Bose headphones...overpriced and crappy sound?
Aug 7, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #46 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirdouglas
So I don't have my own cans yet, but all I've tried are the triports at the Apple store, and yes they were very comfortable. Sure people say they're cheap looking and made poorly, but they're comfortable! That's why they sell so well, because people want a set of comfortable headphones to go with their ipod, and they look halfway decent. I'm really trying to find a comfortable set of headphones with good quality. I've looked at the K81 djs (the huge thread) and it looks like they're supposed to sound amazing, but I'm also reading a lot about discomfort issues. Sure they might sound good, but if I'm gonna be bringing these things with me everywhere with my mp3 player, I'm not gonna want my ears in pain after a bit of listening. Good sounding or not, I need comfort. Is there no headphone out there that provides both in that price range?

I am newbie at headphones, I'm sure you can tell. But When I tried on the triports I thought that's exactly what I want. I haven't heard anything else either. They're all packaged up at the store anyways and I can't even try them on. So I would love something exactly like that triport but with good sound quality. I donno, I'm just really having troubles picking a headphone out. I've been researching for hours. It seems like there's always some type of flaw in all of them. Supposably some of the open headphones (the triports are closed right?.. sounded pretty isolated to me) are pretty good, but I don't wanna hear everyone and have them hear my music, so that's sorta outta the question also. So what is there for good quality, comfortable headphones in this price range? Isn't there just some perfect headphone out there? Sorry, I'm sorta getting off the topic but I'm sick of looking everywhere for good headphones and am about to settle for crappy triports. Thanks,

Doug

If you are still finding your way in the world of headphones, it seems strange to 'settle' for such an expensive set of cans.

In your position you would be better buying a set of cans for around $50-$100 or maybe even less while you decide what you do want from a headphone and get used to listenting to them. If you decide that headphones aren't for you sell them at a modest loss and move on, if headphones are for you then take the plunge into something more expensive.

If you buy your first set second hand you will lose even less money if you sell.

There are dozens of threads on here with suggestions that price range so I won't repeat them here.

Simon

Aug 7, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #48 of 164
Just do a little research, right here on this forum.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 7, 2006 at 1:07 PM Post #49 of 164
I was wondering if newer members whom do not do the research and jump into the BOSE sucks bandwagon would actually think different if we're to give them a Grado/Sennheiser headphone or maybe some other well known brand with Bose drivers in them...I watched another reality show that day that was pretty similar to the Apprentice where they set up a few guys by giving them wine and telling them that the wine was the most expensive wine ever and so on...when it was just a crappy off the shelf wine. Guess what, all those who tried the wine commented on how great it tastes...

This is the kind of feeling I've got over at this forum and I think we have to tackle this problem. It seems that many people here are following the crowd and jumping onto the bandwagon too fast. Some chime in even if they haven't tried the product. I've tried Bose headphones (the QC2's as well as the Triports) and honestly, I don't find them that bad. I guess its due to the Domino effect whereby quite a few pickier older members here start about this Bose bashing thinggie and thus newer members, not wanting to be left out or maybe afraid of being looked down upon join this bashing party.

Yes, the Bose may not be that good but guess what, due to those numerous negative comments and attacks made by various members, headfi has somehow grown to an extreme anti-bose forum. I beleive Placebo comes into effect here.

Just how many of you have actually tried Bose? (well, maybe there's really a bunch of people who've tried Bose..) And just how many of you can honestly say that before coming to this forum, you've already found the Bose headphones to be sucky and stuff like that?

Aug 7, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #50 of 164
I'am not trying to play an advocate of Bose here but merely stating my points. Many times, I find members here, in the light of their excitement, post comments that are often exaggerating. I don't see the need of "my SR-60 trashes those Bose inside out upside down" kinda comments...If you think Bose is overpriced, then I think its the same that goes for many other headphones that costs well into the $1000's range.

On the side note, I was wondering how good the GS-1000's would sound if it was priced at $250. Would people be giving comments and reviews with the thought that these are $1000 and better sound good? Like what I said in my previous post, its Placebo. I guess placebo does play a big factor in our journey to attain audio delight/nirvana...

Aug 7, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #52 of 164
i think i starting to know why they're popular. come on, they let people try them. do akg or grado or other real headphone company let you try their product? so people "know" what they're getting. and also bose let you try there product in a very comfortable enviroment. and those headphones are comfortable.

a little off-topic, anybody try to amp a bose? how do they sound?

Aug 7, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #53 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer
Just how many of you have actually tried Bose? (well, maybe there's really a bunch of people who've tried Bose..) And just how many of you can honestly say that before coming to this forum, you've already found the Bose headphones to be sucky and stuff like that?

I didn't think very much of Bose before coming to head-fi. And I tried a pair of QC2's, as posted above. I didn't care for their sound at all.

Compared to the less expensive Sennheiser HD25-1, the Senn's sound MUCH better, and provide almost as much asolation as the Bose do noise reduction (although the frequencies they work at varies). The Bose are a little more comfortable than these Senn's, but it was no contest for me. I returned the Bose afte rjust one 4 hour flight. I WANTED to like them - I fly a lot and the concept behind the QC2's is great. But the reality is the HD25-1's are far, far better sonically.

I listened briefly to Triports at the Apple store and did not care for them either, but they sounded better than the B&O headphones Apple was also selling.

Aug 7, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #54 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz
i think i starting to know why they're popular. come on, they let people try them. do akg or grado or other real headphone company let you try their product? so people "know" what they're getting. and also bose let you try there product in a very comfortable enviroment. and those headphones are comfortable.

a little off-topic, anybody try to amp a bose? how do they sound?

