what is the brand of this « unity system » that do wireless over wifi ? I would like to find their web site or more infos/pictures . Thanks

Aug 20, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #186 of 462
What a fantastic day, got to try so much. Highlights for me was finding myself evaluating the Hedd v2 alongside @jude - he seemed to be as impressed as me, and interacting with Zeos and crew at the q and a seminar! The Arya organic was also impressive and I was also able to confirm to myself the positive benefits of the Chord M scaler. i also enjoyed the Final D8000 pro, 64 audio U6t and Meze Elite with new pads and Manley amp.

Aug 20, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #187 of 462
Right, wisdom out of noob mouth
Biggest disappointment fatfreg Mse. This one was on my wish list since last year, best bass and all that glad I didn't bought it blind. Bass too soft and woolly, Andy Stott track Violence bass bits sounded like deflated farts. apparently requires loads of power to sound good so my dx320 on high gain was not enough?
second disappointment in bass department (not that I could afford it) EE evo? Or legend, nice for my electronic music needs but died on Andy Stott hill, distorted very low end farts farts farts
Campfire trifecta very nice sublime with Jennifer Wharton Bonegasm, not so much with Andy Stott farts farts farts
Really liked Diva with my singing ladies library, slightly different to my penon volt and impact, vocals a bit more back in the mix everything more crisper blacker background. Very nice want
After Diva, kublai Khan didn't make sense with all those drivers make up and so is monarch mk3, two 10mm DDs really? BA bass better these days
Storm was amazing, if I wasn't drinker would sell kidney or something. Crimson was okish shell different shape to storm, short nozzle to flat body difficult get good seal

Big thanks to organisers for limitless cold water a life saver

Aug 20, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #189 of 462
I haven’t seen anyone posting about these.
They were the highlight of the show for me, along with VE10 and Singularity.

What is it? Is Canaur the brand? BA, e-stat, bone conduction...are there any other noteable IEMs with this configuration?

There are a some impressions if you flip back a couple pages. Among other things consensus seems to be fit is awkward

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #190 of 462
Just wanted to say a massive thanks and congratulations to the organisers, head-fi team, exhibitors and everyone else involved!:beerchug:

I consider myself lucky to be able to see so much across a vast range of headphone gear with virtually zero effort (not just because I live in London haha).

And I remember 10+ years ago when getting any pre-purchase demo was virtually impossible so I'd drive myself nuts by reading and re-reading reviews. Don't take these demo opportunities for granted!

Initially I actually went to troubleshoot my Focal and Abyss headphones, both with poor build quality. Focal in particular don't seem to consider a headband as an important part of their flagship headphones - the sheer amount of disturbingly creaky Stellias and Utopias even at the show was scary. And no, It's not wear and tear, but poor build quality and shoddy design.

But I was pleasantly surprised to see Ultimate Ears Pro have a stand. Was wondering a few weeks ago about how their new "UE Premier" flagship CIEM sounds. I highly rate my UE18+ Pro's from a sound perspective and design/fit/build/service perspective.
Tried the universal demo premier with a great reference point: the difference between my custom UE18+ and the universal demo UE18+
The guy at the stand was really cool, and had vast experience in this field which was interesting to hear about.
Most likely this is my next IEM!

Also enjoyed the Questyle stand - another cool guy!
I've used my CMA 12 Master almost daily for 4+ years. Definitely looking forward to their upcoming 18 Master which I had no idea existed until today.

Other points:
1) Free hotel WiFi was really good, consistent and fast all day long.
Don't remember it being this good in a few previous shows. Only a few demo rigs I came across had streaming problems, which probably wasn't because of the wifi

2) Rooms upstairs were well done
Filled with plenty of demo rigs, ZMF and DCS. Got to listen to loads of solid setups for my Abyss Dianas (which don't pair that well with the Questyle).
No shortage of headphones in the ZMF room :beyersmile:
And the DCS rigs were flawless and well put together!

