Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 8, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #14,671 of 19,138

I have always found streaming to sound worse than my FM tuner on a good station.

That's just it - on a good station. Those are few and far between and very rarely close enough to get a good signal. I set up multiple Pandora "Radio Stations" and I get a good sounding stream of my favorite types of music.

I do remember listening to great live broadcasts and jazz stations on my tuner back in the '70's. I had an FM-specific roof antenna then. Unfortunately, those stations have been taken over and now play classic rock, smooth jazz or adult-pablum-rock. Sad.

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #14,672 of 19,138
We are pretty lucky here in Rochester NY (especially if you like Jazz or Classical).  Three excellent stations to choose from.

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #14,673 of 19,138

I'm in the extreme suburbs of NYC.  It's a wasteland up here.  Even if you just want to hear a traffic report you have to listen to all the local birthdays, then commercials, then junk music like '80s Hall and Oates, then you might get the traffic - and it might be up to date.

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #14,674 of 19,138
I want to drive the HE-6 with my Marantz 1060B in the speaker output. Do you think it worth the price and the time to buy the Hifiman adapter cable for speaker amp? 

Do you know if the 1060 have a better sounding than the 1060B.

Yes - the 1060 is 30 wpc into 8 ohms, so the combination of the power deliver into 50 ohms plus the dropping resistor means that the headphone out probably won't deliver as good a sound with the HE-6 as the speaker cables will.

I don't know about the difference between the 1060 and the 1060B, hopefully one one else here does.

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #14,675 of 19,138
  I want to drive the HE-6 with my Marantz 1060B in the speaker output. Do you think it worth the price and the time to buy the Hifiman adapter cable for speaker amp? 

Do you know if the 1060 have a better sounding than the 1060B.

Having tried the HFM adapter box (is that what you are saying?) I would go straight to speaker taps...............HE-6 cable to adapter straight to the B speaker tap.  I tried headphone out, then HFM box, then taps and the difference was stark.  Stuck with speaker taps and can not believe how good the sound was out of them! 

Jul 8, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #14,676 of 19,138

I have always found streaming to sound worse than my FM tuner on a good station.

I stream a lot in my car and some at home. Streaming can sound really good through Pandora. Even more so if you pay for their service.

Audio Quality
Pandora on the Web plays 64k AAC+ for free listeners and 192kbps for Pandora One subscribers. All in-home devices play 128kbps audio, and mobile devices receive a variety of different rates depending on the capability of the device and the network they are on, but never more than 64k AAC+.

I've been nothing but impressed with pandora's music quality considering it is a streaming service.

That said I still like having a tuner to listen to my local stations. (Though I can stream those too but choose not to.)

Jul 8, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #14,677 of 19,138
The funny thing is, the Kenwood is fine. It was the beginning of a nasty ear infection lol. Been eyeing the Sphinx for a while now though, and may still pull the trigger.

If you do you will definitely not be disappointed. In addition as you know the unit is a hybrid with a tube preamp section and solid state amplifier section. In essence you have the best of both worlds.
If I were still using passive speakers(I have moved on to active speakers the last few years and I am never going back to passive designs) the rogue would prove to be a stellar unit offering sound quality way beyond  its modest price.

Jul 8, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #14,678 of 19,138
 If you do you will definitely not be disappointed. In addition as you know the unit is a hybrid with a tube preamp section and solid state amplifier section. In essence you have the best of both worlds.
If I were still using passive speakers(I have moved on to active speakers the last few years and I am never going back to passive designs) the rogue would prove to be a stellar unit offering sound quality way beyond  its modest price.

That's what got me looking at it in the first place. I love hybrids. The warmth of tubes with the punch of solid state. That's why I use a tube dac. Already drooling over what it might sound like with nos amperex or mullard tubes...

Jul 10, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #14,679 of 19,138
As my ears get better, the Kenwood kr-7600 is sounding better and better. I'd say the signature is on the warmer side of neutral and is pairing up nicely with my dahlquist dq-20's. It plays exceptionally well with my tube dac through a nos amperex 7308 with Flac and hi res files.
Not alot of Kenwood love here lately, but I'm impressed and would recommend this receiver to anyone interested in vintage gear.

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #14,680 of 19,138
Kenwood is loved here in SoCal 
wink.gif

Had always wanted the 9600...

In other news...

...wandered into my storage unit today to retrieve a couple of very small items. And had to move a lot big items out the way first! 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 13, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #14,681 of 19,138
Hey everyone. This is still a really great thread that i keep coming back to.
I missed the Fisher 500c a while ago, but now have a coupke options and I'm not sure what to choose, so some help would be great.
Fisher X-101d vs. Sherwood 8000iv.
Both unrestored but in good condition. Fisher is more expensive. FM is nice but not necessary.
I listen mostly to rock, but also to many other things such as jazz and classical. Will be using my HD800's and the source is PC > AK120 as DAC.
I couldn't find too much on this Fisher but it is supposed to be very similar to the X-101c. The Sherwood is supposed to have the amp section of the S5500.
I'll probably audition both, but wondering what you guys think.
According to the Fisher seller, the X-101d and the 500c sound very similar, although the 500c has slightly higher output, not that it matters too much to me.
Any advice or opinion (other than the obvious auditioning one) would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Jul 14, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #14,682 of 19,138

Haven't posted in this thread in a while. Know this is nothing new or unusual, but picked up this gem the other day. Ignore the price sticker. I get a discount at the thrift where I got it for $38.

Fully functioning but has a slightly high DC offset in the left channel and some low level noise that needs to be looked after. Pulls in stations like a champ.

Going to use it in the bedroom with a pair of re-furbed Epicure Model 5's. It drives the hell out of my AKG K401's. No thin bass anymore and the dual power supplies really do wonders for the soundstage.

Jul 14, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #14,684 of 19,138
So, I auditioned the Fisher today. It sounds quite amazing. The bass and the mids are simply stunning. In Getz/Gilberto The Girl from Ipanema, it sounded as if Joao Gilberto was singing in my ear. 
The highs though were very rolled off and and not impressive. I'm not sure if it is the way the amp is, or because it needs a recap, or the combination of both.
There was a slight hum in the background, but I recall someone saying that once restored, the 500C (I'm using that as a reference for the X-101 D) was dead quiet.
Any input from any Fisher owners here would be most welcome. If someone wants to chime in on the Fisher vs Sherwood, that'd also be great. I'm looking for transparent and neutral sound.

Jul 14, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #14,685 of 19,138
Not sure about the Fisher, no experience there. Beautiful selection with the aforementioned track and I've experience with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back