Bose headphones...overpriced and crappy sound?
Aug 3, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #31 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
I hope that was some sarcasm.
Their marketing level is lower than Sony.

Huh? I agree that Bose's marketing is excellent. They've managed to convince an enormous segment of consumers that their products are synonomous with high quality sound, and that the ridiculous prices Bose charges are worth it. Sounds like damn good marketing to me.

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #32 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
This is all just my personal opinion, but I feel that my Beyer 250-80's (which I bought new, and own) lack authority in the music. It's very laid back - sucks the excitement right out of songs. My ksc-75's have great detail, but they really lack impact.

Grados, to be completely different, lacked detail - that's just what I found in a couple of demos of them. I know certain songs very well, and I know when there's something significant missing the vocals. I also didn't find a great deal of impact with them, but I wouldn't necessarily call them boring like the Beyer's either.

But, although it's completely my opinion, none of the headphones I've tried really have the impact of my speakers (again, my very basic speakers in my target stereo and my car). Perhaps I'm just expecting to much out of headphones...Bose headphones lacked a very slight amount of detail somewhere, but at least they gave the music some body and impact.

my ksc-75's have "K 26 P" pad's so they get great impact.

find pad's for 40mm, and GO!!!

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #33 of 164
Hmmm, you guys are bashing the triports so much that I really regret buying them.
frown.gif
There were the first "high end" headphones I got. When I say "hight end", I mean headphones that cost more than $15. Little did I know I dished out $150 for something I could have gotten with less than $50. Hey, there is some good with the triports...they cover my ears completely and keeps me from freezing in the cold. In fact, I used them as ear muffs last winter up here in Canada and they worked great. Sometimes I would wear them without any music playing just so my ears could stay warm. So...what do you guys think of that! :p

Aug 3, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #35 of 164
OMG, I'd forgotten all about that thread!

I just spent the past 15 minutes reading through it and laughing my @ss off
biggrin.gif

One of the best posts:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Estilo
2 things here...

How come Bose never puts their specs out for us to see...

I showed one of my friends this forum, and after reading a lot of the comments on bose, he pointed out this thread and....
well...
um...
he headed to Amazon and bought some...

blink.gif

Nice going, gpalmer
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 6, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #37 of 164
I think that Bose does an amazing job advertising their product. They get their headphones used at every listening station they can reach, they advertise everywhere, and they charge a lot of money to mimic higher quality headphones. They make a very comfortable product so that first impressions are great. Word of mouth takes care of the rest. One of my friends got caught up in the hype and started raving about how Bose makes the world's greatest cans. Now all of my friends are raving about their new Boses.
I have a pair of Sony MDR-XD400s for $70. Not audiophile quality, but definitely better than the $149 TriPorts. Rip Off.

Aug 7, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #38 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Huh? I agree that Bose's marketing is excellent. They've managed to convince an enormous segment of consumers that their products are synonomous with high quality sound, and that the ridiculous prices Bose charges are worth it. Sounds like damn good marketing to me.

I think the amount of Sony V150's/V300's are more than enough to rake in the profits compared to the triports. I see 5 at least once a day when I'm out.

I mean, they cost no more than $5 to make.
The butterfly effect is really something.

The butterfly effect doesn't work well on Bose because it's too expensive. Only people with more than enough cash will purchase a pair of triports or a QC's.

Nevertheless, it doesn't matter which company has the marketing advantage.
We all lose in the end anyways... when headphones break and the warrenty expires.

Aug 7, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #40 of 164
I've always wanted to try BOSE headphones just to make sure that they are as bad as everybody says but they seem very expensive still for the QC3. Who here has bought BOSE headphones online (And where did you buy them) and used the money-back guarantee? Did it work completely (The money back guarantee)?

