Bose headphones...overpriced and crappy sound?
Aug 29, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #152 of 164
had a pair of bose iem's.
sold them for 30 bucks.
they sounded too muddy with no details.

however, bose's customer service = teh uber
give them a call and complain, they will pay for shipping both ways (fedex express), and you get the replacement item about 2 days after you send them the defective item.

Aug 29, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #153 of 164
My uncle used Bose tripot and tried to pursuade me to enter Bose world. (he said once Bose is the best!
icon10.gif
)

Nonetheless, I lent him Senn HD650s with amp for couple days. After that he sold his tripot and bought HD650s himself.
600smile.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #154 of 164
I remember I nearly wasted $300 on a pair of QC2's before knowing about these forums. I remember the sound being very muddy and undetailed, not to mention the overwhelming bass it had to where I can barely hear the music, even with bass enchancers off on my source. My $40 pair of Sennheiser EH150 sounded much better and more balanced. Good thing I returned them 2 days later. Also on that same day I just disliked anything Bose, which in part also had to do with reading more posts on these forums when I just joined in. Can I say headfi saved my life from bad sound maybe?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #155 of 164
I will say, for its price, the Triport doesn't too unreasonable. Not to say it isn't expensive for the SQ that you get, but its isolation surpasses the others that are cheaper and sound better in most cases. Still, it isn't terrible if you need isolation and value comfort highly.

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #156 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember I nearly wasted $300 on a pair of QC2's before knowing about these forums. I remember the sound being very muddy and undetailed, not to mention the overwhelming bass it had to where I can barely hear the music, even with bass enchancers off on my source. My $40 pair of Sennheiser EH150 sounded much better and more balanced. Good thing I returned them 2 days later. Also on that same day I just disliked anything Bose, which in part also had to do with reading more posts on these forums when I just joined in. Can I say headfi saved my life from bad sound maybe?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, you could say that. You could even get it on a bumper sticker.

"Head-Fi Helped Me Buy Other Sound Equipment!"

Aug 30, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #157 of 164
I made a mistake to buy a pair of Sennheiser PX200--mistake because they have little to no bass that makes it to my ears. However, I loved that they came with a portable case and folded up. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD650s that I use at home (and have been known to take to the university), but I just can't walk around campus with the HD650s on my head (especially since I'm already carrying a hefty HeadRoom Desktop Portable + DAC in a travel bag, along with a rolling briefcase and a leather backpack). Anyway...

I have a pair of UltimateEars Super.fi 5 Pro and like the overall tonal quality to them, but really wanted something that was "easier" to take on and off--with the UEs, I'm in a constant struggle to untangle the "memory" wire and figure out which earpiece goes to which ear. Plus, they didn't quite fit too well and they like to pop out unexpectedly
frown.gif

Enter the Bose TriPort OE. I knew they'd have that "legendary Bose sound" and my last electrical engineering professor seemed to be totally in love with Bose as a whole (I can't tell you how many diversions from the lecture the class would have to endure). Since I own two Wave CD systems (I and II), I thought the TriPort OE version would suit my needs of having something portable and compact but able to provide a suitable bass response without being sibilant or piercing in the highs.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong. One thing they have going for them is their comfort, though they get a bit warm due to their vinyl-type earpad textured "stuffing." They totally need to be amplified, IMO, and I use the HeadRoom Desktop Portable. They are practically inaudible when watching a movie on the Sony PSP if they're not driven properly. I notice that I get listener fatigue very quickly and am more involved with twiddling the volume and crossfeed settings to try to find a sweet spot than I am actually enjoying the music. Perhaps the one thing that they are best suited for is playing games on the PSP (providing they're amplified).

Exit the Bose ... enter the UltimateEars triple.fi 10 Pro. I've had the UETF10P for less than 24 hours and have already requested an RMA because the right channel has a strange resonnance and buzzes at certain frequencies and I completely lost the base and/or midrange driver(s) in the left channel. The point? Others have talked about the price point of the Bose but don't mention the $400 or $500 or more on other products (which are supposed to be better, right?). I've had better Koss 'phones from Radio Shack in the '90s that played so loudly and bass-heavy that my head and ears hurt, but gosh did they sound superb for the $40 price. Were the Bose worth the $160 that I paid? Not in the least little bit, but Bose charges $600 for a clock radio, so $160 for a pair of $40 headphones is likely to keep them catering to bass heads or the consumer that won't spend $500 on IEMs but will try a (very well marketed, IMO) sub-$200 pair of headphones that are poor-to-adequate to my sensitive ears but will likely draw a large fan base for those looking to upgrade their stock iPod earbuds.

The bottom line: I'm still going to use mine when I don't feel like using an IEM, the Sennheiser HD650s, or I'm going to play games or only listen for short periods of time, like at the computer listening to a webinar.

--Scott

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #158 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you could say that. You could even get it on a bumper sticker.

"Head-Fi Helped Me Buy Other Sound Equipment!"

