Campfire - Solaris
Feb 16, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #10,937 of 12,035
Has anyone here experienced ThieAudio's much hyped Monarch or Clairvoyance? I'm curious how they compare to Solaris.

I've heard the Solaris 2020 and Monarch. They have very different presentations. Monarch is much cleaner, dry, and sterile in its presentation; Solaris 2020 is warm, colored, and almost gooey by contrast. I'd go for the Solaris 2020 if you don't really like a strong upper-midrange and prefer some more weight to male vocals. Treble-wise, I could see it going either way. Monarch is a tad smoother, more lower-to-mid treble emphasized, whereas the Solaris 2020 extends further. Imaging is much better - holographic - on the Solaris 2020, which I'd say is a weak point of the Monarch. Still, the Monarch is the better IEM on paper and when it comes to value. The tuning is more balanced and it's slightly more technical overall; you're just going to trade some engagement factor. Hope this helps!

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #10,938 of 12,035
I've heard the Solaris 2020 and Monarch. They have very different presentations. Monarch is much cleaner, dry, and sterile in its presentation; Solaris 2020 is warm, colored, and almost gooey by contrast. I'd go for the Solaris 2020 if you don't really like a strong upper-midrange and prefer some more weight to male vocals. Treble-wise, I could see it going either way. Monarch is a tad smoother, more lower-to-mid treble emphasized, whereas the Solaris 2020 extends further. Imaging is much better - holographic - on the Solaris 2020, which I'd say is a weak point of the Monarch. Still, the Monarch is the better IEM on paper and when it comes to value. The tuning is more balanced and it's slightly more technical overall; you're just going to trade some engagement factor. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the comparison. I'm using OG Solaris for almost 2 years now and I AM looking for a new sound signature to try. I'll stick to my OG for now as I'm exploring new options such as UM MEST too.

Feb 16, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #10,940 of 12,035
What sound signature would you like to try now?
I'd describe solaris as an IEM with relatively balanced sound. I'm looking for something a bit more V or U shaped, not necessarily much more treble as I'm sensitive to it and cant withstand Beyer cans but a little more slam in the bass.

Feb 16, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #10,942 of 12,035
Isn't MEST kind of just that for you?
Yeah I figured it could be. I saw the discount on Musicteck and was going to jump on it until I saw some people having fit issues with Int. universal version and I thought maybe I could save for (considerably more expensive) custom model to be my first CIEM.

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #10,944 of 12,035
I'd describe solaris as an IEM with relatively balanced sound. I'm looking for something a bit more V or U shaped

I'm looking at getting ahold of CFA's new Dorado 2020 for precisely that reason.

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #10,946 of 12,035
HI All,

Just a quick heads up, we have a limited supply of all black "Flower" lid edition Solaris for sale. This model is my personal favorite IEM we currently make a CFA, of course to each his own but these are my current reference go to's. Please if your in the market for a top of the line CFA IEM, this is it. Oh it also come with our new "Pilot" DAC cable, works with Mac, PC, iPhone and Android.

Purchase here:

https://www.aloaudio.com/shop/solaris-limited-edition-2020/

This review I think just went live.

https://ear-fidelity.com/2021/02/14/campfire-audio-solaris-limited-edition/

Thank you,

Ken

Last edited:
Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 19, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #10,948 of 12,035
Someone in this thread recommended JDS labs to me for my Solaris OG.
Got the Element full stack EL DAC II + EL AMP II, really nice for my OG
Got great bass response, clarity and soundspace.
Thanks guys!!

Feb 20, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #10,949 of 12,035
Someone in this thread recommended JDS labs to me for my Solaris OG.
Got the Element full stack EL DAC II + EL AMP II, really nice for my OG
Got great bass response, clarity and soundspace.
Thanks guys!!
Yeah it's a great combo with zero hiss and fantastic performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back