Maybe one/two of the larger open-backed stands downstairs (like Audeze) could have got a room for better isolation
But I agree with an earlier poster here - too many rooms is a bad thing - some hi-fi shows I've been to are like games of hide and seek with 50+ rooms!

3) Demo headphone units were mostly pristine and the hall & rooms were all well air-conditioned
Didn't leave the show feeling like my hair stank of other peoples ear pad sweat! Lots of exhibitors used pristine demo units which was really nice to see.

4) Perfect amount of people vs demo rigs
Didn't need to queue for much and it was easy to get conversations in with exhibitors (difficult in busy shows such as Bristol hi-fi show)

5) Jude is an ocean of knowledge, a personal audio grand master!
Always learn a lot when being lucky enough to speak to people of this calibre :)

Again, thanks for putting this show on and hopefully see you all at the next CanJam London :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #191 of 462
My first ever CanJam today and loved every minute of it!

Big thanks to the organisers and all the exhibitors. A really great set up all round.

It's late so I can't write all my impressions right now, but I will at some point hopefully. Plus my impressions are very basic and written as a newbie with no previous experience of high end gear.

One thing I will say though.... The ZMF room. Just wow!... What a truly beautiful experience that was! 😍

Aug 20, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #193 of 462
Compliments again to the team and volunteers. Show rating 3 B's: bigger, better, bolder. All exhibitors were most accommodating, patient and welcoming. Hats off, these shows must require stamina

Impressions triangulation (same as last year save one item swap):
- Sony WM1Z first gen, Sony IER-Z1R (E4UA adaptors and Campfire Audio pure silver balanced 4.4mm cable with stock silicone tips), 64 Audio A18S custom fit.

Sennheiser HE 1 = unicorn in its own separate column. For the 15 minutes it was HvB Beethoven Fifth's Sympthony ; could not waste time browsing the streaming selection. Hear everything without anything wrong tonally or technically. If you earn 7 figures, buy this or donate to me

Insert usual show impressions and sighted bias disclaimer. Unless specifically mentioned please assume comfort and fit were fine on my ears or head. No real photographs because my smartphone is 8 years young (not a typo) and plenty of better cameras. In fact I seem to have been photographed by everyone :face_palm: ha ha

ZMF room: team ZMF are the nicest people you could meet. Spent a solid 2 hours. Was able to A/B Atrium Closed in two different woods on the dCS Lina stack. In order of preference: Caldera, Atrium open/closed, Verite open/closed but splitting hairs they each have something going for them. Knowing the Caldera closed is in development is conflicting as the clock ticks down to the expiry of the show discount... The ZMF unreleased portable headphone: the weight loss immediately apparent. There is a family sound, not the same level as the grown ups but that is expected

dCS room: did not listen to anything but spoke to the knowledgeable team. Lina was represented in the ZMF and HE 1 rooms anyhow

Effect Audio: Cleopatra II Octa attached to the IER-Z1R yielded slightly more separation, bass control and detail. Slight but detectable

Vision Ears: VE10 new model versus EXT: prefer the VE10 fit but the EXT sound as more exciting and extension. I did not think the sound especially stood out (read to the end)

Final Audio: Instantly prefer D8000 Pro over non-Pro connected to (one of the) Burson all in one desktops. The still-in-development new flagship was display only. PR manager said had hoped to have a demo version but Japan not ready to sign off the sound yet. A5000 new budget IEM model was a pleasant listen. Real attention went to the A8000 IEM: yeah the bass is better than IER-Z1R. Do not hear a midrange dip on A8000

64 Audio: only here to listen to the Fourté Blanc, the new U4S and to ask if the m12 Apex module will be available for standalone purchase (currently exclusive to buyers of the U4S). Did not hear anything in the Blanc that is interest. The U4S the budget model sounds quite competitive relative to the 64A range. It was a not yet and possibly not ever on the m12 Apex as a standalone purchase option. It was then teasingly suggested to wait 6 weeks for something new. Okay then...

