Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
May 24, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #1,201 of 9,829
Anyway Ken should take noted for incoming new design in future, we already high lighted the shell edges should do something softer cornered.
Otherwise would be hurt those smaller ears.
There is quite sharper like a knife can easily cut though internal side of ears, it there was improper wears for longer hours.

Edit :
For myself were used the Alo sxc24 cable will solved the problem, cause there was slightly harder for memory wire and bend out my ears profile to hold it as well.
Otherwise I would used sand paper for soften myself, just sad like warranty void.

Otherwise there's user friendly for those smaller ear.
Just highlight my trued voice here.

Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

KimD,

Noted, however I would not say the shells are anything remotely like a knife. But again yes I am listening, changes take some time.

Thank you KimD

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
May 24, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #1,202 of 9,829
KimD,

Noted, however I would not say the shells are anything remotely like a knife. But again yes I am listening, changes take some time.

Thank you KimD

Anyway not all time will feel that pain for my ear, just sometime when never wear it in proper way or my shell slightly roll off would be felt that impact my ears side, must be do re-adjusted until get it right.

Sorry to share my opinion only :)
Hope will get it fine.

Thanks

May 24, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #1,203 of 9,829
Not sure if it is possible but would be nice if there were S-versions of the Campfire lineup, similar to what InEars did with their Stagediver-series.
As much as I like the sound of all Campfire-models I was able to try so far, they are too big for my ears to wear them comfortably over longer time.  

May 24, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #1,204 of 9,829

I think its not about balanced vs unbalanced, but rather that when you compare the balanced vs the unbalanced outputs of a particular amp, the amp is often (not always) optimised for balanced resulting in a better (different) sound for balanced.

At the very least, there is no way a balanced amp can have the same circuit as an unbalanced amp so i dont think its about balanced being better, rather that they are just different designs to start with, each design with its own set of advantages and disadvantages.

That's about right. And a lot of balanced outputs are actually pretty poorly wired. But people still like them. Which is to say: like what you like, dislike what you don't. 

May 25, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #1,205 of 9,829

That's about right. And a lot of balanced outputs are actually pretty poorly wired. But people still like them. Which is to say: like what you like, dislike what you don't. 

I still don't get the necessity of using balanced cable for IEMs. It's a psychological thing I guess. For headphones I can still understand, but most un-modded portable gear don't have very good balanced output in terms of power & THD. 

May 25, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #1,206 of 9,829
  I still don't get the necessity of using balanced cable for IEMs. It's a psychological thing I guess. For headphones I can still understand, but most un-modded portable gear don't have very good balanced output in terms of power & THD. 

I agree. The only real benefit I've been able to measure is stereo separation, but at volumes at which I listen I hear no difference not supplied by what I assume is simple expectation.

May 25, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #1,207 of 9,829

It is not the balanced technology itself, but the amplification section topology as I understand it. In many DAPs out there, when going balanced the amp section is more powerful (in terms of vrms), the path is different. I think it is artificial and annoying, because it is possible to do great SE (Mojo, Lotoo Paw Gold, etc.) so why annoy users.

May 25, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #1,208 of 9,829
It is not the balanced technology itself, but the amplification section topology as I understand it. In many DAPs out there, when going balanced the amp section is more powerful (in terms of vrms), the path is different. I think it is artificial and annoying, because it is possible to do great SE (Mojo, Lotoo Paw Gold, etc.) so why annoy users.

Exactly, it's a completely different amp altogether, you can't just say that they're the balanced and single ended versions of the same amplifier. Optimisation for each design has to occur

May 25, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #1,210 of 9,829
A balanced amplifier will have approximately twice the voltage swing as the same amp with SE output as both + and - are actively driven rather than just the + in a SE output. There are also separate grounds (requiring 4 leads to the transducers) This effectively eliminates crosstalk that cab be present in 3 conductor wiring. Whether this is something that presents an audible issue is up to the individual user and their specific phones.

It has been my experience with my balanced amps and phones that soundstage and imaging tend to be more stable than from the SE output (from the same amp). I can't say as I have noticed any major differences in tonality or timbre.

My impressions only and as always, YMMV!

May 25, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #1,211 of 9,829
A balanced amplifier will have approximately twice the voltage swing as the same amp with SE output as both + and - are actively driven rather than just the + in a SE output. There are also separate grounds (requiring 4 leads to the transducers) This effectively eliminates crosstalk that cab be present in 3 conductor wiring. Whether this is something that presents an audible issue is up to the individual user and their specific phones.

It has been my experience with my balanced amps and phones that soundstage and imaging tend to be more stable than from the SE output (from the same amp). I can't say as I have noticed any major differences in tonality or timbre.

My impressions only and as always, YMMV!

I think the argument so far has been that in an amp designed to be driven balanced, using its balanced output will always sounds better than using its SE output (since it's designed to be driven balanced).

Between two well designed amp (one designed specifically to be driven balanced while the other specifically to be driven SE only), it is difficult to say which is superior (since both are different amp and could sound equally good).

On paper at least, balanced amp seems to look better. In actual practice however, nobody knows.

May 25, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #1,212 of 9,829
Believe me do with better SE upgrade cable definitely sounds are better than used low grade cable for balanced output :D

Here were the sample for how they designed, I dunno much... whatever for me will do better just go an upgraded cable will do.

B55C1023-7EB8-4940-85F6-861B35337B0A_zpsuwkcp1om.jpg

May 25, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #1,213 of 9,829

trying out balanced output with the Campfire Audio Jupiter and the Opus#1 at the moment.

I will switch cables with the Andromeda later.

Its a new unit so may need to get a few more hours on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back