Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 4, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #14,656 of 19,138
I have a roof top antenna mainly because the two stations I care about (both Jazz/Blues) are weak and I live behind a hill.  That said it has worked out well and both stations come in very nicely.

Jul 4, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #14,657 of 19,138
guys pls help me choose.

i have 5 options.
sansui 6600
sansui 417
pioneer 828
kenwood kr9400
McIntosh ma5100 (i think its the best option but i want to know if anyone here got experience with it)  

looking for the most natural relaxed sound, but that still got the Integrated sound (thats why im not sure about the McIntosh)
i have the kenwood KA405 right now but mids\treble is way too "loud" for me.  

Jul 5, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #14,658 of 19,138
If it was me, I'd go with the big Kenwood. In fact, it's the biggest receiver they built with gobs of power. I have the KR5400 and I think it's quite smooth without anything sounding too forward. Granted, the sound of different receivers from the same line can and probably will be different, but it's hard to say for sure. The McIntosh would probably be the next choice for me, depending on the price and condition. 

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #14,659 of 19,138
If it was me, I'd go with the big Kenwood. In fact, it's the biggest receiver they built with gobs of power. I have the KR5400 and I think it's quite smooth without anything sounding too forward. Granted, the sound of different receivers from the same line can and probably will be different, but it's hard to say for sure. The McIntosh would probably be the next choice for me, depending on the price and condition. 

thanks.
so i think i will try 9400 first, hope it got good headphones output as well

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #14,660 of 19,138
I'm noticing a channel imbalance at certain points on the volume pot on my Kenwood kr-7600. For example, at 2 its centered, at 3-4 its a little off to the left, at 5-6 a little closer to center, at 6-7 its OK again. There is no static or crackling from the pot. What do you guys think? Should I spray it with de-oxit? Or do you think the pot is bad? Any advice would be appreciated.

Jul 5, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #14,661 of 19,138
I'm noticing a channel imbalance at certain points on the volume pot on my Kenwood kr-7600. For example, at 2 its centered, at 3-4 its a little off to the left, at 5-6 a little closer to center, at 6-7 its OK again. There is no static or crackling from the pot. What do you guys think? Should I spray it with de-oxit? Or do you think the pot is bad? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry - it looks like you will have to change the pot.

It is a very common phenomenon - because serious pots cost serious money. Always did, always will. In vintage gear, there is additional problem - usually, original pot will be smaller in physical size than modern day equivalent you can buy. I would suggest Alps pots - as they are sweet spot in price/performance ratio and are reasonably available.

If you want, you can go crazy with pot(s) - like around 1K$ crazy. But by then, channel imbalance due to pot should be long ago inaudible.

Jul 5, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #14,662 of 19,138
Thanks man. I may leave the club and buy a new integrated. I'm an electro-mechanical tech by trade, and really don't feel like working on stuff on my time off. Its not fun to me anymore, just want to kick back and enjoy the music. Thinking about a Rogue Audio Sphinx. Tube pre amp, 100 watt a channel ss amp with a very nice phono stage. A warranty is sounding kind of nice about now lol

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #14,663 of 19,138
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
  I have a roof top antenna mainly because the two stations I care about (both Jazz/Blues) are weak and I live behind a hill.  That said it has worked out well and both stations come in very nicely.

What kind of antenna did you use to get a better sound?

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #14,665 of 19,138
I sold all my tuners and now take the line out from my Samsung Tab 2 running Pandora or an on-line radio broadcast and plug it into the tuner input of my pre-amp.  Sound is much better and far fewer commercials.

Jul 8, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #14,666 of 19,138
Thanks man. I may leave the club and buy a new integrated. I'm an electro-mechanical tech by trade, and really don't feel like working on stuff on my time off. Its not fun to me anymore, just want to kick back and enjoy the music. Thinking about a Rogue Audio Sphinx. Tube pre amp, 100 watt a channel ss amp with a very nice phono stage. A warranty is sounding kind of nice about now lol

The rogue sphinx is a excellent choice. It offers a lot of bang for the buck and can power even difficult speakers with no issues whatsoever. Plus it has a dedicated headphone amp ckt as well. It also has excellent build quality. In fact it hits way above its modest price.

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #14,667 of 19,138
 The rogue sphinx is a excellent choice. It offers a lot of bang for the buck and can power even difficult speakers with no issues whatsoever. Plus it has a dedicated headphone amp ckt as well. It also has excellent build quality. In fact it hits way above its modest price.

The funny thing is, the Kenwood is fine. It was the beginning of a nasty ear infection lol. Been eyeing the Sphinx for a while now though, and may still pull the trigger.

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #14,668 of 19,138
I want to drive the HE-6 with my Marantz 1060B in the speaker output. Do you think it worth the price and the time to buy the Hifiman adapter cable for speaker amp? 

Do you know if the 1060 have a better sounding than the 1060B.

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #14,669 of 19,138

What kind of antenna did you use to get a better sound?

I don't remember the brand.  But it is one of those small VHF/UHF rooftops.  I also have a channel master amp on it - which did help quite a bit.

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #14,670 of 19,138
  I sold all my tuners and now take the line out from my Samsung Tab 2 running Pandora or an on-line radio broadcast and plug it into the tuner input of my pre-amp.  Sound is much better and far fewer commercials.

I have always found streaming to sound worse than my FM tuner on a good station.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back