Ultimate Ears: Listened to the entire line of the first time. "Clarity" was the watchword and totally get the professional popularity. Thought the Live mix of dynamic/BA was not fully coherent. New 21 driver flagship: universal demo definitely chonk. I think they made a mistake with the nozzle design ; it is by no means the only hefty IEM at the show or in the world. I would strongly recommend UE re-design the universal demo unit for more consistent fit for potential custom orders

A&K SP3000: finally updated the interface and processor for fast navigation that everyone expects in the modern era. The design choice of sharp corners is confusing and means in practice an outer case is needed whether for home or travel. Obviously much more driving power than anything by Sony ; the Meze flagship is happier driven by the SP3K versus Sony DAP. Silver, black and copper all present. At the show sounded the same, noting the forum posts and A&K themselves suggesting a difference. Compared to WM1Z first gen more extended, separation and detail. More sub-bass rumble. Not "throw away WM1Z v1" difference. But the SP3K can be the all-use-cases purchase ; desktop and portable...

Fir Audio: yeah kinetic bass is doing something and not just marketing. I prefer the KR5 over the Xe6. The X6 is too bass heavy though totally get this is preference (I have the coloured sounding Fostex TH900 at home). Radon 6: standout sub-bass, layering, detail and I think W signature. R6 a warmer sounding monitor over KR5 but not as dark as Xe6

Sennheiser: (disclaimer: everyone will likely own or have heard the full size lineup). The team were super polite responding to my query about an official HD 540 ear pad (figured worse answer is a no, which indeed it was). Moving on, the IE lineup stood out for their small dimensions and therefore easy "do not need to think about it" fit. IE 600 is probably tuned "too good" in that the sound is 'close enough' to IE 900 the value proposition is with the IE 600. Did not hear a midrange dip or treble sizzle that I have read about on the IE 600 or IE 900. Might be the Sony source at play. IE 200: £130 RRP is the headline for entry to a balanced Sennheiser sound. Signature is touch lean for my taste, but we are comparing to more expensive monitors

QDC: UK show debut (thank you head-fi). VX: totally get the praise and the tunable signature provides flexibility. V14: I actually enjoyed the additional est treble drivers and "switch 3 and 4 up" for classical. VX better 'value'. Also heard the Dmagic. Recall a neutral sound nothing especially standout - the lack of any glaring tonality issues is a plus. Save up for VX if looking at the QDC family. If you must own a triple dynamic, buy this over the Campfire Trifecta all day, every day

Soundz: Only heard the 4, 7 and 10 driver flagship. Getting to the end of the show had to prioritise, no time even say hello to Jude who sat down next to me, ha. Good tuning, reasonable height and starting with a baseline of no glaring tonality problem is an immediate plus for the future of the company. I would like slightly more width and also density overall but that is not necessarily "right" nor "correct". One of the reps also had a Sony DAP so reinforce they have a good ear :p

Hifiman Svanar: wired over wireless for sound quality and probably like more than IE 900 but that is guesswork. The wireless charging case is large, a unique shape and not really practical in my opinion. Would Apple, Sony or Samsung greenlight similar dimensions, but maybe that is the point... Wireless instantly paired with the DAP over LDAC and remained solid. Inappropriate for me to comment on the touch controls

Focal Bathys: if I was starting with a blank slate this would be a tempting "buy this and be done with it" purchase. Even over "lowly" aptX bluetooth to the DAP, the sound was clear, impactful and nothing "wrong". No idea if there are touch controls but really appreciate physical volume buttons

Oriolus Traillii JP: clearly top of the line but value is not there. Listened to the (I think) Penon Impact courtesy of the fellow head-fier in the next chair. The PI has 95% of the same sound for much lower cost

