Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 17, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #14,701 of 19,139

I got the amp yesterday with a free equalizer and tuner that I will probably sell but I do hear some crackle on the headphone stage and I feel like it's too tinny on the highs with the LCD-X. I'm having it looked at tomorrow by the guys that serviced my DAC but I wonder if they could lower the impedance of the headphone jack to accommodate the X's 20 ohm impedance?

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #14,702 of 19,139
Hi,

I'm asking for help from the members who have owned or own the Pioneer receivers I'm looking at.  I want to buy one of them.

I'm presently looking at the following Pioneers :

-SX680

-SX780

-SX850

Two questions : 

1-) Can they all drive high impedance HPs ? e.g. HD6xx & HD800 ?

2-) Which of these three has the best detailed sound & soundstage ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #14,703 of 19,139
Of those, the best will be the SX-850. With both the SX-x50 and -x80 series, the 850/880 was where the first big step up in build quality happens. So assuming they're all in roughly the same condition, the 850 would be the way to go of those three. Any of them would drive high impedance cans well.

I still have a SX-680 in my bedroom and it's a nice little receiver too.

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #14,704 of 19,139

Thanks Skylab, much appreciated. 
smile_phones.gif

Jul 17, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #14,705 of 19,139
I bought an Onkyo HT-R330 today for very cheap, and my laptop won't recognize the device. It was able to recognize my old DAC/AMP when plugged in, but from the headphone out to RCA of the Onkyo, I get nothing. Any help?

Jul 17, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #14,706 of 19,139
  I bought an Onkyo HT-R330 today for very cheap, and my laptop won't recognize the device. It was able to recognize my old DAC/AMP when plugged in, but from the headphone out to RCA of the Onkyo, I get nothing. Any help?

Your computer shouldn't "recognize" it as a device like it would with a DAC, you should just be able to play music as if headphones were plugged into the jack. If you have the input selected correctly on the receiver and aren't hearing anything, you may just have a very weak headphone output on your computer or something might be faulty with your cable or the receiver's RCA input.

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #14,707 of 19,139
Your computer shouldn't "recognize" it as a device like it would with a DAC, you should just be able to play music as if headphones were plugged into the jack. If you have the input selected correctly on the receiver and aren't hearing anything, you may just have a very weak headphone output on your computer or something might be faulty with your cable or the receiver's RCA input.

The RCA cable and input is fine, it works as it should set up the exact same way except plugged into my phone and not my laptop, I must have a reeeally weak headphone out on my laptop, because I'm not hearing a thing no matter how far I turn the volume up

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #14,709 of 19,139
This may be a question better asked elsewhere, but I thought I'd start here since it seem we have a diverse and knowledgeable group when it comes to vintage receivers/amps. Does anyone here have an idea of what the first receiver that came with a remote? I'm guessing sometime in the 80's but I haven't been able to find much in my searching (could be a problem with the terms I'm using). 

I have a Kenwood KR-V7070 which came out in the mid 90's for my garage system, but I'd like to find something a little nicer/vintage that has a remote or at least has the capability of being controlled by one. 

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #14,710 of 19,139
  This may be a question better asked elsewhere, but I thought I'd start here since it seem we have a diverse and knowledgeable group when it comes to vintage receivers/amps. Does anyone here have an idea of what the first receiver that came with a remote? I'm guessing sometime in the 80's but I haven't been able to find much in my searching (could be a problem with the terms I'm using). 

I have a Kenwood KR-V7070 which came out in the mid 90's for my garage system, but I'd like to find something a little nicer/vintage that has a remote or at least has the capability of being controlled by one. 

A great option is what I have on three different non-remote vintage systems - get a Chase RLC-1 remote setup off eBay, hooked up to your system it gives you volume control as well as can act as a preamp with tone controls.  I've paid between $150 and $180 for my collection.  Worth it and I'd never change. 

Purists would say you're adding another source of "noise" to the audio chain but from A/Bing with the Chase on and off (simply flipping the tape monitor switch on and off allows me to go back and forth) I can't notice a bit of degradation of sound.  Think it's a great solution for vintage (as I'm too lazy to get up to adjust the volume!).

Jul 18, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #14,712 of 19,139
My remote is 6 years old with voice recognition and not only can adjust the volume in small increments but can adjust the lighting in my room for mood and grab me a drink from the fridge. She's my favorite remote system I have used and she's my daughter.

Jul 20, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #14,714 of 19,139
This might be the best thread yet. Been reading it for 2 weeks now, and am on page 624. I'm totally SOLD!
I've read both the lyr tube rolling threads , in their entirety, and have to say, this thread is easily tops , at the best sellers list. LOL
I've spent ridiculous amounts of money on tubes for my lyr over the last several months. With what I've spent, I could have a collection of these beauties, in this thread.
The hunt is on no doubt.
Back to reading. I'll be sure to post pics and thoughts on my first purchase.

Cheers folks!
:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back