I know a lot of people say they sound bad and arent flat or anything but sometimes I like sound that simply sounds cool (hence why I sometimes try some reverb filters or something because it sounds cool). I know a lot of people here gasp and faint if something isnt completely neutral and if someone finds something like adding reverb makes something sound cooler, but I dont always like to think in my anal audiophile mind and I just like some casual, cool, surround-ish sound.

Aug 7, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #41 of 164
Welcome to Head-Fi, the anti-Bose
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #42 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirdouglas
So I don't have my own cans yet, but all I've tried are the triports at the Apple store, and yes they were very comfortable. Sure people say they're cheap looking and made poorly, but they're comfortable! That's why they sell so well, because people want a set of comfortable headphones to go with their ipod, and they look halfway decent. I'm really trying to find a comfortable set of headphones with good quality. I've looked at the K81 djs (the huge thread) and it looks like they're supposed to sound amazing, but I'm also reading a lot about discomfort issues. Sure they might sound good, but if I'm gonna be bringing these things with me everywhere with my mp3 player, I'm not gonna want my ears in pain after a bit of listening. Good sounding or not, I need comfort. Is there no headphone out there that provides both in that price range?

I am newbie at headphones, I'm sure you can tell. But When I tried on the triports I thought that's exactly what I want. I haven't heard anything else either. They're all packaged up at the store anyways and I can't even try them on. So I would love something exactly like that triport but with good sound quality. I donno, I'm just really having troubles picking a headphone out. I've been researching for hours. It seems like there's always some type of flaw in all of them. Supposably some of the open headphones (the triports are closed right?.. sounded pretty isolated to me) are pretty good, but I don't wanna hear everyone and have them hear my music, so that's sorta outta the question also. So what is there for good quality, comfortable headphones in this price range? Isn't there just some perfect headphone out there? Sorry, I'm sorta getting off the topic but I'm sick of looking everywhere for good headphones and am about to settle for crappy triports. Thanks,

Doug

Doug, let's get one thing clear:

[size=large]DON'T BUY THE TRIPORTS
[/size]
They sound like utter crap. I hadn't heard one before, so I put on a pair at the Apple Store and played a few tracks on the iPod that I know well. Honestly, I thought I was wearing a defective pair. It was THAT bad. So bad, I nearly told an employee that they were broken before I decided to try another pair. Those were equally bad. So were a third and fourth pair. I have not heard ANY audio product that was so bad. I've heard 99 cent headphones from a swapmeet that were far more musical. Do not waste your money.

As for the quibbling about the other headphones, don't pay too much attention to it. I own Sennheisers, Grados and AKGs. I love them all. Yeah, I can spend days going back and forth on the pros and cons of each. But all of them are "good" headphones. Triports are not.

Aug 7, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #43 of 164
The QC2, which probably sounds very similar to the QC3, is not good for serious listening. For casual background listening while silencing repetitive, low-frequency sounds like trucks, refrigerators, lawnmowers, etc., they're very good, and by far the best thing you can buy.

But for what you're describing, Aldo_Lopez, something that's cool-sounding and surroundish, I don't think the QC3 would be worth it if you don't also really need the noise cancellation. You could get much better sound for the same money.

Aug 7, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #44 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
They sound like utter crap. I hadn't heard one before, so I put on a pair at the Apple Store and played a few tracks on the iPod that I know well.

Same here. I honestly prefer the stock Apple buds over the Triports
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #45 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
Doug, let's get one thing clear:

[size=large]DON'T BUY THE TRIPORTS
[/size][/

Ditto:

Don't buy the triports. Go to a local audio store and sample some headphones. (Start at places such as American Music, Guitar Center, etc. After you sampled a wide variety and found something that interests you, go find some smaller stores that might carry a wider variety of what you want)

If you don't want to go through the effort of buying good headphones, go to radio shack and buy some Koss KSC75 earclips, they do better than the triports while still being more portable. You could also head to another store and buy the Koss Portapros. A random rush purchase like the ksc75 or portapro won't hurt your wallet like a reckless/desperate/ignorant bad purchase like the triports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back