Unique Melody Mest III and Multiverse Mentor: first experience of the brand, both had exotic looking cables, unsure if stock. Balanced sound but bone conduction I think has been surpassed by other things at the show and would also like more air in the treble. I do not think either stood out

Noble Audio: The Sultan and Kublai Khan are both comfortably an upgrade on my original K10. With the flagships, I prefer the more detailed neutral Viking Ragnar over the richer Ronin (this is relative against each other). Others would swap the preference around. Both very spacious and if shopping in the flagship space would include on the candidate list, assuming you do not want custom fit (believe universal only) Edit: Noble say flagships available in custom fit. The "ha" that you heard is from your wallet

Empire Ears: pre-show concerns were premature. Hifonix stepped up. Odin: I really like it with the exception of the upper midrange forwardness. On some tracks it works on other tracks it is distracting. Mandatory demo before purchase. Legend Evo: I like this more than the Odin even though the Odin is a better overall IEM. Legend Evo does not hide from being for bass heads and yeah could do with more treble sparkle. These qualities are less annoying than the Odin upper midrange as it is "what it says on the tin". Raven: this is the real deal. Save up for this over Odin with the asterisk of universal fit only. More balance signature while keeping all the specialness of soundstage, detail and impact. A real shame that the design means a custom will likely never happen.

Lime Ears Anima: the new updated tuning was available to demo. I have not heard the original tuning. Fit was absolutely fine, nozzle balances nicely in the canal although the rest of the monitor is big (I would choose custom for myself). Will likely vary wearer to wearer. Pretty looking monitor and likely knows it! Immediate impression was a big soundstage, possibly the biggest "IEM stage" at the show. Impactful, detailed bass and sparkly treble. If I had more time would have tried to pin down the upper midrange ; is it a touch bright, needs more note weight or both

Team Singapore: knocking. it. out. of. the. park. The entire Elise Audio section had the best in ear monitors.

Elysian Acoustics: The Diva is fine but completely overshadowed by the Annihilator, which is easily top of the line sound for everything. This is not a useful report but I would hope nobody is buying based on this post. Also heard the sold-out, discontinued Annihilator X (I think) but not as an A/B. Mentioning this in case someone did conduct just that... (edit: I think the owner / the rep said they are from Malaysia, this is my oversight)

Subtonic: did not listen as understand same sound as 2022 show featuring a pre-launch demo and remains possibly the best sounding IEM in the world. My focus was on "not heard this before"

Elise Audio X Symphonium Helios SE: better improved fit and more natural tuning over the original would ordinarily be an easy, just do it recommend. Noting also only 50 units (I think) will be made, but...

Nightjar Acoustics Singularity: This is a single dynamic IEM that I understand is a recent release I would buy this over the Helios SE and nearly everything else at the show with the exception of 3-to-4 models (in IEM land). Similar pricing only more bass impact, natural and spacious. The best dynamic driver IEM at the show regardless of dynamic driver count

Nightjar Acoustics "Duality": unreleased, not official name, not yet final tuning. Two dynamic drivers. More technical and impactful sound. They were testing a "add 5db sub-bass" adaptor, which possibly should be illegal. I preferred without the adaptor mind ; additional sub-bass is personal preference. Interesting to find out what signature the final release will have and if there will be a 'user tunable sound'. This brand is making me rethink "only buy customs going forward", sigh...

Addendum 1:

Cayin N30LE DAP: out of action on day 2 afternoon. Something about a tube was broken. Unfortunate...

