Can-con 2 (Sydney 2012) Meet Impressions
Aug 19, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #46 of 89

It's funny how Vlad and John look like cybermen, and I look like a dalek.
Notice what the dynamic rig was attached to on the left....... K1000. Maybe I should hardwire them in.....

Just realised - That fire extinguisher is well placed for Tom's DIYT2 in case there were severe cooling problems......

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #49 of 89
Hello everyone~

I know our hearts are still recovering from the excitement of Can Con 2 (or is it the pizza that was consumed? And some of the members have already inquired about Can Con 3.

I know it is not until next year but I would welcome any suggestions.
(And I mean ANY suggestions:
 - duration - was 6 hours enough? time - A2A suggested that it would help them attending in the future if we held it to start earlier (say 9 o`clock) and finish early (say 7 o`clock),
 - the program of Can Con (any additional segment or structure to be added),
 - venue?
 - the registration fee? (was it reasonable?)
 - issue with current registration process and suggested alternatives?
 - plus ANY thing you would like to add. But please be constructive and not destructive.

Also, one member suggested that he would like to see Can Con 3 in the first half of 2013.

Kind Regards,
Paul

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #50 of 89
It was a really fun event. A big step up from the last year in terms of the number of equipment, but still with the good friendly interactive environment and great organization.

It's probably the only rare opportunity in Australia to try out all of these high end gear in A/B environment, in any configuration, with any source of your choice as you like it.

I was personally very impressed with nattonrice Stax implementations (really showed the difference between each variant cans) and drez AudioGd amp driving HD800 balanced.
I was also able to try out a bunch of cables on my HD800 and they really did make a big difference.
The latest gear brought over by AddictedToAudio were very tempting and makes me seriously consider some of them. I wish if they had a permanent outpost in Sydney...

Also, I was quite pleased that my tupperware Beyer A1 clone amp worked out quite well and a lot of people liked it over the Lehmann BCL, especially on the T1.

Aug 19, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #51 of 89
Quote:
Biggest disappointment for me unfortunately (or fortunately for my wallet) was the SR-009s out of the T2. I think a few people agreed that the treble was too hot on these things, either that or they are really picky with source material or need to be run in more. I much preferred the more laid back sounding 007 MK2s. I think I now understand why people like these paired with a Cavalli LL or a WES.

This exactly, I was seriously looking forward to hearing the SR-009s(based on price
eek.gif
) but just couldn't get past the treble, I thought the 007 MK2s
sounded superb with the T2 setup. Speaking of that DIY T2, it makes me wish I had my own CNC Mill - so many possibilities!
_

Monkee - No worries mate :wink: though you may need to try them again because in one of the meet photo's I noticed you had them on backwards, weird headphone design - it catches people lol.
_

Quote:
Also, I was quite pleased that my tupperware Beyer A1 clone amp worked out quite well and a lot of people liked it over the Lehmann BCL, especially on the T1.

Man that thing was cool
bigsmile_face.gif
(not literally, it got pretty hot), I was a little concerned as it's enclosure was a combustible material but the DIY cooling seemed effective
 and I thought it had a great sound!

Still so much I didn't get to try!.....next time

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #52 of 89
Look like a very good meet.  All the Stax should be a blast to listen to.

Can anyone from the meet comment on how the Victor/JVC DX1000 compares to the TH900.  I had listened to DX1000 once and quite like it, but never had a to compare both of them.  I would be very interested in your thought.

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #53 of 89
Quote:

Awesome pix and awesome meet. Got a question. Is this just a meet with members own products or were retailers/businesses there too promoting their products? I thought I saw some signage on some tables.

No one knows the answer to this?

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #54 of 89
We had addicted to audio, twisted cables, and a new iem upstart whose name escapes me.
Cameron from krispy kables was meant to be there but I don't think they made it.
The rest was members gear (the larger portion of the meet whic was good to see).

Edit: translucent audio was the other for memory.

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #55 of 89
Quote:
We had addicted to audio, twisted cables, and a new iem upstart whose name escapes me.
Cameron from krispy kables was meant to be there but I don't think they made it.
The rest was members gear (the larger portion of the meet whic was good to see).
Edit: translucent audio was the other for memory.

Thanks for the response nattonrice. So it was more a member/user event of which businesses were invited to rather than an industry sponsored event. In Tokyo, the events have been primarily industry sponsored.

Aug 20, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #57 of 89
Quote:

Thanks for the response nattonrice. So it was more a member/user event of which businesses were invited to rather than an industry sponsored event. In Tokyo, the events have been primarily industry sponsored.

Unfortunately, the size of the market do not allow us to hold industry sponsored convention. Geography and demography suggests this. Perhaps you should inquire about the humble beginnings of Tokyo conventions. I am sure this is how it all began and grew.
Perhaps and hopefully, in 10 years time, the population and with it the number of audiophiles would grow to accommodate such conventions. For now, however we are doing the best we can to nurture and grow our niche group. And I have confidence that Can Con is on the right track in facilitating that growth. By providing a channel for networking, and medium for vendors and consumer to communicate, as well as having elders (Erwin and John) share their knowledge and experiences our future looks bright~

Aug 20, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #58 of 89
Quote:
Hello everyone~

I know our hearts are still recovering from the excitement of Can Con 2 (or is it the pizza that was consumed? And some of the members have already inquired about Can Con 3.

I know it is not until next year but I would welcome any suggestions.
(And I mean ANY suggestions:
 - duration - was 6 hours enough? time - A2A suggested that it would help them attending in the future if we held it to start earlier (say 9 o`clock) and finish early (say 7 o`clock),
 - the program of Can Con (any additional segment or structure to be added),
 - venue?
 - the registration fee? (was it reasonable?)
 - issue with current registration process and suggested alternatives?
 - plus ANY thing you would like to add. But please be constructive and not destructive.

Also, one member suggested that he would like to see Can Con 3 in the first half of 2013.

Kind Regards,
Paul

I think even 8-10 hours might be a little better as overall I did not find the event too tiring, just the effort of packing and moving all my equipment out of the house, setting up on the day etc.  I probably lost about an hour setting everything up.

I would not mind starting earlier or if the main presentations were at around midday to make sure everyone has made it to the event.

For registration it may be easier if a form is drafted and people fill it out on the computer at home and deliver this registration form along with their ID on the day.

The venue was great, not too big and with enough conveniently located parking power outlets to make setting up fairly easy.  My gear did sound a bit voltage starved - I might need some a power filter/outlet with an IEC connector (my power cords are 2 meters and very heavy gauge which should be plenty for the power outlet).  I don't really use one of these at home though...

Registration fee was very reasonable for me at least.

Thanks for all the work organising the event this year, it is greatly appreciated.

Aug 20, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #60 of 89
Quote:

I loved the A1 clone!
There's so many of those woolworths snap lock boxes at my house... I've got some pretty funny ideas 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back