Bose headphones...overpriced and crappy sound?
Aug 8, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #76 of 164
Quote:

atx
You have to retract the headband when not using them. I've had several headphones with weak headbands break that way.

I realise that, but I’ve got a small head and never have a real need to adjust headphones. They still broke though, annoying really. Thanks for the info though.

I have to say that although I love the Triports, I’m not blind to their limitations. I think there's a difference in knowing that they have limitations and admitting that they do, but still loving them, to knowing not much else.

Among my current range of headphones, they're not what I call the best, but so what! They’re certainly not the worst I’ve heard.

I’ve got a pair of px60's, px200's, HD212's and an old pair of HD465's,(amongst others) there's no way that they REALLY compare to the Triports!

i've seen the Triports being ccompared against some pretty low budget headphones, sorry i just can't see the comparison myself!

Aug 8, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #78 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan
IMHO the word "Bose" should be permanently stricken from this site.

They should make Bose be edited out just like other certain 4 letter words!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #79 of 164
My latest edition of Which magazine has a review of headphones. Unfortunately the details on their web page are only available to subscribers, but I will summarise the results. I'm wary of pasting their text here in case they decide to enforce their copyright.

Top scorers were Bose QC2 (89%), Beyerdynamic DTX900 (84%), Grado SR60 (84%) followed by SR80 and Triport. All were tested for sound leakage in/out (not great on Grados), durability, comfort and sound quality. Price is not taken into account for the score.

They didn't like the IECs much. ER6i and E3C were both marked down on comfort and sound quality. Senn CX300 came out much better.

I would criticise their approach in that they do not consider the usage of each type. Most people would not wear Grados on the bus or IECs plugged into the home hi-fi. They claim their panel are 'expert listeners' and used a wide variety of types of audio, so it's interesting to see how their quality ratings diverge from what I normally see here.

Aug 9, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #80 of 164
Well, guess what?
My friend told me today that his dad owns a QC2 which he refers to as 'the best headphone in the world'
I told him that he was stupid and handed him my ipod attached to my supermini attached to my sr225
He listened to it for 10 seconds, handed it back and just said 'yea these are alright, but the bose is better'
I tried to tell him about grados, sennheiser, beyer and akg and how they make the best headphones
And he just said 'u forgot bose'
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
I just gave up and said 'whatever'
Oh, and his dad paid around US$500 for them
*gotta say the noise cancelling's pretty cool, although they sound like crap*

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #81 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri
Well, guess what?
My friend told me today that his dad owns a QC2 which he refers to as 'the best headphone in the world'
I told him that he was stupid and handed him my ipod attached to my supermini attached to my sr225
He listened to it for 10 seconds, handed it back and just said 'yea these are alright, but the bose is better'
I tried to tell him about grados, sennheiser, beyer and akg and how they make the best headphones
And he just said 'u forgot bose'
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
I just gave up and said 'whatever'
Oh, and his dad paid around US$500 for them
*gotta say the noise cancelling's pretty cool, although they sound like crap*

Go back to him with a gs1000 or hp-2, lol. I'd like to see him say bose is better than those.

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #82 of 164
Oh and he said something about some audio magazine rating them the best headphones..
Do these people have ears?
I think how crap they are is a tad exaggerated here, but they are at best a bit betta than KSC75s

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #83 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73
i've seen the Triports being ccompared against some pretty low budget headphones, sorry i just can't see the comparison myself!

i compared them to my sony clipons(30 bucks) yesterday and they sounded the same. they were more comfortable of course, but other than that...

i was listening to beatles, but ill try it again now with some beethoven.

Aug 9, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #84 of 164
well nevermind, my triports are now 6 feet under. Good riddance.

Aug 9, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #85 of 164
I had the BOSE Tri-Ports..they were a gift! I donated the phones to a bum on the street, along with my Samsung MP3 Player in NYC a few years back
biggrin.gif

Don't get dragged into those conversations about Bose and better sound, what not. If the people you are talking to already have the "medicine" and are taking it, there is no sense in perscribing something else even if it is better, as the ill advised are probably quite happy with the mediocre output and "treatment" they have already, probably listening to an iPod, DAP, or PC anyway...if not a DVDP.

Just laugh and say..yeah they're not as good as your BOSE..
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #87 of 164
Wow seriously? You donated a Bose headset and a Samsung player to a bum? That's crazy generous.

Eh, there are worse sounding things than Bose and at least they are comfortable ;p

Apr 15, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #88 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow seriously? You donated a Bose headset and a Samsung player to a bum? That's crazy generous.

Eh, there are worse sounding things than Bose and at least they are comfortable ;p

hmmm... i wonder if hobos have ac chargers...
confused.gif

edit: nice 8 month bump
tongue.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #90 of 164
Over the last couple of weeks I have had two listening experiences with the Bose Q2. Both were in comparison with either the ATH-EW9 or my new ATH-ANC7s.

The Bose has a veil over all the frequencies. I guess I would call it a veil. It sounds like the driver is just muddy everywhere compared with the clarity of the EW9s. The Bose has more bass than the EW9s but the bass is not tight like the bass on the EW9s. I have no issues with the amount of bass the EW9s have with my music.

Just this last week I got my ANC7s. I took a return visit with the Q2 in a comparison with these. The ANC7s have it all over the Q2s. Clarity, bass, noise cancellation. Of course I am a Audio-Technica kinda of guy anyway. Veil need not apply for me, not muddy or however one would choose to describe it. Here are some more impressions concerning these three headphones from my initial impressions. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=234882 The ANC7s were half the price of the Q2s.

I really enjoy the noise cancellation feature. It allows the music to have much more dynamic range while keeping the peak sound level much lower and safer to listen too. Some people seem to be sensitive to the anti-noise of the cancellation feature but I am not one of those. Maybe this has more to do with the sound level you drive them while listening. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back