I guess so...And guess what, we're talking about Bose being marketed to the masses and not some niche/funny/nerdy group of people like headfiers...

Btw, I do find it funny when forumers here get flared up and angry at people who stand by Bose products...I've got a few decent enough cans in my stash and still, I find Bose headphones to be fairly acceptable. I guess this has to do with my lower level (or ultra low by someother's standards..) of pickiness...

Aug 7, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #55 of 164
Recently went to an audio store to try out some Grado's (oh, and they were awesome!). I was listening to mainly the Grado headphones on the rack. Then out of the corner of my eye I see a Bose Triport all the way at the bottem of the rack. So I figured why not try them out, maybe they aren't as bad as most people say they are. I put them on, and...

OMG!!! The sound is so muddy compared to the SR-60's! The Bose midrange honk is definitely there.

I barely listened for 10 seconds and I already took them off. I then proceeded to cleanse my ears with a pair of Grado SR-325i's, which ironically is now going to be my next pair of headphones.
rs1smile.gif

B.O.S.E. = Buy Other Sound Equipment...
cool.gif

Aug 7, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #56 of 164
It's obviously down to people’s personal preference and what they look/hear out for when it comes to music.

For example the Sennheiser 650 gets alot of mention but when I tested them I wasn't impressed.

the Grado’s get alot of mention and quite rightly so, I truly believe in terms of value for money the SR60's to be the best pair of headphones on the market.

For the most uncomfortable pair of headphones, the Grado's are the best on the market!!

This forum is full of people who say the bass on the Grado’s are brilliant. Compared to the Triports (bass is slow and muddy) or my beyers, what i feel Grado class as bass is to me a joke?

I love thumping bass but I wouldn't EVER recommend Grado’s for bass.

And so it goes on. as to the Triports......., I don't think they're a bad pair of headphones (apart from the headband problems) I wouldn't be on my 4th pair if I did.

Value for money...? Quote:

If you think Bose is overpriced, then I think it’s the same that goes for many other headphones that costs well into the $1000's range

I think it goes for many things. I’ve heard a £55,000 system (18 years ago) and Linn’s £70,000 system. They were awesome, but value for money? I heard an £11,000 acoustic research and Dynaudio system which was just as good!

Bose usually get the short end of the stick for their prices, I look at it as an investment. I wanted a pair of acousticmass speakers 12 years ago. I spent thousands over the years on speakers alone and yet now I still want the acousticmass speakers. i still love the deign and the concept, and they are the basis for a thousand spin off's especially within the home cinema market.

One payment will last you at least 10 years with Bose, you won't feel the need to upgrade every 18 months as you do from other companies. Just my point of view!

Aug 7, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #57 of 164
Quote:

I was wondering if newer members whom do not do the research and jump into the BOSE sucks bandwagon would actually think different if we're to give them a Grado/Sennheiser headphone or maybe some other well known brand with Bose drivers in them...I watched another reality show that day that was pretty similar to the Apprentice where they set up a few guys by giving them wine and telling them that the wine was the most expensive wine ever and so on...when it was just a crappy off the shelf wine. Guess what, all those who tried the wine commented on how great it tastes...

This is the kind of feeling I've got over at this forum and I think we have to tackle this problem. It seems that many people here are following the crowd and jumping onto the bandwagon too fast. Some chime in even if they haven't tried the product. I've tried Bose headphones (the QC2's as well as the Triports) and honestly, I don't find them that bad. I guess its due to the Domino effect whereby quite a few pickier older members here start about this Bose bashing thinggie and thus newer members, not wanting to be left out or maybe afraid of being looked down upon join this bashing party.

Yes, the Bose may not be that good but guess what, due to those numerous negative comments and attacks made by various members, headfi has somehow grown to an extreme anti-bose forum. I beleive Placebo comes into effect here.

I think it is time for a very special mini-meet. We need someone who can get a bunch of headphone drivers and put them all in a standard looking shell, including BOSE drivers (HD580, QC3, SR225, K701, DT880, etc.). Then only number the headphones and only have 1 person know which is which and then let everybody test them out and say which they prefer over which. But I think some total newbies should also be involved since experts would be able to detect the sounds signatures.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #59 of 164
Good point Razer-bro
smily_headphones1.gif

Tried the QC2's before. They're not as bad as what peeps described, the bass is a tad too boomy for my tastes however, a bit rolled off too much towards the later bottom end, mids has a honk to it, and the highs feel a bit rolled off (but not as much as say, the UM1). The whole experience doesn't really leave behind any kind of aftertaste, both good or bad, its just forgettable. Its not exactly my definition of horrible as well however *points to the Sony MDR-V500 and Sony MDR-EX71*.

On the average, the sound's worth nothing more than perhaps a US$30-40 unknown brand headphone of some sort (performance surpassed by my late, beloved KSC75) but granted it is comfortable and does its job of cancelling lower frequency noises admirably (I tried a hair dryer... don't ask).

The hate going around is kinda understandable I guess, given its price-to-performance ratio is... worse than most if not all IEMs in terms of sound.

Aug 7, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #60 of 164
Quote:

*prepares flame suit*
eggosmile.gif

lol
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

1st flame! Learn to edit your posts please, triple posts are annoying.
2nd flame! I don't really have any more flames actually, you brought up a good point.

But now to the real conversation: I have tried the bose triports, QC2 and QC3. All of these were demoed for a song or two at the bose store and they were all driven off of bose products. The sound isn't horrible, but for the price you should be getting better. I purchased my SR-225's for the prices of triports. There is a huge sound quality difference and I would have felt horrible knowing that I could have ended up spending 150 on triports and I wouldn't have my awesome SR-225s. I even think the Koss portables are a step up on the triports when it comes to sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back