Blue Hawaii SE Pics
Apr 12, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to sound obtuse but why would I order a custom built hybrid stat amp?
What would I expect to hear for my extra dough over existing stat amp offerings?

Sound quality I would guess!
..and most probably component and build quality. Cause as with most other product you get what you pay for.

Apr 12, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

What would I expect to hear for my extra dough over existing stat amp offerings?

An amp that will drive the Stax SR-007 to near its full potential.
cool.gif
That's what the Blue Hawaii was originally designed to do and the KGBH is HeadAmp's take on Dr. Gilmore's design. The SE is the "extra testosterone" version.

Apr 12, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #18 of 42
Im happy i didnt see the pictures because i dont have $4500 right now
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if it is a RK50 hiding behind that big volume knob
evilsmileyfn5.gif

I know that there are holes for it on the PCB as well as a DACT...
wink.gif

Quote:

More power and that gives you more control over the diaphragm. The amp also has much more refinement over something like a Stax 007t and much more transparency.

Apr 12, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im happy i didnt see the pictures because i dont have $4500 right now
smily_headphones1.gif

I saw the pix but being the techno-slob that I am, my deepest thought was "cool feet".
redface.gif

I don't have $4500 to throw at a stat-amp either (at least not if I actually wanted some cans to plug into it as well) but here's my fear: if you'd have told me a year ago I'd soon be budgeting three grand for a an electrostatic rig I would have told you that you were nuts as was anyone considering spending that kind of dough.
eek.gif
confused.gif
cool.gif

Yet, here I am ....
wink.gif

I used to scoff at all the "wallet damage" comments on Head-Fi but now I find myself wondering just how bad this can get.
eek.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More power and that gives you more control over the diaphragm. The amp also has much more refinement over something like a Stax 007t and much more transparency.

Ah! Thanks Spritzer; that's info I can get my head around and use.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can see that I am just going to have to ensure I attend a Head-Fi meet sometime where there'll be a lot of different stat-amps to listen and compare.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am almost certainly looking at an Omega 2 but I am really at a loss when it comes to stat amps and I'm beginning to wonder if my budget is going to cut it.
eek.gif

Apr 12, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

I used to scoff at all the "wallet damage" comments on Head-Fi but now I find myself wondering just how bad this can get.
eek.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

It can go really bad, or good. Depending how you see it.
An example of how you might end up...
wink.gif

15792051tv9.jpg

[size=xx-small]Yes, it belongs to a Head-Fi'er. At least afaik.[/size]

Apr 12, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Ah! Thanks Spritzer; that's info I can get my head around and use.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can see that I am just going to have to ensure I attend a Head-Fi meet sometime where there'll be a lot of different stat-amps to listen and compare.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am almost certainly looking at an Omega 2 but I am really at a loss when it comes to stat amps and I'm beginning to wonder if my budget is going to cut it.
eek.gif

The SR-007 needs an amp of this caliber to reach it's full potential but the amp alone isn't going to make them great. You need a great source and the right cables as well. The SR-007 is not very meet friendly though as it takes a week just to figure out the right fit on the head and then they have to be modified to suit the owners head but a quick audition gives a clear picture of what they can do when all is as it should be.

Apr 12, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It can go really bad, or good. Depending how you see it.
An example of how you might end up...
wink.gif

15792051tv9.jpg

[size=xx-small]Yes, it belongs to a Head-Fi'er. At least afaik.[/size]

Yeah, he had to move to the Caymans to hide from his conscience! I think that Santa's the root of all this out of control spending.
BTW I wish I had enough to buy the one the OP lost by posting that picture.

Apr 12, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #25 of 42
Nice collection Krmathis - wow. Next time i get called a headphone fanatic i am going to print out this picture.
I was looking at the Blue Hawiian a while back when i had my eye on a 007. Maybe at one time. Wish i had seen the original post. Sure don't know how Justin has the time with all the Picos he's working on.

Apr 12, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure don't know how Justin has the time with all the Picos he's working on.

He don't!
wink.gif

Justin have been working on those 13 KGBH SE's for more than one (1) year now, and they are not finished yet...

Apr 12, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW I wish I had enough to buy the one the OP lost by posting that picture.

Huh? He lost the amp by posting the picture??
eek.gif

Apr 12, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #28 of 42
It would be much quicker if the vendor he chose for the external enclosures picked up the pace
wink.gif

But I wouldn't want anything rushed.

Apr 13, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He don't!
wink.gif

Justin have been working on those 13 KGBH SE's for more than one (1) year now, and they are not finished yet...

Gotchya okay.

When i was reading like crazy to get a Stax set up i saw a lot of your postings, are you on his list or is that confidencial?
Never got to hear any electrostatic headphones, tried but one place in my area was kinda difficult and didn't have th 007 to preview and the other as well-no 007 both had just 404s i think they were.

Really hard to preview anything around here-and i am with in Los Angeles county.

DXC is about it and the owner is cool but the employees make your really have to want something to buy it there.

Apr 13, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, he had to move to the Caymans to hide from his conscience! I think that Santa's the root of all this out of control spending.

I can personally vouch for the existence of this place, and have indeed listened to most of it - what you don't see is the speaker rig, which is all this and more. Tis a dangerous thing to ask what can be spent on this hobby of ours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back