Lol!
600smile.gif
If only such bumper sticker exists! Or do they? lol
basshead.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #159 of 164
Doesn't it amaze you that these expensive Bose Headphones don't sound amazing?

Considering the money this company puts into R&D. When I think of Bose, that's what I think of, Audio R&D. Their speakers, 901 Series especially are just beyond words, just amazing.

I've never owned Bose Headphones because of the reviews I've read on this forum. I don't even want to try them.

Sep 1, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #160 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't it amaze you that these expensive Bose Headphones don't sound amazing?

Considering the money this company puts into R&D. When I think of Bose, that's what I think of, Audio R&D. Their speakers, 901 Series especially are just beyond words, just amazing.

I've never owned Bose Headphones because of the reviews I've read on this forum. I don't even want to try them.

It amazes me that they don't sound like they're worth their price. I admit, I was pretty sold on Bose at the time, and I even thought that nothing could match their "quality". I also thought the Triports were awesome...
eek.gif
Until I tried on the QC2's and NOT being impressed by their sound especially for what I've payed for, I stumbled across this site and a few others and learned a lot about Bose. Good thing it wasn't too late to return them.
tongue.gif

I still don't get why many people buy Bose, though. I guess the Bose marketing really do get into these people's heads.
plainface.gif
Not to me anymore at least hehe!

Sep 6, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #161 of 164
I just bought my first pair of Bose Triport IE's. I had been away from hi-fi gear for awhile, as I recently had a terrible ear infection that was directly caused by my use of IEM's. So I ended up with what I could find, which were a pair of Sony E828's, as I didn't feel like waiting for a shipment of Sennheisers to come in.

I got to say, the detail isn't there, but they are very fun to listen to. Lots of thumping bass while listening to Incubus. THey're not bad for what I paid for them. About equal to the E2C's I own, and much more comfortable.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #162 of 164
Hmmmm, as much bashing as Bose is taking, I'd like to say I have tried the Over Ear Triports and the On Ear Triports. I agree the Over Ear Triports are not worth it, but I was suprised to find the newest On Ear Triport model works fantastic with all of my portable music players from the Ipods, Sirius Stiletto S100 Satelite radio, XM Pioneer Inno Satelite radio, Iriver H120, H320, Archos Gmini 400, all my Sony Walkman radios and Discman CD players, etc.
I find the On-Ear Triport a synergistic match for these little radios and music players and makes them sound really enjoyable. When I plug all my other headphones in, they sound okay but lose the soul and wow factor. So, just wanted to throw my experience into this mix. Peace!

Oct 11, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #163 of 164
Ive had the Bose Tri-ports for about a year the second generation that doesn't break as easily the first thing to realize is these are 32ohm headphones if you are trying to get the tri-ports to sound good coming out of your 1gig Ipodaphonia Mp3 player you are right they will sound like crud just as my Sennheiser 590's do or my 650's. You have to amp them. Are they the best headphones ... hardly do they sound good when amped with any descent portable amp and a good sound source... Yes they sound an awful lot like Future Sonic M5's with a bit less bass. Do they sound better than cheap o Koss 75's yes if they are amped no if they are put into a MP3 player that lacks the ability to drive them.

I agree with the earlier posts the placebo affect is an amazing phenomena I had a friend do a blind test recently with some UE 10's and some 30.00 Skull candy IEM's off of a sansa 200e and from a mini disc
and it was amazing that the Skull Candies sounded better.. because the darn freaking UE 10's need amping..

So try it yourself total blind tests you might be suprised at what you find...

what one thinks sounds good sounds horrible to the next person.. Again try a blind test of some high end equipment you may be suprised at the results.. Everyone wants to believe that when they pay 2,000 for a headphone amp that it is truly worth it... the reality is that all companies build hype in different ways.. Some like Bose have listening stations.. Others like Sennheisers ride on their name which works wonders... Others use tricks such as certain markets get them first so as to introduce the domino effect.. I could name so many headphones that do not sound nearly as good as they are hyped but whats the point? Sound is not absolute it is something we all perceive..

Ok Im done with the freaking Bose dear god... Now I think I will put on some Triports because they actually sound amazing in COD2 ... haha
lambda.gif
orphsmile.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #164 of 164
Everybody loves to bash Bose. I've never tried any of their headphones, but I did have a set of the IEMs that I got for free with Marriott frequent traveler points. Too bass-heavy for sure, and the amount of bass was a strong function of exactly how they were positioned in my ears, which was difficult to do repeatably.

Having said all that, it was fairly easy to get pretty good sound by EQ-ing the bass down and boosting the high treble just a touch. Then there were a fun listen, and had an acceptable, if not stellar, amount of detail.

I'm much happier with my Atrios these days, but my daughter who hates anything in her ear canal is absolutely thrilled with the Bose.

As others here have noted in the past, if it sounds good to you, then it is good. What other definition even matters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back