Can-con 2 (Sydney 2012) Meet Impressions
Aug 18, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #16 of 89

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #17 of 89
Loved, loved the PS-1...

But some headphones should only exist in dreams or else the world will collapse... So I might just keep dreaming...

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #18 of 89
Thanks to pkwak and syvr, as well as all the vendors, for making this Elysian Field of audio gear possible! :3

I listened to a lot of gear, and I wouldn't want to bore anyone with repeated one sentence reviews of: "Well that was great." I'm glad I finally got to tick most of the remaining headphones on my list of Must Listens though, including STAX (any STAX!), a modded HD800, the K1000, TH900, etc. In fact the only things left on my list are the Sony R10 / Qualia / PFR-V1 and the HE-500. Honestly, I was amazed at some of the gear (and how much of it) was on loving display. :]

I'm also glad that the veritable powerhouse of amps in one room did not wipe my hard drive or give me a mysterious throbbing headache. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

-a_recording: EX1000 - fanstastic, balanced, one of a kind earphone, superb bass, natural, articulate and textured midrage - not bright at all, at least not compared to its older brother the EX700
biggrin.gif
  JVC HA-FXC-71? - absolutely incredible value - fantastic midrange and treble, but a little tilted in the bass which sounds a little funny with classical (think big sub "XD)  I hope they introduce a flat FR model soon.  I wonder if these can be tuned/modified?
evil_smiley.gif

Yes, the EX1000 is a real gem and possibly the last of its breed. As for the JVC, thats FXD80 - tuning is possible but I think another great improvement would be better quality control and channel matching that comes from higher prices. The thread about them is here!

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #19 of 89
Awesome meet, and awesome pics guys.

It was good to see some familiar faces again, and also to meet a few new ones.

Highlights of the meet were of course the T2, that is one sexy amp both in terms of looks and sound. Real nice work on that one Tom. And also Wink's crazy collection of headphones. I always knew he had lots of headphones, but never had the chance to see them on the one table. It was good fun to see how people reacted to his collection.

For my personally I thought the K1000s were the best out of wink's bunch (and probably out of the whole meet). Wasn't the biggest fan of the LCDs or Hifimans. I heard the T1s for the first time, and actually preferred them over the 2 orthos from my brief audition, but that may have to do with them having a beyerdynamic house sound I'm more accustomed to. If you like the DT-880s I think there's a good chance you will like the T1s.

The Fostex TH900s are a real fun sounding headphone, not sure If the price is justifiable though, and I'm also not too sure about the WA22 pairing, I should have tried them an another amp, oh well!

Ultrasone Edition 8s weren't to my liking at all. They sounded very unrefined, metallic and thin. I'm not sure how ultrasone have the balls to charge the price they do for these phones...

Also got to do a real short A/B test with the Audiophilleo 2 with and without the Pure power out of Drez's rig, we both agreed that the Pure power cleaned things up noticeably. Looks like I need to send mine in for an upgrade, DERP!

Tralucent audio's Hybrid IEM sounded shockingly good. I was really impressed with how good they sound for an iem. Real fun sounding phone with nice bass responsys that doesn't overshadow or creep into the mids, which I don't think I've ever heard before (Although I must admit I haven't heard any iems in this price range). I also thought the midrange on these was uncoloured and produced very accurate tone too. It's good to know they are coming up with their own designs that challenge the norm.

Biggest disappointment for me unfortunately (or fortunately for my wallet) was the SR-009s out of the T2. I think a few people agreed that the treble was too hot on these things, either that or they are really picky with source material or need to be run in more. I much preferred the more laid back sounding 007 MK2s. I think I now understand why people like these paired with a Cavalli LL or a WES.

Also, thanks pkwak and svyr for organizing the meet! Also learn how to catch public transport svyr :wink: 

Aug 19, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #20 of 89
>The Fostex TH900s are a real fun sounding headphone, not sure If the price is justifiable though, and I'm also not too sure about the WA22 pairing, I should have tried them an another amp, oh well!

they were pretty good out of the solid state DAC amp. (the really small oversized USB key looking one). But yea, expensive. Fostex must be annoyed at denon to start undercutting them. I kinda like the way D7000 looks more.

>For my personally I thought the K1000s were the best out of wink's bunch

I've heard the bass-heavy pair that he owns before and it's very very nice. (out of wink's worse amp it sounded like a funner version of SR-507)

>Also learn how to catch public transport svyr :wink: 

and find places even when having a map. (I should fix the GPS on my phone - it reboots if I run google maps after I root uninstalled some things). My overriding navigation principle is - sometimes I here, sometimes I there, sometimes I nowhar. (probabilistic navigation via a random walk and backtracking. - Worked well before when not crippled, works less well and much slower now :D )

>fact the only things left on my list are the Sony R10 / Qualia / PFR-V1

haha. yea... I don't know about PFR-V1 though. The whole tube in ear for bass response thing... and probable bass response issues?

>Yes, the EX1000 is a real gem and possibly the last of its breed.

man you guys killing me there :D . should've unglued myself from the other stands to have a listen :frowning2:

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #22 of 89
Quote:
>fact the only things left on my list are the Sony R10 / Qualia / PFR-V1
haha. yea... I don't know about PFR-V1 though. The whole tube in ear for bass response thing... and probable bass response issues?
>Yes, the EX1000 is a real gem and possibly the last of its breed.
man you guys killing me there
biggrin.gif
. should've unglued myself from the other stands to have a listen
frown.gif

Yeah, the PFR-V1 is a matter of curiosity more than anything else. You deff should have partaken in the EX1000's manifold pleasures, I'm considering getting the EX800 / 7550 now hah.

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #24 of 89
Quote:
Biggest disappointment for me unfortunately (or fortunately for my wallet) was the SR-009s out of the T2. I think a few people agreed that the treble was too hot on these things, either that or they are really picky with source material or need to be run in more. I much preferred the more laid back sounding 007 MK2s. I think I now understand why people like these paired with a Cavalli LL or a WES.

This really sums up what I felt personally about the 009.
I think John noticed the same thing.

On the first listen I thought it was just the top end which was what I didn't like (I found it rather piercing, similar to how I react to the he60).
But on subsequent trials throughout the evening I felt there was also something funky down low too.
Not being the best word smith I guess the best I can conjure is: meh.

Pretty upsetting because I was so excited to hear them 
redface.gif

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #25 of 89
On the bright side (pun not intended hoho!) I guess we don't need to worry about buying a pair.

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #26 of 89
What model was the stax lambda that was present yesterday?

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #27 of 89
What model was the stax lambda that was present yesterday?

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #28 of 89
There were a SR202, A Lambda Nova Signature and a 404LE of mine there.

Ryan (caution) had his SR507's there too. lovely Lambda.

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #29 of 89
Pretty sure that Caution had/has 507's.
I'll post some pics later ron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back