Buying my first audiophile grade headphones need some help please :)
Aug 23, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #46 of 88
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00F4P7NG0/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Here. Check the first 2 vendors and you'll see both deliver worldwide, one for free, the other for $20.

Same goes for the X1s. Register at Amazon.com, input your address and you should see plenty of them having Free Shipping.

At this point, I would recommend the X1s. Simply because it's more fun, the L2s are amazing on a technical level, but if it's pure enjoyment the X1s would be better, especially for a newbie.

ok i will try but i tried to buy other stuff from amazon.com as a test earlier and they said they do not ship to canada (i tested buying the hd700's and HD650/HD600)

Aug 23, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #47 of 88
ok i will try but i tried to buy other stuff from amazon.com as a test earlier and they said they do not ship to canada (i tested buying the hd700's and HD650/HD600)

Depends on the seller. Here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/sp.html/ref=olp_merch_name_2?ie=UTF8&a=B00F4P7NG0&s=A2AI04WBBTFRQF&t=shipping

Canada has free shipping, this is for the L2, but pretty sure you can find one for the X1

Aug 23, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #48 of 88
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00F4P7NG0/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Here. Check the first 2 vendors and you'll see both deliver worldwide, one for free, the other for $20.

Same goes for the X1s. Register at Amazon.com, input your address and you should see plenty of them having Free Shipping.

At this point, I would recommend the X1s. Simply because it's more fun, the L2s are amazing on a technical level, but if it's pure enjoyment the X1s would be better, especially for a newbie.

Ok Thanks a bunch! it looks like it will work and i will most likely be getting the X1's i like they way they look and they look very comfy and i just watched a youtube review on them saying how unique and fun they sound, but in the review he says the cable sucks and to replace it with a better cable did you do that? or are you still using the same cable that they came with it? Heres the video i watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ejysLml9to

Also should i buy the Schiit Magni and Modi for these to sound awesome?

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #49 of 88

Ok so buying the X1s on amazon.com looks like it works says it will cost 
343.07 with shipping ​
but not sure how much money i will have to spend on taxes i may also have to convert the dollars into canadian so they might be alot more not sure how that will all work

But i think i will get the X1s also you said to get a Schiit Magni and Modi along with them correct?

I also saw a review on the X1s on youtube saying that the cable is not good and to buy a new one to make it sound better have you experienced anything like this on your X1s? or heard anything about the cable sucking?

The cable have higher impedance than normal, they don't exactly "suck" but they could be better. I've actually had a few of my friends prefer the stock over my new cable, so I'd suggest getting the X1 and Magni/Modi stack and try them together before jumping to any conclusions.

You could consider using a proxy to forward the headphones to you. The cheapest on amazon was $264.99, even with the extra shipping it would still be cheaper than buying it directly from the shop you listed above. Should also save on import tax and GST if overal price of said item is lower.

I would recommended making sure just how much you would have to pay in taxes before hitting buy. No point saving just to get hit with a $90 bill, might as well just buy from amazon.ca if that's the case.

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #50 of 88
Ok so i am on the schiit website to see how much the magni and modi will cost me and it wants me to select a Adapter type i can pick from 115V USA Plug / 230V Europlug / 230V UK Plug / 230V Australian Plug not sure what all this means lol and for the modi it wants me to select AC adapter and Usb or optical im asuming i want usb?

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #51 of 88
Canada and USE uses the same plugs so choose the USA plug, and yes, the USB option since you will be plugging it into your PC

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #52 of 88
  Ok so i am on the schiit website to see how much the magni and modi will cost me and it wants me to select a Adapter type i can pick from 115V USA Plug / 230V Europlug / 230V UK Plug / 230V Australian Plug not sure what all this means lol and for the modi it wants me to select AC adapter and Usb or optical im asuming i want usb?

which part of the globe is your bed located? :p

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #53 of 88
Ok i am redoing this post now LOL

So what does the Magni and Modi do i know that the Magni is an amp and amps just power the headphone and make them sound louder or what does it actually do, and what does the modi do?

this is what the magni says Magni is the only fully discrete headphone amp under $100 that is made in the USA. Delivering 1.2W of power into 32 ohms, Magni is ready for virtually any headphone—including many hard-to-drive orthodynamic models. does this mean that they can only power 32 ohm headphones and nothing higher?

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #55 of 88
In not so many words

We mostly store information in digital bits on out PC, CDs or DAPS. The DAC translates the digital info into analog signals, which the amplifier then makes "louder", strong enough to drive Headphones/Speakers/whatever.

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #56 of 88
  In not so many words

We mostly store information in digital bits on out PC, CDs or DAPS. The DAC translates the digital info into analog signals, which the amplifier then makes "louder", strong enough to drive Headphones/Speakers/whatever.

Ok thanks! much appreciated you are a big help man. Also the Magni is only for 32 ohm or lower headphones right? meaning i wont be able to use this amp for anything higher than 32 ohm headphones correct?

The magni and modi should make the headphones sound better and better than a xonar essence STX would do right?

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #57 of 88
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.2W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 260mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 130mW RMS per channel

u can buy most of the cans in the mkt.

=====

i guess.....the new modi dac should soound "better" than the dac on your on board soundcard.

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #58 of 88
Thank you lore speaker!

Do you know how much better my headphones will sound with the magni and modi stack?

Because i can basically get a Xonar Essence STX soundcard for free because i have credit at a local PC store shop

Will the Magni and Modi stack sound better than a Xonar Essnece STX soundcard?

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #59 of 88
wait...dun buy anything yet...dun splurge 500 to 800 yet....i think u better do more reading. LOL
the torture B4 buying ...and the torture after buying what u dun like is just as bitter.

what headfones do u have now? have u used before?

there is a new X2 coming out soon...with replaceable pads.
the X1's earpads are NOT replaceable, unless u rippp it off.
Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode

the new BEATS SOLO2 is out...and getting some recognition by experts here :p
Monster Beats by Dr. Dre Solo - YouTube

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #60 of 88
a few quick tots..reading thru the few pages..

There is the FUN sounding can, most of the time with V shaped sound signature..
eccentuated bass, recessed mids for vocals. Highs can be soaring or rolled off..depends...eg X1, Beats..

There is the Neutral or Balanced sounding can, supposed to give u unaccentuated sound across the spectrum eg hd600, Beyer DT150
http://www.amazon.ca/Beyerdynamic-DT-150-250-GREY-Monitoring-Headphone-Environments/dp/B000LDPP1K/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1408813042&sr=8-5&keywords=dt150

which  type do u think u like/ want?

======

do u need a CLOSED can or an OPEN can..? u have a quiet room to yourself..? or u need privacy? 
Closed cans normally gives u more bass..in a controlled ambience. *my preference.

======

some cans are very easily powered...can sound v good off ipads...ipods..laptops...handfones. eg Yamaha MT220, my favorite.
http://www.amazon.ca/Yamaha-HPH-MT220BL-Studio-Headphones/dp/B00B44N0DA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408812907&sr=8-1&keywords=yamaha+mt220

some cans are less sensitive...wakes up to its glory only when fed with good clean power. ( more $$ needed.)  HD650/600 etc

(nontheless...it doesnt mean u cant get v good sound off the easily powered cans )

=====

If u are not adversed to buying 2nd hand headfones...just wash the pads really well n sun them..
then u can try diff cans for v little loss, sell off those u dun like..until u discover/develop your taste..
then u splurge on a "good" $$$spanking new can.
( if u are sitting on a pile of cash, by all means buy everything new..n try them all out ;P )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back