Bose headphones...overpriced and crappy sound?
Apr 16, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #91 of 164
dont know about the headphones, but I dont consider the $3000 acoustimass much worse than the $100 RCA's at Radio Shack (and I hate RCA). Cant imagine their headphones being any better. I think they're revolutionary in the way they've deceived so many people, and continue to do so.

jeff

Apr 16, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #93 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just want to know what the headfiers here think of Bose headphones. I have personally owned the Triports and the QC2s. I haven't tried the QC3s yet, but will in the coming weeks. Although the sound quality is very average and the headphones are very overpriced, I am very satisfied with their comfort level. I can wear my Triports for an 8 hour day without feeling any discomfort. Have any of you guys owned Bose headphones before? If so, what do you guys think?

I used to own the following Bose headphones:

* TriPort (AroundEar)
* QuietComfort 2
* QuietComfort 3
* In-Ear (TriPort IE)

The In-Ear sounded kind of muddy and somewhat out-of-place for a $100 pair of earbuds. The TriPort Headphones had a lot of quality control issues and sounded somewhat muddy. The QuietComfort 2 and QuietComfort 3 sounded clear and OK but the lowest point is that it can't operate without power.

I regret purchasing all of the above headphones mainly due to sound detail issues, though.

Apr 16, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #94 of 164
I had the in-ear (triport IE) for about a week.... took 'em back! THey didn't really sound muddy, but lifeless .... with no bass, no treble, and no middle! I then bought a set of Sony MDREX90LP that I've been pretty happy with until I got my Grado SR225's! I have to admit, that I was headphone clueless and thought bose would be the S###T! Well, I looked at the triport line, OE and AE, and they sounded like ..... I found head-fi and haven't looked back!!!!! (except the wallet that is)
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #96 of 164
I didn't expect to see this thread pop back up again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, Bose does have its positive sides. I still think the Triports are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn!

Apr 16, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #97 of 164
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Well, Bose does have its positive sides. I still think the Triports are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn!

for the size of them, they where very light.

Apr 16, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #98 of 164
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

IEMs are comfortable, but thats not why I like them, they perform super! too

Apr 16, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #99 of 164
I've had two real experiences with Bose. One was with the TriPort, as a christmas gift several years ago. They were serviceable, I didn't know whether their shortcomings were because of my source (an integrated laptop soundcard), or the 'phones themselves, and I didn't really want to spend the money to find out. I'd give them about a 4.5/10 if I had to rate them. Not horrible, but it's not like they'll make your ears bleed. Sure they're muddy and muffled, but to the masses that just equates to "inoffensive". I know people who love FM radio because of the bloated bass, and understandably they loved my TriPorts alot more than I did.

The other experience was with car stereos. The Bose unit in my father's aging Nissan Pathfinder is pretty crummy, the stock unit in my Subaru sounds much better, especially after I routed an AUX port into it. The best experience I've had with Bose was in the 1984 Corvette my father used to own. It was truly one of the better sounding stereos I've heard, but it's also been a really long time since I've heard it. But compared to our Dodge Caravan of the time, the stereo had sparkle and definition (both tape units, though, neither car was exactly new). But again, this has been about a decade.

Apr 16, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #100 of 164
All the Bose heaphones in the Apple stores have cable ties holding the headband together, so the aluminum slider bands don't fall off the top piece. Do cable ties come with the phones, or do you have to pay 45 cents extra?

And, pulling out my thesaurus, I say they sound, ... execrable!

May 28, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #104 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse Peters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bose is like a cheap car priced like the Aston Martin's of headphones - it simply can't compete.

my only probelm with the origianl triports were the cracking headband. i loved the bass and believe me when i decided to replace the triports for a pair of senn hd280's the bass on the 280's couldn't compare to Bose (on depth).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back