Lotoo Mjölnir: volume 50/100 provided a comfortable volume for the Audeze LCD-5, in show conditions. Focal Utopia is child's play. With IEM there was very slight hiss and grit to the background. We are talking incredibly minor that not possibly everyone will hear and could just be show conditions the power socket used not the player. Absolutely zero issues when playback begins and I mention it only because of the proposed price. Dislike the dip switches on the front, maybe need more time with it. Or just trust that alternative designs were ruled out during development for good reason(s). I dislike "select headphone plug output selector" on the front in that I really am that lazy. Also when changing track, you have to press the touchscreen or physical button for the secondary (non-touch) display to also update, see photograph. Presumably can be fixed by firmware

A fellow head-fier wrote they could only compare with full size headphones in show conditions. I used my custom 64 Audio's, which provides the necessary isolation from the show conditions. Marginally more spacious, detailed and defined over WM1Z. I think the SP3000 is a better buy in all honesty bearing in mind A&K show discount means you can save 50% or buy 2x SP3000 for one Lotoo Mjölnir

Addendum 2:

Anecdotally, saw a number of Chord Mojo (2) and Hugo (2) owners at the show with problems getting their setup to work at all. This reinforces my thinking a compact laptop or a DAP is essential to maximise shows

Addendum 3:

Forgot about the Yamaha YH5000SE special listening booth

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-london-2023-impressions-thread.969369/page-24#post-17700008

Attachments

• 20230820_133440.jpg
    20230820_133440.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230820_134314.jpg
    20230820_134314.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230820_135104.jpg
    20230820_135104.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #194 of 462
Just wanted to say a massive thanks and congratulations to the organisers, head-fi team, exhibitors and everyone else involved!:beerchug:

I consider myself lucky to be able to see so much across a vast range of headphone gear with virtually zero effort (not just because I live in London haha).

And I remember 10+ years ago when getting any pre-purchase demo was virtually impossible so I'd drive myself nuts by reading and re-reading reviews. Don't take these demo opportunities for granted!

Initially I actually went to troubleshoot my Focal and Abyss headphones, both with poor build quality. Focal in particular don't seem to consider a headband as an important part of their flagship headphones - the sheer amount of disturbingly creaky Stellias and Utopias even at the show was scary. And no, It's not wear and tear, but poor build quality and shoddy design.

But I was pleasantly surprised to see Ultimate Ears Pro have a stand. Was wondering a few weeks ago about how their new "UE Premier" flagship CIEM sounds. I highly rate my UE18+ Pro's from a sound perspective and design/fit/build/service perspective.
Tried the universal demo premier with a great reference point: the difference between my custom UE18+ and the universal demo UE18+
The guy at the stand was really cool, and had vast experience in this field which was interesting to hear about.
Most likely this is my next IEM!

Also enjoyed the Questyle stand - another cool guy!
I've used my CMA 12 Master almost daily for 4+ years. Definitely looking forward to their upcoming 18 Master which I had no idea existed until today.

Other points:
1) Free hotel WiFi was really good, consistent and fast all day long.
Don't remember it being this good in a few previous shows. Only a few demo rigs I came across had streaming problems, which probably wasn't because of the wifi

2) Rooms upstairs were well done
Filled with plenty of demo rigs, ZMF and DCS. Got to listen to loads of solid setups for my Abyss Dianas (which don't pair that well with the Questyle).
No shortage of headphones in the ZMF room :beyersmile:
And the DCS rigs were flawless and well put together!

Maybe one/two of the larger open-backed stands downstairs (like Audeze) could have got a room for better isolation
But I agree with an earlier poster here - too many rooms is a bad thing - some hi-fi shows I've been to are like games of hide and seek with 50+ rooms!

3) Demo headphone units were mostly pristine and the hall & rooms were all well air-conditioned
Didn't leave the show feeling like my hair stank of other peoples ear pad sweat! Lots of exhibitors used pristine demo units which was really nice to see.

4) Perfect amount of people vs demo rigs
Didn't need to queue for much and it was easy to get conversations in with exhibitors (difficult in busy shows such as Bristol hi-fi show)

5) Jude is an ocean of knowledge, a personal audio grand master!
Always learn a lot when being lucky enough to speak to people of this calibre :)

Again, thanks for putting this show on and hopefully see you all at the next CanJam London :thumbsup:
Questyle CMA 18 Master? Are you referring to the portable DAC/Amp? Or a desktop DAC/Amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back